Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on February 03, 2021, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: marty34 on February 03, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
So what is Boris' next step?

Will he do anything?

Blame the EU of course.

You'd hardly expect him or his Government to accept responsible for the out-workings of a legal agreement they diligently negotiated.

Yes, I understand that.  That's Boris.

But what happens next - will there be 'soft' changes to it?

JPGJOHNNYG

David Dunseith was great. I used to enjoy the show when he was host Crawley is alright but nothing in comparison but still light yrs better than Nolan.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/48694513-5532-4450-a3e5-cfdede6482be

Making the Northern Ireland protocol work
An EU mistake has emboldened critics of the arrangement designed to avoid an Irish border
THE EDITORIAL BOARD

In the negotiations over Britain's withdrawal from the EU, the status of Northern Ireland — and the need to avoid creating a "hard" border with the south — became a dominant issue. Now, weeks after the post-Brexit transition period ended, have come two reminders of just how high the stakes are. On Friday, the European Commission raised the spectre of export controls on the island of Ireland as part of its misguided attempt to control movements of vaccines. Three days later, post-Brexit checks on animal products and food were suspended at Northern Irish ports after threats of violence towards those working there. The issue needs sensitive handling. Violence cannot be allowed to have a role in determining how the province is governed.

The suspension of border checks announced by Northern Ireland's agriculture minister Edwin Poots — a critic both of the post-Brexit Northern Ireland protocol and his party leader, the province's first minister Arlene Foster — should be temporary. Attempts by either loyalist or nationalist paramilitaries to disrupt Northern Ireland's functioning should be met with a restatement that the province is governed democratically and in accordance with the rule of law. Legitimate grievances over shortages in supermarkets and other problems in supplying goods need to be handled through democratic institutions, not intimidation.

That the suspension of checks followed a mistake by Brussels is doubly unfortunate. The ill-advised move by commission president Ursula von der Leyen to trigger article 16 of the protocol, which allows either side to unilaterally suspend any aspect of it because of "economic, societal or environmental difficulties", played into the hands of those who opposed the protocol in the first place. The decision to invoke it with scant consultation suggests Ms von der Leyen and some of her senior officials have not yet grasped the unique position of Northern Ireland and how many in the province have an interest in disrupting its stability.

The mistake was swiftly corrected, after frantic interventions by officials in Dublin and London. But the protocol remains fragile. Eurosceptic Conservatives and unionist politicians in Northern Ireland have called for the UK similarly to trigger article 16 in response to shortages of some goods in supermarkets and troubles with imports. The provision was only meant to be used in extreme circumstances but its brief invocation by Brussels over the vaccine row emboldens British critics of the "Irish Sea border". 

The UK and the EU must redouble their efforts to demonstrate the protocol can be made to work. In the words of the EU's Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier they need to "de-dramatise" the border: that means engaging with the joint EU-UK committee responsible for its implementation, not only when problems occur but proactively to head them off. The border will only become harder when a set of "grace periods" end in April.

Britain and the EU have called for a "reset" in relations over the province. That is wise. As rancour over negotiations fades, there is a chance to compromise. For the EU that may mean extending the grace periods and derogations from rules specific to the island of Ireland. Britain could consider adopting EU food hygiene rules, as Switzerland does, reducing frictions at the border. The EU and UK need to be constantly mindful of the sensitivities of both communities in the province. But, in the meantime, it is unconscionable that hardline unionists should be allowed to dictate whether the Brexit agreement is implemented in good faith.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on February 03, 2021, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 03, 2021, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: marty34 on February 03, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
So what is Boris' next step?

Will he do anything?

Blame the EU of course.

You'd hardly expect him or his Government to accept responsible for the out-workings of a legal agreement they diligently negotiated.

Yes, I understand that.  That's Boris.

But what happens next - will there be 'soft' changes to it?

There probably will be some tweaking around the edges but the EU won't budge in protecting the EU common market and the standards that go with it.
DUP want the NI protocol binned but that ship has sailed when they sunk Theresa May to appease the ERG, the dickheads.

mackers

Quote from: johnnycool on February 03, 2021, 04:09:21 PM
DUP want the NI protocol binned but that ship has sailed when they sunk Theresa May to appease the ERG, the dickheads.
That's it in a nutshell right there but I have yet to hear any journalist/commentator pinning them on that.  They had free trade with both the EU and GB under May's deal with the business sector jumping up and down telling them to take it.  They turned their back on it for a harder Brexit.  It's frustrating that they're getting a free ride on this.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

johnnycool

Quote from: mackers on February 03, 2021, 04:48:10 PM
That's it in a nutshell right there but I have yet to hear any journalist/commentator pinning them on that.  They had free trade with both the EU and GB under May's deal with the business sector jumping up and down telling them to take it.  They turned their back on it for a harder Brexit.  It's frustrating that they're getting a free ride on this.

Because there are no decent journalists in BBC NI and UTV.

Those in GB don't give a shíte

trailer

I think people do need to recognise that there are some issues with the protocol. Groupage and the sheer amount of paperwork and there's obviously a lot of grace periods. EHC's for Supermarkets, Customs decs for parcels, Pet docs and some meat products. So these issues need sorted.
This does need rectified. DUP are going about it the wrong way but I have probs with SDLP, SF and Alliance acting as if everything is fine.

bennydorano

Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2021, 05:35:05 PM
I think people do need to recognise that there are some issues with the protocol. Groupage and the sheer amount of paperwork and there's obviously a lot of grace periods. EHC's for Supermarkets, Customs decs for parcels, Pet docs and some meat products. So these issues need sorted.
This does need rectified. DUP are going about it the wrong way but I have probs with SDLP, SF and Alliance acting as if everything is fine.
I agree, if this ends with the Protocol amended to make the lives of NI residents & businesses less complicated then happy days. It's not a - because Unionism wants it it must be detrimental to Nationalists type situation.

BennyCake

Quote from: mackers on February 03, 2021, 04:48:10 PM

But that would have meant an all island economy similar to pre-Brexit, would it not?

But sure they couldn't be having that, because that would be like another step towards a United Ireland. That's bad enough, turning that down, screwing the business sector. But failing to deal with covid on an All Ireland basis, didn't cost jobs, it cost lives!

Rossfan

Donaldson on RTÉ wants something which would allow stuff going from GB to "NI" only to flow without restriction.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on February 03, 2021, 02:08:15 PM
Ian Óg wanting Boris to "be the unionist we need you to be"
That was Junior delving into his new age positive affirmations, tells Johnson 'be the best unionist he can be'.

restorepride

Quote from: trailer on February 03, 2021, 05:35:05 PM
You are right, everything isn't fine, so rejoin the EU!?

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2021, 06:34:38 PM
Donaldson on RTÉ wants something which would allow stuff going from GB to "NI" only to flow without restriction.

This is a bit like saying that you'll only piss in your end of the pool.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Hell slap it up them. Ive been waiting for this since 2016 and I will enjoy every minute of it.

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2021, 07:24:50 PM
Hell slap it up them. Ive been waiting for this since 2016 and I will enjoy every minute of it.

Schadenfreude, totally get it. But it will effect all our lives. If these grace periods end and things aren't sorted it'll probably be pretty shitty for us all.