Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

MA was too polarising for Derry, with the Dissidents firmly entrenched there, even with SF calling them out there was always going to be a swing to the middle. Especially with the historical support for the SDLP there I think people just get turned off by MA and it is easier for them to go in and vote for a 'non-offensive' candidate.

Angelo

Bobby Sands 40 years dead today.

In speaking of international politics, we cannot ignore what is happening in Northern Ireland. I feel it is my duty to refer to this problem. In my opinion, Irish patriots are writing one of the most heroic chapters in human history.

They have earned the respect and admiration of the world, and likewise they deserve its support. Ten of them have already died in the most moving gesture of sacrifice, selflessness and courage one could ever imagine.

Humanity should feel ashamed that this terrible crime is being committed before its very eyes. These young fighters do not ask for independence or make impossible demands to put an end to their strike.

They ask only for something as simple as the recognition of what they actually are: political prisoners...

The stubbornness, intransigence, cruelty and insensitivity of the British Government before the international community concerning the problem of the Irish patriots and their hunger strike until death remind us of Torquemada and the atrocities committed by the Inquisition during the apogee of the Middle Ages...

Let tyrants tremble before men who are capable of dying for their ideals, after 60 days on hunger strike!

It is high time for the world community to put an end to this repulsive atrocity through denunciation and pressure.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Evil Genius

Quote from: Angelo on May 05, 2021, 02:04:20 PM
Bobby Sands 40 years dead today.

"They ask only for something as simple as the recognition of what they actually are: political prisoners..."

Aye, well if you want to know all about political prisoners, the boul Fidel was yer man to go to!

During his nearly five decades of rule in Cuba, Fidel Castro built a repressive system that punished virtually all forms of dissent, a dark legacy that lives on even after his death.

During Castro's rule, thousands of Cubans were incarcerated in abysmal prisons, thousands more were harassed and intimidated, and entire generations were denied basic political freedoms. Cuba made improvements in health and education, though many of these gains were undermined by extended periods of economic hardship and by repressive policies.

"As other countries in the region turned away from authoritarian rule, only Fidel Castro's Cuba continued to repress virtually all civil and political rights," said José Miguel Vivanco, Americas director at Human Rights Watch. "Castro's draconian rule and the harsh punishments he meted out to dissidents kept his repressive system rooted firmly in place for decades."

The repression was codified in law and enforced by security forces, groups of civilian sympathizers tied to the state, and a judiciary that lacked independence. Such abusive practices generated a pervasive climate of fear in Cuba, which hindered the exercise of fundamental rights, and pressured Cubans to show their allegiance to the state while discouraging criticism.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/11/26/cuba-fidel-castros-record-repression

... it can be conservatively and very broadly estimated that at least 500,000 people have suffered political imprisonment at one time or another [in Cuba] since January 1, 1959, including  those enduring short  detention. It's important to consider that, in six decades, the  Cuban population has almost doubled from around 6 million in 1959 to around 11 million today. Therefore, the political imprisonment of  tens of  thousands in the  sixties has  a much higher proportional repercussion, aside from having certain different characteristics (forced labor, physical abuse, severe malnutrition, etc., and organized responses by of prisoners such as "standing," recurring hunger strikes, etc.).
Comparatively, the number of Cuban political prisoners during the military dictatorship of Batista (1952-1958)  and  previous  governments  was many  times smaller.

https://cubaarchive.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/How-many-Cuban-political-prisoners.pdf

Even the good old Guardian had something to say:

Fidel Castro's dark legacy: abuses, draconian rule and 'ruthless suppression'

Castro hounded critics, scorned elections and ran a police state – facts which impressive statistics about literacy and life expectancy cannot erase

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/27/fidel-castro-dictator-legacy-abuses
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Angelo

Castro is one of the greatest political figures of the past century.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on May 05, 2021, 08:28:05 PM
Castro is one of the greatest political figures of the past decade.

He retired more than 10 years ago and has been dead for the last 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Milltown Row2

Just watched some clips on MA, my god, how did she get the nod in the first place?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2021, 10:38:55 PM
Just watched some clips on MA, my god, how did she get the nod in the first place?

she had an explosive start.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2021, 10:41:13 PM

Sounds as if she's on the whiskey when talking
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2021, 10:47:15 PM

Never overly paid attention to her before but her highlights reel on the news tonight she reminded on the erratic but hilarious aunt out of Derry Girls (hi)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 05, 2021, 11:11:35 PM

Never overly paid attention to her before but her highlights reel on the news tonight she reminded on the erratic but hilarious aunt out of Derry Girls (hi)

Yes, I thought that

Gold

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 05, 2021, 11:11:35 PM

I literally said the same earlier!

Like a spoof comedy character
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Always thought for sf to really progress they needed rid of ones like her.

Snapchap

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2021, 07:23:39 AM
Always thought for sf to really progress they needed rid of ones like her.
I assume you mean in Derry? Elsewhere, SF have done nothing but progress dramatically.

Martina Anderson may not have been the greatest political communicator but she spent 13 years in jail for her role in fighting for a wholly just cause and for that she has my respect. It's a mark of her character that she hasn't thrown the dummy out of the pram over how this was handled, accepted the reasons for it and remains committed to the party. Best wishes to her.