Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 25, 2021, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: Louther on May 25, 2021, 01:47:52 PM
Southgate waiting to make the big decisions and named a 33 man squad before dropping to 26 next week after the EL and CL finals.

With 33 has included a few that reckoned won't make it like TAA.

Think he the only manager to do this yet.

Portugal squad looks very strong on paper.
England have some forward line- Mount Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Greenwood, Sterling- only 2 or 3 of those will start assuming Kane up front.

It's a good job their defence and midfield is shite. Maguire is some loss.

Foden has to start.
Sterling would be last of that bunch going by this season.

Grealish hasnt played for some time.

Leaves 1 or 2 at most from from Mount, Sancho, Rashford & Greenwood.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 25, 2021, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 25, 2021, 05:27:42 PM
Goalkeepers Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

Funny how all England's quality is concentrated up front and how shite they are in MF, DF and GK. That's a shocking choice of keepers and Pope is little better. No harm but only Walker is in the same class of RB as TAA, his defensive frailties are overstated by the media. Bar the Real Madrid goal there's hardly another goal I could think he's to blame for. Who's the starting centre half's there? Mings and Stones? Jesus no wonder Gomez was starting for England. Mings is a walking liability.

No harm but are Henderson (who won't go due to injury), Rice and Prowse the only MF who can play centre mid? To my count there's 13 forwards named in that 33 man squad
Dean Henderson is a decent keeper but probably won't start. Slab is top class but may or may not be fit. That midfield is brutal

Its this type of talk that has our friends across the water thinking they'll win it.

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 25, 2021, 03:54:31 PM
The English squad will be as strong as any in the competition. Some good players will not make the cut. Unlikely to win it though with Southgate in charge.

England have been hyped up since they beat Mickey Mouse teams on the way to the WC semis. They, and Southgate, will be found out in this tournament.

If they win their group, they'll play one of France, Portugal or Germany. Come second, they could play Spain. Granted, Spain/Germany aren't the teams they were before, but England rarely beat those sort of teams when it really matters in tournaments.

Hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2021, 02:28:50 PM
He offers something very few right backs do. He is very susceptible to being caught out but offensively he's great. I noticed Lineker saying on twitter he reckoned he would be better up the field a bit - I'd agree.
As a Liverpool fan I think he's an horrendously bad defender. I doubt there's many worse right backs in the league, when judged purely on a defensive basis. Makes defensive mistakes in most games and the Palace game was no exception.

When Liverpool are fully fit we protect him. Sometimes by having most of the ball, the rest of the time due to the pace of Gomez, the reading of situations by Virgil, and probably most of all the workrate of midfielders covering for him, like Hendo. Most of the time TAA is not really playing right back at all, it's effectively right wing back.

Apart from the quality world class 10s that are in a few clubs (like KDB and Fernandes) he is the best ball player in the league in my opinion. Crossing and passing fantastic. Absolutely critical to Liverpool.

But you can't play him right back against top quality opposition, unless you change your system to protect him defensively and get the best out of him offensively. I would play all the others ahead of him, but would have him on the bench in case you went behind.

Given the paucity of midfielders England have, I'm disappointed Southgate didn't try him in a run of 3 or 4 games in midfield, to see how he would have done. I think clearly he'd do well on right midfield, but I also think he could be a top class central midfielder too.

Armagh18

Quote from: Hound on May 25, 2021, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2021, 02:28:50 PM
He offers something very few right backs do. He is very susceptible to being caught out but offensively he's great. I noticed Lineker saying on twitter he reckoned he would be better up the field a bit - I'd agree.
As a Liverpool fan I think he's an horrendously bad defender. I doubt there's many worse right backs in the league, when judged purely on a defensive basis. Makes defensive mistakes in most games and the Palace game was no exception.

When Liverpool are fully fit we protect him. Sometimes by having most of the ball, the rest of the time due to the pace of Gomez, the reading of situations by Virgil, and probably most of all the workrate of midfielders covering for him, like Hendo. Most of the time TAA is not really playing right back at all, it's effectively right wing back.

Apart from the quality world class 10s that are in a few clubs (like KDB and Fernandes) he is the best ball player in the league in my opinion. Crossing and passing fantastic. Absolutely critical to Liverpool.

But you can't play him right back against top quality opposition, unless you change your system to protect him defensively and get the best out of him offensively. I would play all the others ahead of him, but would have him on the bench in case you went behind.

Given the paucity of midfielders England have, I'm disappointed Southgate didn't try him in a run of 3 or 4 games in midfield, to see how he would have done. I think clearly he'd do well on right midfield, but I also think he could be a top class central midfielder too.
If you're England and you're playing against France, Portugal, Germany etc who do you want marking the like of Mbappe? Definitely not Trent. Think it's ridiculous that AWB hasn't been selected as I'd put money on him getting the better of any left winger.

