St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Was at the st molaise gaels v owenmore gaels game today. We were ahead by only a point at HT with a strong breeze at our backs. Got a lucky goal from 45 thanks to poor GK. Owenmore in fairness played all the football and are young team. In 2nd owenmore kicked game away, lacked composure shooting with wind even from frees. Lucky for us we won by 2pts. Our club is a shambles of a management team. Hope a new set up in place next year. We are playing with 3 passengers at present, at no9,11 and 15.. not good enough even for junior. Quinn, mchugh and wilson obviously big loss..What position were you playing Owenmoresider ;)?....only joking..

Looking back on the leitrim game and our lack of scoring forwards youd wonder how MARTIN FEENEY was or is not ever being given a chance with county. He isnt the most phyiscal but has a lethal left foot. He is miles better than sean flannery who I see is back. That to me is a joke and confirms to me why a county like sligo has to wait 32 yrs for a connaght title. Funny thing too is wilson playing for county seniors at midfield now, at minor he was disgracefully dropped by kilcoyne off the panel before the championship 2yrs ago.

Sligo u21s play tomorrow, Ill be there but im not looking forward to it. Corcoran reffing it and will know doubt ruin the gameas a spectle. I wish them well but they were very poor a few weeks back against fermanagh so Im not expecting much...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

The body is still in rag order after the 2 games in 24 hours. In both games we were chasing the game on a heavy pitch after facing the breeze in the first half and unfortunately it told in the last ten minutes on Saturday when we were unable to finish off Ballisodare. So after a great result on Friday it has to be looked on as a point dropped on Saturday. B'dare had a strongish outfit, no soccer this weekend and no game the day before and they were well up for it. Certainly if they played every day like they did against us their results would be a lot better. Elsewhere in Division 4 you had an interesting result with Calry drawing with Mary's. I think its going to be quite a good division with teams taking points off each other all the time.

Great win for our seniors on Sunday away to Curry. Granted Curry were missing quite a few but not many go up there and get anything. A late goal followed by a winning point from Karol O'Neill meant we sort of nicked it at the end but in truth we were worthy of at least a draw. That ended Curry's 100% start and elsewhere Harps stopped Ballymotes winning streak. Easkey picked up a good point away to Tourlestrane and Bunninadden beat a weakened Tubber (whose manager packed it in I believe after the game). So everyone has either 2, 3 or 4 points in Div 1. Geevagh's good run continued with a good point away to Mary's and Drumcliffes revival continued with a 6 point win over Calry. Farnans got off the mark with a draw against Harps 2nds and Castleconnors hopes of a return to Div 1 suffered another setback with a 2 point defeat to Shamrock Gaels. Molaise Gaels had a good weekend in Div 3 - sneaking a win on Friday against Owenmore Gaels but thumping Michaels on Sunday. Owemore Gaels recovered to earn two points against Curry with a 1 point win but I hear that co u21 'keeper Jason Farrell played and got injured putting him in doubt for next weekend. John's racked up another win and Enniscrone won the Tireragh derby against Pats.

Next weekend the warm up comps are on instead of the league. Our seniors need a draw against Bunninadden to get to the final of the Pick n Choose while our intermediates are out of the Abbott Cup already so will play a dead rubber against Calry.

Overall the league look tight but maybe is the time of year and heavy pitches being a great leveller. Time will tell.

SLIGONIAN

Ya we hammered Michaels 2-13 to 4pts so was a good weekend and our minors had comfortable win over toulestrane this evening. Played alot better against michaels and everything just clicked 1 to 15.

Supermanscat

So Brennan is gone from Tubber, i honestly thought he would have won somethin with them apart from the kernan cup of course. Yeah Curry lost their 100% record, was talkin to a coolera player and he said Curry were missin their keeper and sub keeper whick would have made the diference. Apparently Davey was kickin some fine scores. Harps are coming alomg nicely but i think it will be tourlestranes year. They seem confident.

I was in the stands for the U21 game and thoght it was excellent. They showed hunger that some of our seniors could look at, Gilmartin was excellent as was Henry. Farells saves were vital and he should be back at the weekend, only slight injury. Coen held his nerve for the free kicks, and noel Gaughan shoes a maturity well beyond his years. His Brother was excellent. Credit should be given to John Murphy for finally giving the U21 job to a seperate manager, im sure Jordan has enogh on his plate anyway!! Are many going to Roscommon? Is Scanlon back??

SLIGONIAN

Im going and am looking forward to it. Was fierce impressed with our performance level the last day. There is a u21 thread on the other county board so will give my hopefully happy review on that. Roscommon are hastings cup winners and its the all ireland minor team so a huge task for us.

Ive also heard that O Hara appeal on sending off was successful which makes him eligible for fermanagh. Need to get this confirmed as its only a rumour at the min. But a welcome one if true.

magpie seanie

Did anyone see the fixtures for next weekend? Are they for real? Still haven't managed the art of bilocation so I could have trouble this weekend.

Teeling Gael

Think their has to be a mistake on your intermediate one Seanie. Worried and all as I am about your ability to bilocate, I think ST Michaels who effectively have the very same team playing ye in Division 4 and us in division 3 at the one time will struggle even more !!

Credit to sligogaa.ie for a very up to date website but am finding the new fixtures/ results section hard to follow. Is it just me ??

magpie seanie

I think its improving all the time but it still has a few gremlins. Overall though its progress.

Teeling Gael

Dont particuliarily want to a have a very specific Sligo U21 chat on the national page so if can indulge me on local forum making a couple of points about our U21's.

Obviously its extremely disappointing to lose a match when 5 points up at half time, a wind in your backs and a man up. Roscommon obviously improved but we froze fairly dramactically.

When the margin between victory and defeat is so narrow , one tries to look at what could have bridged the gap. . Every club and county team has players who cant or wont committ but for a small county like Sligo to see players of Adrian Mc Intyre, Pat Cawley and Jason Marrens abilities not involved hurts Sligo much more than the bigger counties.

No nothing of Keith Raymond apart from he is an outstanding sportsman. Again perhaps he isnt good enough ( he played midfield for U21s last year though) , perhaps he simply is in the bracket mentioned above(in that he simply didnt want to be involved) but I hope he wasnt involved because he was a dual player and couldnt give the necessary committment. Dual players are rare and obviously particuliarily so in Sligo and if this was the case , then surely some kind of accomodation could have been reached. As I say , I know nothing of the guy or why he wasnt involved but again like the 3 mentioned above, its a shame he wasnt involved.

My biggest gripe though is the age old battle in Sligo with soccer. Gary Curran is probably (one of)the best player(s) at U21 level in Sligo and he is now lucky to make the bench for Sligo Rovers. For Sligo GAA to advance , we cant afford to be losing battles for players like Gary Curran with the Rovers. There surely is enough finances involved with patrons of Sligo GAA that players like Gary Curran are so well looked (decent job , college scholarship etc)  than actual money with Rovers isnt enough to entice him  out of Sligo GAA. The margin between victory and defeat is that small.

Mano

Quote from: Teeling Gael on March 31, 2008, 10:41:44 AM
Every club and county team has players who cant or wont committ but for a small county like Sligo to see players of Adrian Mc Intyre, Pat Cawley and Jason Marrens abilities not involved hurts Sligo much more than the bigger counties.

As far as i'm aware Adrian McIntyre was on the panel. Why he wasn't selected to start or even come on when they were in trouble in the second half is anyones guess. He is a much better player than his clubmate in midfield

SLIGONIAN

I have to say i am suprised at lack of debate from the Sligo lads about last weekend. Unless Im wrong there are 9/10 sligo lads using this message board.

I was at all Both the u21 and NFL game and caught the last 15mins of CML game. To say it was depressing is an understatement. I have lost complete confidence in management of seniors. Can anyone justify naughton at FB and Mcnamara at CHB? It is beyond stupid. Louth will hammer us. Bringing in Sean Flannery is another joke and I know kent is behind that. No pace and not even close to county level.

