Concussion

Started by seafoid, February 08, 2016, 04:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Cillian O'Connor (and Donie Vaughan) suffered heavy concussions on Sunday last in Healy Park. Everyone has chosen to ignore the distressed state both were in and how they were not forced to go off the field earlier. Also the Gaa totally ignored dealing with the dangerous play involved in giving them their concussions.

AZOffaly

Rory O'Carroll in that All Ireland was disgraceful too. Chap hadn't a clue where he was.

magpie seanie

Didn't Cillian O'Connor get a concussion courtesy of AOS in an AI semi I think a couple of years back? From following the NFL the trend seems to be that recovery times get longer with each occurrence.

Windmill abu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2017, 03:32:13 PM
Cillian O'Connor (and Donie Vaughan) suffered heavy concussions on Sunday last in Healy Park. Everyone has chosen to ignore the distressed state both were in and how they were not forced to go off the field earlier. Also the Gaa totally ignored dealing with the dangerous play involved in giving them their concussions.

The decision to ignore the distressed state they were in lies at the feet of the Mayo medical staff, no one else outside of the Mayo management could voluntarily remove them from the game.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Gmac

The way rugby has gone with the huge players and strength of them u will probably see a lot of players with brain damage in 15/20 years , think of a player like Cj stander how many times in a game does he put his head down and charge into 2/3 players with the impact probably equal to a car crash .
The cumulative damage of this must be severe on the brain .

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gmac on April 01, 2017, 04:42:30 AM
The way rugby has gone with the huge players and strength of them u will probably see a lot of players with brain damage in 15/20 years , think of a player like Cj stander how many times in a game does he put his head down and charge into 2/3 players with the impact probably equal to a car crash .
The cumulative damage of this must be severe on the brain .

I read Stephen Ferris' book a while back and he referred to this. He reckons 10 years at professional level in rugby will prove to be a long career. From the tracking devices they wear they can monitor the G forces of collisions and they are equivalent to a couple of car crashes a game. Thing is though if you're in a car crash it's usually just one impact and you don't go out nest week and get into multiple car crashes again!

Franko

O'Driscoll talks in his book about a tackle he shipped in 2013 (I think?) from Scott Williams.  It was clocked by the GPS monitor in his jersey at 27g.  That's almost twice the acceleration of a fighter jet's ejector seat!

seafoid

Every so often GAA throws up a concussion but rugby is a sport of collisions. How are the IRFU etc going to pay for the inevitable lawsuits to come?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

David McKeown

I'm currently suffering a concussion after a bad car accident last week. Absolutely horrible. Anything to reduce it for sportsmen should be looked at.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Sorry to hear that David. It's a bollix. I've had several myself, and what I noticed was I got the last one a lot easier than the first.

brokencrossbar1

Had 1 really bad one. Playing in a game and i fell asleep On the bus home. Next thing i remember is waking up in the hospital. Don't remember the game or anything apart from falling asleep. Kept in the hospital overnight. Scary stuff

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on March 26, 2018, 09:27:47 PM
I'm currently suffering a concussion after a bad car accident last week. Absolutely horrible. Anything to reduce it for sportsmen should be looked at.

Hope you have a good lawyer looking after you, if you're stuck there are a few on here that could give you some good advice  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 26, 2018, 11:55:50 PM
Had 1 really bad one. Playing in a game and i fell asleep On the bus home. Next thing i remember is waking up in the hospital. Don't remember the game or anything apart from falling asleep. Kept in the hospital overnight. Scary stuff

As you sure you woke up, we could all be just a creation of your nightmares?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2018, 09:17:07 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 26, 2018, 09:27:47 PM

Hope you have a good lawyer looking after you, if you're stuck there are a few on here that could give you some good advice  ;)

Is there any point it won't matter if Syf ends up as the judge.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner