Thinking of moving kids to a new school...

Started by tbrick18, August 03, 2015, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

We are seriously considering moving our kids to a new school, for a variety of reasons.
In September they will be P6, p4 and P3.
We can see that they are not getting the education they need and the school isn't adhering to the ethos to which it is supposed to be subscribed.
You might wonder how I know this...well Mrs. tbrick18 teaches in the school. So we can see it from a Parent's perspective and the perspective of a teacher (biased as that may be).

Its a difficult decision both practically and with regards to the effects it will have on the kids, but unfortunately we feel it would be the best thing for their education.

Has anyone any experience of moving kids to a new school who might be able to highlight some of the problems/advantages of moving them that we might not have thought about? The kids are blissfully happy in the school I might add, with the exception of one class which they will all have to go through.

brokencrossbar1

We're moving kids as well at the minute,  same age as yours, P4 and P6.  We've moved kids before from north to south and back again so have a wee bit of experience!!!  Kids are very adaptable and will generally fit in well if they are anyway adjusted.  The one thing I would be wary of is thinking that the grass is greener on the other side.  So long as they are able to get involved in the class and able to make friends they will be fine.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 03, 2015, 12:15:22 PM
We are seriously considering moving our kids to a new school......

...Mrs. tbrick18 teaches in the school.

The kids' education of course comes first, but it must really be bad given the above!

That is one hell of a statement being made!!    :o

quit yo jibbajabba

was thinking the same tbh. definitely a big balls move, so fair play to you, you must feel strongly about it.
wifey will be popular in the staff room!

DennistheMenace

Big statement alright and would this possibly not lead to tension between your wife and current staff & management (albeit your kids education is priority) Weigh up the pros and cons but I would have thought the kids having their mother working at the school as a big pro to keeping them there.

tbrick18

Yeah its a difficult one with Mrs Tbrick18 in there alright. The only saving grace is that she is the only member of staff in the school who has her kids there.
It is already well known within the school where problem lie, but there seems to be a lack of resolve when it comes to sorting it out. Mainly because it would mean teachers being scrutinized.

It's tough to explain without going into specific details about the school which wouldn't be fair I think, but part of our reasoning is that as a teacher she can see what the shortcomings are and despite attempts to help rectify the problems by her, the school is content to drift despite standardized test scores getting worse each year.
Also as parents, we have had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of lapses of child protection within the school which have put my children's safety at risk.

Really there is no one single reason, but rather lots of small things. Generally speaking anyone who wants their kids to go to a grammar school have to send them to tutors in the evenings, whereas the school we are considering moving them to has a much higher percentage of kids getting into grammar schools. We believe this is down to better prepared kids.
We dont necessarily want to push our kids to grammar, but neither do we want them to be denied the opportunity should they want to.

We are not the first family to move the kids either.

Our main worry is what it might do to the confidence of the kids and will the move adversely affect how they do academically more than it would if we left them where they are.

Orior

This is quite intriguing. Possible reasons for a school underperformance are what? How can this happen with all the checks and balances and departmental reviews?

Are the board of governors aware that there is a problem?
Or maybe they ignore the problem?
Or a poor incompetent principal?
Or a scheming mad principal?
Or is family tbrick the issue (you don't like the school cause they focus on soccer or hurling or rugby etc

Too many questions, and none of my business, but we're a curious breed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tbrick18

Quote from: Orior on August 03, 2015, 03:41:38 PM
This is quite intriguing. Possible reasons for a school underperformance are what? How can this happen with all the checks and balances and departmental reviews?

Are the board of governors aware that there is a problem?
Or maybe they ignore the problem?
Or a poor incompetent principal?
Or a scheming mad principal?
Or is family tbrick the issue (you don't like the school cause they focus on soccer or hurling or rugby etc

Too many questions, and none of my business, but we're a curious breed.

Curious....another word for nosey!  ;)
I'm not going to comment on principal/bog etc as my wife works there and god forbid I was to say something in the public domain which may get out somehow and cause her problems at work.
Family tbrick issue....quite possible and I often wonder that myself. However, other families have similar issues and dont have a family member working in the school so I think its more than that.
One of my main issues alongside the education part is that the school is an integrated school.....which is becoming less and less integrated both from religious and social points of view. My opinion, the opinion of other families, and the opinion of at least one other teacher in the school from a different background than Mrs. Tbrick18 supports this.

Tony Baloney

Is it not supposed to be the case that no primary schools are supposed to be preparing children for transfer tests, which I presume you are alluding to when talking about going to a grammar school?

tbrick18

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 03, 2015, 04:47:23 PM
Is it not supposed to be the case that no primary schools are supposed to be preparing children for transfer tests, which I presume you are alluding to when talking about going to a grammar school?

As far as I know, no schools to prepare kids for transfer. However, most provide a level of education that enable them to go that way should they want to.
It's not the driving factor I'm getting at.....school kids do these standardised tests from P3 on, year on year over the past few years the average scores have been dropping and kids are generally getting worse scores year after year. IMO, they should be improving, but thats not the case.

tbrick18

Anyway, we're going off topic a bit....my query to the GAABOARD is more around the effect moving schools can have on children.
Would anyone completely discourage it?

The Iceman

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 03, 2015, 04:57:43 PM
Anyway, we're going off topic a bit....my query to the GAABOARD is more around the effect moving schools can have on children.
Would anyone completely discourage it?
Move them surely. Kids can roll with the punches. I know families who have moved towns and countries multiple times and the kids are all grand. In fact I'd say they are better for it. If you're worried about disrupting their lives or negatively impacting them  - I wouldn't worry at all.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Thousands have done it. I would say the earlier the better. My eldest is the only fella from his p7 class going to the main local grammar school. He yapped about it a bit at the start but he has mates from the rugby club and is happy enough to go now. The fact that all the others are going to the school my missus teaches at is another story. It has got back to her that a mother of another child in p7 was saying "who does she think she is" etc. etc.  ;D

ONeill

school is an integrated school.....which is becoming less and less integrated both from religious and social points of view.

In terms of intake or actively promoting one set of beliefs above another?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

CD

Youngsters are unbelievably robust and settle extremely quickly. By the end of the first week they'll feel like they were always there. It'll take far more out of you two!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!