Also our u21 match was lost on the line. Gaughan was getting roasted by kenny who played as 3rd midfielder, ross just kept feeding him with ball and our dumb dahs just watched on and made other changes.

There is a reason we only win connaght so little and why we never do at underage. Our men selected over teams havnt a clue what there at. Like con o meara for example selector on u21 team that man had no football in him. Hes big and tall and had the physic but no brains. He was the man running up the line last sat. A joke. Game was lost on the line.

With all due respect teeling gael, I see this often where lads talk about curran, leave him with rovers. I mean all my life I see these guys with physics to play county and the talent but no heart or commitment. Im sure yee see it in yer clubs. Take Eoin Mchugh in my club his Dad is minor board chairman so he gets selected at county u16, minor now u21. Is he good enough no. [Edited by Mod3]

magpie seanie

I've tried to not respond to this idiot but I can't hold back any longer. I know its April fools day but I don't think that post was meant to be a joke.

The reason why there's no Sligo discussion here any more is because of you and your idiotic posts. You insult people for no good reason and you regularly display that you have no idea what you're talking about. People are tired of argiung against your schoolkid type logic. I take grave exception at what you said about Con. Con O'Meara has 3 senior county medals (which is incidentally three more than the combined total from Hughes bridge to Kinlough) and is one of the most dedicated players I've ever met. As for brains - its quite obvious that you are talking through your hole as usual with that comment. Your comments are completely inaccurate, unwarranted and downright disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Please go back to Hoganstand where the idiots there think you are great.

Gaaboardmod3

Sligonian, I have edited your post above which contained over the top personal insults towards a certain player. You cannot know what someones motivations are for playing football for Sligo. I have left in your comments about their ability, as you are entitled to your opinion, obviously, but please do not cross the line into downright insulting comments about a person's character. There is absolutely no need for it.

Buckass

The men selected over the teams haven't a clue what they're at?The U-21 team managed to pick a team and motivate them well enough to beat a much vaunted Galway side(who you dismissed as being the worst Galway underage side for years...Sean Og de Paor,the Galway selector,probably wouldn't know much) and to put a side in place that produced one of the best displays by a Sligo side since the heady days of 2002 in 1st half vs. Ros.In 2nd half a Ros side tipped as major contenders for the All-Ireland,dominated all over the field.The free man being played as a sweeper in the backs is common practice for a side with a healthy lead.Gaughan is a direct player who wreaked havoc in 1st half and he doesn't deserve to be singled out in what is a team game.Different switches could have been made,and all opinions are valid, but men who gave of their time to attend trainings and games would know the players at their disposal.
On that,your singling out of a selector from the management team reads a bit funny.I don't think he kicked any ball on the pith last Sat. What you think of a player/ex-player or his ability is your opinion but as most of your posts illustrate that isn't worth anything in any currency Gaels like to deal in.Your comment on your own club man and the inference of nepotism in his selection is scandalous.What the moderator had to remove abou your own clubman was utterly outrageous.You obviously have no appreciation of the dedication, time & effort he puts in to football.He had a good game against Galway and was brave to score the goal against Ros.He was subbed on Sat in 2nd half.Your comments display as much loyalty as knowledge.It's astounding that an untapped talent such as yours isn't sought after in his own club never mind at county level?

Owenmoresider

I'd just like to associate myself with the two above posts, an utterly ridiculous and unwarranted attack on two individuals who have proudly worn the black and white, and deserve more respect than that. To think one of them is your own clubman makes it all the worse. Granted I didn't think he had a good day on Saturday, can't comment on Galway, and he's not senior standard, but that was indeed below the belt. The other suggestion re the senior players may be probably correct in one or two cases, but no need for specifics. As for Con, well as Seanie said he has the medals to show for his efforts.

Grow up FFS. you've pissed off most or all of the Sligo posters by now, as well as Down and Rossies recently. And your AFR thread was pure beal bocht stuff, remember one reply was from a Carlow man, we could be worse off. As Pet Rabbit would say - you're an invertarite attention-seeker.