Clubs spend €30 million on managers

Started by Rossfan, February 02, 2010, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I was reading a report in  one of Sunday's Papers about the Tipp County Secretary talked about the fact that clubs Nationwide spent about €30m on outside Managers last year.
Think of all the uses that money could have been put to rather than lining the pockets of chancers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

passedit

Don't Panic

passedit

32 x 30 x 120 x sum(2+1) x 52(ave close season + championship season)
Don't Panic

Zulu

I don't think there's 30 managers getting paid in many counties, not from my experience anyway and they are certainly not getting paid for 52 weeks of the year, maybe half that. Anyway i don't think it's a case of if we weren't paying that we'd have all the money to invest in more 'worthy' things. And the other point worth noting is that mangers are getting paid because (in part) there is an unwillingness on the part of club members to do the job.

Lone Shark

That seems woefully high to me. Of the twelve clubs in the Offaly SFC last year, there are only two clubs where I know the manager was getting paid, there are four clubs where I wouldn't say with any huge degree of confidence but I would guess one paid and three not if forced to, while in the other six clubs, I'd be amazed if any of the managers took anything. I know of two that I can say with absolute certainty that there was no money involved and in the other four, three of those were being managed a club stalwart, so it would be highly unlikely.

Worst case scenario, six clubs paid a manager anything meaningful - and that's in the senior championship. Three or four in intermediate and at most a couple of junior teams would be the absolute height of it - and if any junior B or junior C teams bothered to pay their managers, well then there's no hope for any of us.

Of course that's anecdotal and I realise that things are a lot different in Dublin or in Ulster, but even so I think those numbers are very fanciful. 

stephenite

passedit

Quote from: Zulu on February 03, 2010, 12:28:58 AM
I don't think there's 30 managers getting paid in many counties, not from my experience anyway and they are certainly not getting paid for 52 weeks of the year, maybe half that. Anyway i don't think it's a case of if we weren't paying that we'd have all the money to invest in more 'worthy' things. And the other point worth noting is that mangers are getting paid because (in part) there is an unwillingness on the part of club members to do the job.

Sorry short and sweet on the blackberry last night, what I'm saying is even worst worst case is less than €20m. I'd say the good people of this board could come up with a much more accurate figure starting with the number of clubs with outside managers in each county as a reference point.

I reckon 25 in Down
Don't Panic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: passedit on February 03, 2010, 08:34:59 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 03, 2010, 12:28:58 AM

Sorry short and sweet on the blackberry last night, what I'm saying is even worst worst case is less than €20m. I'd say the good people of this board could come up with a much more accurate figure starting with the number of clubs with outside managers in each county as a reference point.

I reckon 25 in Down

It is more prevalent at lower level clubs than people realise.  In the divison I play in Cork (Junior A football)  I know of 3 clubs that are paying in excess of €70 a night 3 times a week.  Our own club have a junior B hurling team and for 2 years paid a man €65 twice a week from February to probably August/September.  The same man was coaching a camogie team and getting the same and coaching his own club team for free.  He was out every night and picking up in the region of €250 a week in his hand, for junior B and camogie!!!!!  I have no issue so long as there is transparency but there should be some level of control of it as there is no way a junior B side should be paying that sort of money for a coach.

It is a serious issue and even if the figures are a small bit inflated, even €10m would be excessive.  Remember this is income free gratis and not a red cent ofd tax paid on it.  I think that Tipperary have the right idea as do Armagh with McGurn.  Make it clear and open and at least that way things can be monitored and assessed to ensure that clubs/teams are getting their money's worth.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Rossfan on February 02, 2010, 09:06:52 PM
I was reading a report in  one of Sunday's Papers about the Tipp County Secretary talked about the fact that clubs Nationwide spent about €30m on outside Managers last year.
Think of all the uses that money could have been put to rather than lining the pockets of chancers.

Bullshit sensationalist shite from an English paper

Rossfan

There are at least 2500 clubs (some of them with loads of teams ) so at an average €10,000 per club = €25m.
One bucko I know had a rate of   300 Ir Pounds a week back in 2001
So €380 upgraded to 2009 levels = €500 x 40 weeks = € 20,000.
It was a Tipp GAA man who uttered the  "Bullshit sensationalist shite from an Englissh Paper".
Maybe you dont like the facts getting in the way of your prejudices  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal

what does it matter whether it's 3mil or 30mil,it's a massive amount of money.id imagine it's round 15mil.2500 clubs,lets say half pay managers=1250.100 a training session,twice a week for 30 weeks=6000.1250x6000=7.5mil.surely half the clubs pay managers,most of them will be getting at least 100 a night,at least two sessions a week,and i cant imagine any club would train less than 30 weeks in the year.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

orangeman

at least 2 out of 3 clubs in Tyrone are paying.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2010, 06:21:56 PM
There are at least 2500 clubs (some of them with loads of teams ) so at an average €10,000 per club = €25m.
It was a Tipp GAA man who uttered the  "Bullshit sensationalist shite from an Englissh Paper".

There are 47 GAA clubs in Mayo. About 3-4 (max) are paying managers and bringing in help from outside their own club.

Wake up and dont believe everything you read in a rag like that.
Its nothing to do with any prejudice so dont be so sensitive.

Maiden1

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 04, 2010, 09:37:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

There are 47 GAA clubs in Mayo. About 3-4 (max) are paying managers and bringing in help from outside their own club.

Wake up and dont believe everything you read in a rag like that.
Its nothing to do with any prejudice so dont be so sensitive.

Every club that has an outside manager is paying the manager.  Junior clubs are paying £100+ a week for managers, clubs in higher divisions who are getting a few hundred people at the gate and maybe have a club bar/social club are paying a lot more.

If you are saying there is only 3-4 clubs in Mayo with outside managers then fair enough, I doubt it though.

Below is Down division 1 for next season.  A lot of fairly well know names, it would cost the clubs a few pounds in petrol money to get these managers to training.  I could just as easily put up division 3 or 4 and most of names would be outside managers.

Mayobridge - Eamon McEnaney
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Clonduff - Paul Lambe
Burren - Frank Dawson
Longstone - Jody Gormley
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy?
An Riocht - Stephen Poucher
Liatroim - Jarlath Austin?
Rostrevor - John Rafferty
There are no proofs, only opinions.

shark

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 03, 2010, 01:31:01 AM
That seems woefully high to me. Of the twelve clubs in the Offaly SFC last year, there are only two clubs where I know the manager was getting paid,

Well in fairness it is good to see Offaly clubs providing employment to Westmeath men during the recession....