The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

Mike who Jason who enough said no history behind anything we're doing truth hurts but is the truth we have nooooo history behind what we are doing tell me one person who is involved with our county set up who has been through the mill regarding managers etc know one ,, why ...???

Ogie

Ya your probably right, let's not try anything. That'll help us improve.

Who do you want in charge of anything? History?? Babs keating, ger Loughnane, Cyril Farrell,
all history no future.
I'm not saying their messiahs but their the only ones at the moment I know of putting anything in place, cos it's their jobs.
It's not cheddars job now to have our u14s ready for minor in 3 years .

Laoisred

History? Jesus H C...! Who wants history....we need forward- looking, future-looking, innovative people involved. Did Mickey Harte have history behind him, or Jim McGuinness? We only need a handful (with the right structures in place) and things can improve quickly. A few like John Kiely would be great. (he had no history behind him), but they are hard to come by for sure.
You cant stop trying - Cavan & Tipp footballers didn't anyway and they are provincial champions this year. We cant settle for the status quo even if many would like to see it preserved.
We have to strive for improvement and to better ourselves at all levels.

clonadmad

Quote from: town1980 on December 13, 2020, 10:30:25 PM
Take yere  head out of the sands Kilkenny ,Galway are streets ahead of us so we are wasting our here time thinking otherwise we will never win Leinster no more than the footballers so we are second third tier simple so quit the shite talk r let's just pretend

Best splinter all the hurleys and puncture all the footballs in that case

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Laoisred on December 14, 2020, 10:19:41 AM
History? Jesus H C...! Who wants history....we need forward- looking, future-looking, innovative people involved. Did Mickey Harte have history behind him, or Jim McGuinness? We only need a handful (with the right structures in place) and things can improve quickly. A few like John Kiely would be great. (he had no history behind him), but they are hard to come by for sure.
You cant stop trying - Cavan & Tipp footballers didn't anyway and they are provincial champions this year. We cant settle for the status quo even if many would like to see it preserved.
We have to strive for improvement and to better ourselves at all levels.

I agree. We have to strive to be the best we can be and be positive. We also need to be realistic.

The Galway U20 game was a complete mismatch. 3 all ireland minor teams on board and massive resources - Galway will expect a senior all-Ireland winning team from that team. We scraped past Carlow and had 3 poor / indifferent minor teams making up our U20 side. Last years minor team beat (a very good) Kildare. If we ever want to be competitive in the future the formula is fairly simple in theory but difficult in practice. We need far more competitive hurling areas in Laois, especially Portlaoise and strong development programs at club and county level to provide player pathways to adult hurling. That is what JPs money did in Limerick and what the Gaelfest program is doing in Antrim. Population and especially hurling population is against us so our approach needs to be more effective than other counties to produce 2-3 good enough hurlers per year.

finbar o tool

Mike and Jason are doing the best they can with the resources they have. Anybody else see an email today from Mike Henchy looking for coaches/mentors for the development squads? It mentions they asked over 80 people to get involved last year with very little positive responses. Everyone loves coming on here for a whinge but very few want to get involved and help out. 
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

clonadmad

Cabbages 2 Eddie Brennan 0

A result just in from tonight's convention

No motions

No question to the top table

Move on,nothing to see here

clonadmad

Quote from: finbar o tool on December 14, 2020, 08:28:49 PM
Mike and Jason are doing the best they can with the resources they have. Anybody else see an email today from Mike Henchy looking for coaches/mentors for the development squads? It mentions they asked over 80 people to get involved last year with very little positive responses. Everyone loves coming on here for a whinge but very few want to get involved and help out.

Both Mike and Jason are doing their best and hopefully in time they will get their rewards

Not one bit surprised at that figure

Other counties there would be killings for lads to get on board and mentor development squads

Not here

Just  another example of apathy

Blow-in

Quote from: clonadmad on December 14, 2020, 08:33:58 PM
Cabbages 2 Eddie Brennan 0

A result just in from tonight's convention

No motions

No question to the top table

Move on,nothing to see here

Clubs of Laois had their chance. Clubs are as bad as anyone.

High Fielder

Quote from: clonadmad on December 14, 2020, 08:36:48 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on December 14, 2020, 08:28:49 PM

Both Mike and Jason are doing their best and hopefully in time they will get their rewards

Not one bit surprised at that figure

Other counties there would be killings for lads to get on board and mentor development squads

Not here

Just  another example of apathy

People tend to latch on to something credible and worthwhile. If there's no plan at CB level, what's the point in any of us behaving like lemmings and following them over the cliff? Do they not see that? Get a GDA into Portlaoise and let's start the process properly. Get 2 if you can. 1 for Hurling and 1 for Football. f**k this volunteer/mercenary bullshit. Start developing the thing properly. You're awfully fond of those CB positions, so maybe it's time ye put serious plans in place. Then who knows. We might come out and back you. As it is, you have turned people off, or can you not see that either?

Chrimtain

The call has gone out. Now is the time for all of the armchair critics on this forum, like myself, to get involved at underage level and make a real contribution in hurling, football or both, otherwise, time to shut to f**k up.

High Fielder

Good luck with that Chrimtain. Serious counties are investing in trained personnel, and you and the CB think a few water bottle carriers are going to bridge the gap. It's going to take a lot more than that....

For what it's worth, I'd imagine most of us on here are active members in their clubs. There's a difference here between volunteering and adding expertise. A trawl of the personnel involved in most serious counties would let whoever wrote that letter know that he was wasting ink

Giovanni

In fairness, I don't see any downside of this.

There is certainly some expertise in the county and there are talented people that might be able to contribute to the Academy in various ways (in coaching and otherwise). Ultimately, they don't have to accept offers to help if they don't think those offers have merit but I'd rather see the circle being widened in this way rather than just waiting for something to happen or throwing up their hands and saying "sure what can we do".

High Fielder

As ever in Laois, cart before horse. We need to get our structures to an acceptable level. In a town with 20,000 people, we have no focus whatsoever. We are losing kids left right and centre to other sports and playstations. Be sensible here lads. People will volunteer when there's something worth contributing to. At the minute, it's a rabble, and telling people to thrown their shoulder at the wheel when it's clearly stuck in the mud is a flawed plan

Giovanni

I wouldn't see it like that. This is a person who is trying to mobilise resources to help him to do his job (which is the development of the Academy). As far as I know, it's not his job to recruit GDAs in Portlaoise or set up a supporters' club or do any of the many other things that certainly should be done. He's trying to do his own job as well as he can and I think he should be encouraged and applauded for taking some initiative. If everyone else did the same thing, we wouldn't be too badly off.