Peter Canavan
28 (65.1%)
Stevie O'Neill
0 (0%)
Other (Please State)
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Club Rossa

Without any hint of Ardboe bias i will say Frank McGuigan.

Club Rossa

It's very hard to compare era's,Canavan and McGuigan were both exceptional and you could make a very strong case for either.
I have been watching Tyrone for 29 years and here's the best 15 i have seen.
1.Finbarr McConnell
2.Ryan McMenamin
3.Cormac McAnallen
4.Fay Devlin
5.KevinMcCabe
6.Conor Gormley
7.Philip Jordan
8.Eugene McKenna
9.Plunkett Donaghy
10.Brian Dooher
11.Brian McGuigan
12.Sean Cavanagh
13.Stephen O'Neill
14.Frank McGuigan
15.Peter Canavan

tyrone86

Not that i'm old enough to remember him but surely Frankie Donnelly should be on that list

ExcellentDriver

Quote from: Dell on July 07, 2011, 02:33:17 PM
Don't know much about soccer or George best!!! But Canavan without doubt was the greatest and anyone lucky enough to have seen him in his prime will agree. His achievements, records and medal haul are proof. For a wee man he had everything a genius!

Surely Canavan was the greatest of his Generation and deserved his two All-Irelands, but look at the side he played alongside then (Snout, Ricey, Cavanagh, Dooher, Stevie O'Neill). King Frank was winning Ulster Medals for Tyrone when they were no-hopers.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

EC Unique

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 07, 2011, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: Dell on July 07, 2011, 02:33:17 PM
Don't know much about soccer or George best!!! But Canavan without doubt was the greatest and anyone lucky enough to have seen him in his prime will agree. His achievements, records and medal haul are proof. For a wee man he had everything a genius!

Surely Canavan was the greatest of his Generation and deserved his two All-Irelands, but look at the side he played alongside then (Snout, Ricey, Cavanagh, Dooher, Stevie O'Neill). King Frank was winning Ulster Medals for Tyrone when they were no-hopers.

That was Canavan's second generation. The first one that he took to an AI final in 95 were not as talented. He scored 11 out of 12 points that day for Tyrone.
He was the best forward to ever play the game never mind Tyrone.

Dell

Still discussing this one in pub one of the boys said much the same as EC said Peter was more than just the scorer he actually made the boys around him better and that's why we have 3 AI's
light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until they speak

Nally Stand

Could be a bit of club bias too on my behalf here but it's hard to look past Frank Donnelly. In the words of Joe Brolly, "To this day he retains the record for the highest ever individual tally in a competitive inter-county game. Wait for it . . . he posted 4-11 against Fermanagh in the days when men were men and the edge of the square was a war-zone."

In club terms alone, he played senior football in four different decades (1947-1971), making his senior debut at just 14 and winning his first senior championship medal at age 16.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ONeill

Audi Hamilton was class in his day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Very hard to compare Mc Guigan and Canavan.

The thing that separates them most is time.

twenty one yard free

yes hard to call but not being bias but canavan a great forward yes no doubt but mc guigan could ve played anywhere from fullback and up
canavan has great haul of medals in his career
mc guigan had rught bagfull by the age of 21

EC Unique

Quote from: twenty one yard free on July 07, 2011, 11:05:21 PM
yes hard to call but not being bias but canavan a great forward yes no doubt but mc guigan could ve played anywhere from fullback and upcanavan has great haul of medals in his career

When you read what the thread title is your point means nothing.

Tyrone Gaa

If your counting Sean Cavanagh as a forward then he is definately worth a shout,  Gifted all round player blessed with pace, power, height and knows were the goals are.  Still plenty left in the tank yet and has been inspirational in Tyrones All Ireland Successes,  Peter Canavan said he is the best player he ever played alongside
Living the dream!!!

twenty one yard free

Quote from: EC Unique on July 08, 2011, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: twenty one yard free on July 07, 2011, 11:05:21 PM
yes hard to call but not being bias but canavan a great forward yes no doubt but mc guigan could ve played anywhere from fullback and upcanavan has great haul of medals in his career

When you read what the thread title is your point means nothing.

my point is canavan couldn t laced franks boots

Dell

"canavan couldn't laced franks boots" Are u 5? My daddy's bigger than ur daddy! Put the rattle back in the pram if u have nothing nice to say then say nothing or u will have 2 stand in the corner.
light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until they speak

Club Rossa

Calm down Peter ;D
He's entitled to his opinion like the rest of us.