Armagh18

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 25, 2021, 06:14:29 PM

Defenders Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

Funny how all England's quality is concentrated up front and how shite they are in MF, DF and GK. That's a shocking choice of keepers and Pope is little better. No harm but only Walker is in the same class of RB as TAA, his defensive frailties are overstated by the media. Bar the Real Madrid goal there's hardly another goal I could think he's to blame for. Who's the starting centre half's there? Mings and Stones? Jesus no wonder Gomez was starting for England. Mings is a walking liability.

No harm but are Henderson (who won't go due to injury), Rice and Prowse the only MF who can play centre mid? To my count there's 13 forwards named in that 33 man squad
Dean Henderson is a decent keeper but probably won't start. Slab is top class but may or may not be fit. That midfield is brutal

Its this type of talk that has our friends across the water thinking they'll win it.
Meant slab head, not slab. (Different type of top class).

But Maguire is a massive player for England, no denying it.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 25, 2021, 10:43:06 PM

He's a massive player for England as all their other Centre Halfs are pish barring Stones who's prone to the odd mind fart.
Maguire is far from World Class in proper World Class terms.

From a defensive MF pov they really need a fit Henderson, the lad from Leeds is OK, but the rest like to bomb forward and leave ropey Maguire and Stones exposed. And if you add TAA into the mix then the right side of their defence is badly exposed when TAA bombs forward and they lose the ball which will happen more often than not against the decent sides.

Home advantage may stand to them a bit, but I'd be expecting them to get found out quarter final stages or if they're lucky the semi's.

Armagh18

Quote from: johnnycool on May 26, 2021, 09:33:02 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 25, 2021, 10:43:06 PM

He's a massive player for England as all their other Centre Halfs are pish barring Stones who's prone to the odd mind fart.
Maguire is far from World Class in proper World Class terms.

From a defensive MF pov they really need a fit Henderson, the lad from Leeds is OK, but the rest like to bomb forward and leave ropey Maguire and Stones exposed. And if you add TAA into the mix then the right side of their defence is badly exposed when TAA bombs forward and they lose the ball which will happen more often than not against the decent sides.

Home advantage may stand to them a bit, but I'd be expecting them to get found out quarter final stages or if they're lucky the semi's.
Henderson (if fit) and Rice is a decent base. With their forwards they'll always have a shout of outscoring the opposition.

Portugal have to be in with a good shout, seem to have a strong squad. Would love to see Ronaldo win it again.

yellowcard

England are pre tournament favourites and have probably the best squad of players they have had for a major tournament since the golden generation under Sven Goran Erikssen. However we have seen them overhyped before and fail to deliver. There are weaknesses at centre back and Pickford is a potential liability if he starts in goals but it is a wide open tournament and any one of about 8 teams could win it.

seafoid

I saw Panini Euro 2020 sticker
books in a shop the other day.
Waste not, want not.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2021, 01:03:35 PM
England are pre tournament favourites and have probably the best squad of players they have had for a major tournament since the golden generation under Sven Goran Erikssen. However we have seen them overhyped before and fail to deliver. There are weaknesses at centre back and Pickford is a potential liability if he starts in goals but it is a wide open tournament and any one of about 8 teams could win it.

In fairness, at International Level, despite the clangers he drops at Club Level....he doesn't really let England down.

I think Henderson or Pope are probably better keepers. Southgate doesn't really strike me as a manager willing to plunge the knife in ruthlessly though.

Taylor

That game last night should help make Southgates mind up about who to start up front.

Sacho, Foden, Kane & possibly Mount to start.

The rest are all bang out of form

trileacman

Pope not a great keeper but miles in front of the rest of England's choices. Henderson is just bang average and Pickford mixes the good with the dreadful.

Probably be
                            Pickford
Walker          Stones          Slab( will he be fit?)   Chilwell
          Prowse.       Rice.     ?????

Foden.      Kane.      Mount

Slab head is not a great defender but he is a good one and has a good scoring record for a CB. He attracts a lot of criticism here as a 70million pound Englishman playing for united.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gawa316

Is that true? I would at least have France, Belgium, Portugal above them and probably Germany and Spain as well

Taylor

Quote from: gawa316 on May 27, 2021, 03:04:23 PM

Is that true? I would at least have France, Belgium, Portugal above them and probably Germany and Spain as well

Engerland 4/1
France 5/1
Belgium 13/2
Spain 7/1
Italy 15/2
Germany 15/2
Portugal 9/1

Portugal are the stand out price IMHO