Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2023, 01:11:17 AM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2023, 12:41:33 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 27, 2023, 07:11:56 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on January 27, 2023, 05:47:54 PM
The cops are also black which will probably quell any disquiet

Probably loads of deleted tweets when their colour was known

So you're saying people are ok with police brutality and murder if the cops are black??

Maybe the response might be relatively muted because the city government acted correctly in the aftermath, and did so before the video footage was released?

As in we don't have the usual old case of cops getting off scot free or with a slap on the wrist and next thing the video comes out showing a completely different scenario to that sold by the PD?

Incorrect. This latest incident occurred 3 weeks ago. Cops were suspended a week ago, as due process takes time.

In cases where officers are white the pitch forks and fires happen literally next day.

Right, that's been the pattern all right. ::)
You're saying this didn't happen 3 weeks ago?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 28, 2023, 12:46:14 AM
This is true.  White police officers are the most unfairly persecuted  group in the US.  They have literally no-one looking out for them.
Didn't realise there was a white police office group, thought everyone was under the colour blue. 

J70

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2023, 01:15:56 AM

So you're saying people are ok with police brutality and murder if the cops are black??

Maybe the response might be relatively muted because the city government acted correctly in the aftermath, and did so before the video footage was released?

As in we don't have the usual old case of cops getting off scot free or with a slap on the wrist and next thing the video comes out showing a completely different scenario to that sold by the PD?

Incorrect. This latest incident occurred 3 weeks ago. Cops were suspended a week ago, as due process takes time.

In cases where officers are white the pitch forks and fires happen literally next day.

I'm saying in the vast majority of cases where white cops killed unarmed black men, it was covered up or ignored and the shit hit that fan when the video came out to contradict the official findings or inaction.

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2023, 02:01:07 AM

I'm saying in the vast majority of cases where white cops killed unarmed black men, it was covered up or ignored and the shit hit that fan when the video came out to contradict the official findings or inaction.
Okaayyyy!

This happened Jan 7. Had the 5 police officers been white there is no way the cops would have 2 weeks media blackout for official action.

Make of that what you wish.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2023, 01:19:38 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 28, 2023, 12:46:14 AM
This is true.  White police officers are the most unfairly persecuted  group in the US.  They have literally no-one looking out for them.
Didn't realise there was a white police office group, thought everyone was under the colour blue.

I now have no idea at all about what your initial point was.  Let's go again; what did you mean by this:

whitey

There needs to be a serious reform of policing

Why any police officer, black or white, thinks it's okay to assault people like what happened is beyond me?

Granted...some of them are operating in war zones with heavily armed criminals, but that's where body cams come into their own

gawa316

How did they not realize they would obviously get caught? You have a body cam recording!

J70

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2023, 02:34:45 AM

Okaayyyy!

This happened Jan 7. Had the 5 police officers been white there is no way the cops would have 2 weeks media blackout for official action.

I get that the racial aspect could provoke a more heated public and media response, but that is usually allied to the historical and often contemporary habit of cops getting away with this shit, aided and abetted by their colleagues and the local politicians.

I think you'd have a stronger and more equivalent case to make if this had been swept under the carpet and then the contradictory video came out to a muted response.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people ARE happy enough with police brutality once race (on the surface at least) is removed from the equation.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 28, 2023, 10:04:13 AM

Why any police officer, black or white, thinks it's okay to assault people like what happened is beyond me?

Granted...some of them are operating in war zones with heavily armed criminals, but that's where body cams come into their own

As I've said here before, I do not envy the cops in what is a very difficult job, but surely someone among the five of them should have had the guts to call foul on what they were doing?

They weren't in a gun fight. The guy was a lanky weakling that one or two of them alone could probably have subdued. There was no way they were going to get away with this.

Or maybe the culture in their department is you DO get away with this?

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2023, 03:46:56 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2023, 02:34:45 AM

Okaayyyy!

I get that the racial aspect could provoke a more heated public and media response, but that is usually allied to the historical and often contemporary habit of cops getting away with this shit, aided and abetted by their colleagues and the local politicians.

I think you'd have a stronger and more equivalent case to make if this had been swept under the carpet and then the contradictory video came out to a muted response.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people ARE happy enough with police brutality once race (on the surface at least) is removed from the equation.
I see what you're saying. And you're definitely not wrong, no one is happy with police brutality of any kind but I guess every case can't be headline news. The Tony Timpa killing was as disgusting as anything we've seen from US but it looks to have been swept under the carpet.

It's unfortunate but white cop on black civilian gets more traction for obvious historic reasons. But the media frenzy can be OTT and very damaging.

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2023, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 28, 2023, 10:04:13 AM

As I've said here before, I do not envy the cops in what is a very difficult job, but surely someone among the five of them should have had the guts to call foul on what they were doing?

They weren't in a gun fight. The guy was a lanky weakling that one or two of them alone could probably have subdued. There was no way they were going to get away with this.

Or maybe the culture in their department is you DO get away with this?
Yeah it's really messed up. Some of the cops I've met in US are sound but some you get that military vibe off, that they're just desperate to go full GI Joe at the slightest opportunity. Same going through immigration, they can be very military like and ready for the big bust. Most other countries immigration officials can barley keep awake.

Wildweasel74

I think the police depts at all levels need serious training, this shit is not a reoccurrence in other developed countries, maybe Russia aside.

Milltown Row2

Maybe, maybe if there was less guns on the streets you'd see a different approach? Crazy idea but hey
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

You never talk am American out of a gun, they like 70 million Enoch Burkes, police way to gung ho, over the simplest thing. That's down to bad training plus the fact they think they get away with it.

J70

And then their unions throw a fit if anyone even suggests accountability.

With all the guns and the criminality, when a split second decision has to be made, unarmed people are going to get killed. There's no way around that and I have a lot of sympathy for cops in those situations.

This shit in Memphis, or with George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, the guy last year who sat on the victims back and shot him in the back of the head etc etc, there's no f**king excuse and all such police should be in prison. Unfortunately for the families of the victims and society in general, many of them are not.