Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRIDGE LAD

Well said 5ive times, couldn't have agreed with you enough!

Uladh

BRIDGE LAD

Yes i agree with you, but has more to offer than Packy does. I think he will figure in a few games. He is only 20, still plenty of time.

BRIDGE LAD

How does anyone think how James McGovern played last night? Do you think he'll make it on to the down team?

Caitlin

Uladh, winning is a habit. We have a tough opener, home to the Connaught champions, but it will be a Saturday night in Newry and with a reasonable Mc Kenna campaign behind us, we can approach the league in better shape .Last year we went to Drogheda with no wins  and had a good first half but ended up well beaten- this year we will go there again with hopefully a win over Sligo under our belt- judge us then.
We saw the best and worst of Ronan Murtagh last night-  a stupid personal squabble lost us possession with a score on when the ref saw him hit your man and gave UUJ a free. The team must come before the individual- that is one of the things that went wrong under POR, the players taking their cue from the manager, who squared up to just about every other manager we played.
Then, in the last minute, he put his body on the line with a super block  to deny them a certain score.
I thought James Mc Govern played the way he does for Down-OK but nothing more - a panel player.It's a pity his cousin is a bit small as we could do with that tenacity at number three.

Lecale2

cloneman

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 20, 2008, 07:41:42 PM
Does anyone have last nights starting XV and if possible what subs were used. I missed the first few minutes and didnt get the line-ups. I know Murtagh came on in the half back line and Downey for Magee, but I cant remember the rest.

1 B McVeigh
2 C McGovern
3 G McArdle
4 M Cole
5 D O'Hanlon
6 L Doyle
7 K McGuigan
8 D Gordan
9 J Lynch
10 J Fegan
11 K McKernan
12 D Hughes
13 J McAreavey
14 C McGee
15 R Sexton

Subs:
C Gribben for J McAreavey
P Downey for C McGee
P Turley for J Lynch
R Murtagh for D O'Hanlon
J Clarke for K McKernan

uselessfootballer

Noamh Pol CLG, is the much vaunted underage set-up that you reffer to the same one that during 2007 seen your U-8s not get a single game, your U-10s withdraw from 3 of the 6 East Down Blitz's and play in only one tournament, your U-12s also only have 1 tournament appearance and the U-16s and minors fail to fulfill their league fixtures.
The club is progressing fair enough but you should carefully limit your usage of those rose tinted glasses.

Indeed, come down to McNamee park on Sunday Mornings from February and see what I'm taking about.  Over 130 kids from age 8-14 training with qualified coaches and senior footballers...Not to many in this county have the pool of kids that we are now moulding.  Over the next 5 years we will begin the see the fruits of this, our current U-14s are the first of the crop since we began the programme and they went undeafeted this year.  Don't you worry about us, Bredagh, Carryduff and ourselves have by far the biggest populated parishes in the County, and there will be a shift in power in the next 10 years, Bredagh have taken the first steps and we will be next   

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:13:46 PM by Naomh Pol CLG » 

Naomh Pol CLG I'm don't know how to achieve the boxed quote function on the board but I'm keen to contine our wee conversation from Friday.
I'm not denying that your club is progessing and that significant efforts are being made with underage structures, but response again underlines the rose-tinted view you have of this work. 130 kids training on McNamee park on a Sunday morning I think you'll find the numbers peaked at about 80.
If people with a more realistic view (than yourself) of the work that needs to be achieved are overseeing the club's development programme then there may be a chance of devlivering on some of the promise, but you would do well to remember that your club is coming from a lowly position and that whilst all success is relevant it might be prudent for some of this improvement to be tangible before you go announcing a St. Paul's takeover to the whole county.

the milkman

Was away at the weekend so Missed the UUJ. game on sat evening  >:( 

Could someone give a wee report on the players and how the preformed?

5 Sams

Have a look at Page 243 0f this thread ::)
The Aristocrat Years

Fíor Gael

Re; Down Vs UUJ, A solid enough performance by Down, and a marked improvement on anything we they have produced in this last couple of years. Still too many silly mistakes though especially from Danny Hughes and Kevin McGuigan, both of whom had actually quite good games. As has been stated by a few posters earlier, John Clarke was excellent when he came on and his willingness to take responsibility and put the wall over the bar from distance is something that has been badly missing from Down teams for a while.

amallon

That last post of mine isn't actually too bad considering it was written near 5 on Sunday morning.  :)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Fíor Gael

Quote from: amallon on January 21, 2008, 12:22:23 PM
That last post of mine isn't actually too bad considering it was written near 5 on Sunday morning.  :)

You must have got a dirty bit in Grants??  ;D ;D

amallon

There hasn't been a dirty bit in Grants in years! You'd need to go to Gormans for that!  ;D
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

T O Hare

there is nt much about this weather in gormans either aidan
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"