Dog Advice

Started by tbrick18, May 01, 2013, 09:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Thinking about getting a dog for the kids....well they have me tortured and I'm on the verge of giving in.
I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to train a pup so wondering what kind of dog to get that is low maintenance, can be kept outside in a kennel overnight and most importantly is good with kids.
I like labradors myself, but I think they're probably quite high maintenance in that it will need long walks etc.
I'm thinking probably a small dog of some sort that gets enough exercise in the garden.

Any recommendations?

Hound

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2013, 09:22:33 AM
Thinking about getting a dog for the kids....well they have me tortured and I'm on the verge of giving in.
I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to train a pup so wondering what kind of dog to get that is low maintenance, can be kept outside in a kennel overnight and most importantly is good with kids.
I like labradors myself, but I think they're probably quite high maintenance in that it will need long walks etc.
I'm thinking probably a small dog of some sort that gets enough exercise in the garden.

Any recommendations?
If you can't bring the dog on a daily walk then I'd recommend waiting until the kids are big enough, and commit to, bringing the dog on a walk themselves. Every dog needs walking, bigger dogs need more walking. Also someone needs to commit to cleaning up the "dirt" from the garden every day.

There's a huge range of little dogs you can get that are fine with kids. Take note on how often they should have their coat brushed, and again that's a job someone has to take on. If you are getting a little dog and leaving it outside all the time, obviously make sure it has adequate shelter and strongly consider getting two of them, so one alone doesn't have a miserable experience. Obviously two means a bit more work and more cost.

southdown

Labrador.  Lovely temperment, can be kept outdoors and low maintenance.  Lovely dog and no fear of it turning nasty with young kids.  I had one for 16 years and she was actually very protective of my younger sisters.

Labradors do need exercize.  I you have a decent sized garden you will be fine.

Orior

Quote from: southdown on May 01, 2013, 10:19:52 AM
Labrador.  Lovely temperment, can be kept outdoors and low maintenance.  Lovely dog and no fear of it turning nasty with young kids.  I had one for 16 years and she was actually very protective of my younger sisters.

Okay, so in the first six months it chewed the legs of the furniture but hey - we love her. We started by keeping it outside during the day, but it cried and now we keep her in, but hey, we love her. And it casts an awful lot but hey, we love her. And it takes over the couch, but hey, we love her. And it wants to go everywhere with us, but hey, we love her. And being a bitch, it burned and ruined my lawn, but hey, we love her.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to train a pup so wondering what kind of dog to get that is low maintenance, can be kept outside in a kennel overnight and most importantly is good with kids

Is it a dog or a new wife you're after?

5 Sams

Quote from: Orior on May 01, 2013, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: southdown on May 01, 2013, 10:19:52 AM

Okay, so in the first six months it chewed the legs of the furniture but hey - we love her. We started by keeping it outside during the day, but it cried and now we keep her in, but hey, we love her. And it casts an awful lot but hey, we love her. And it takes over the couch, but hey, we love her. And it wants to go everywhere with us, but hey, we love her. And being a bitch, it burned and ruined my lawn, but hey, we love her.

Agree with everything Orior says. When a lab is a pup keep everything 4 feet of the ground cause they'll munch everything. Doors, table legs, etc will be destroyed. I disagree with South Down however. It won't be grand if you leave it in a big back garden. The hoors need good long runs or walks  daily.
The Aristocrat Years

tbrick18

Quote from: T Fearon on May 01, 2013, 12:04:51 PM
I wouldn't have the time or knowledge to train a pup so wondering what kind of dog to get that is low maintenance, can be kept outside in a kennel overnight and most importantly is good with kids

Well I'll consider anything.... :)

Orior

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2013, 12:21:38 PM

One will give 100% unconditional love... and the other.... hmmm tough choice.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Jeepers Creepers

Remember, Gun dogs/hounds/sporting dogs (labs,setters,springers, collies etc) will need at least one hour 'off lead' high tempo excercise a day otherwise they will literally go round the bend.
Small dogs (Wesites, yorkies etc) dont need alot of excercise with smaller legs ie throw a ball up and down the drive for a half hour is suffice but they mightened adapt to sleeping outside.
My bet is to get a gold fish! Only joking. 'If' you do proceed I would recomend a mongrel / cross bred not mixed with high energy breeds as a pup from a local kennell or rehoming centre.
Think long and hard.......

BennyCake

Get them a tamogachi and see how they on with that first. If they let it die, they ain't getting no dog!!

rosnarun

if you have a big back yard get a few cats and rabbits too . that'll take care of excercize problem.
nothing they like like chasing small animals
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

tbrick18

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 01, 2013, 12:59:38 PM
Remember, Gun dogs/hounds/sporting dogs (labs,setters,springers, collies etc) will need at least one hour 'off lead' high tempo excercise a day otherwise they will literally go round the bend.
Small dogs (Wesites, yorkies etc) dont need alot of excercise with smaller legs ie throw a ball up and down the drive for a half hour is suffice but they mightened adapt to sleeping outside.
My bet is to get a gold fish! Only joking. 'If' you do proceed I would recomend a mongrel / cross bred not mixed with high energy breeds as a pup from a local kennell or rehoming centre.
Think long and hard.......

When you say "mightened adapt to sleeping outide", do you mean even in a shed?
Purely from a practical point of view for things like transportation I was thinking of some of the smaller breeds. Though I have always liked the labradors and boxer type dogs.
But I think if we get one it'll have to be a small dog, but only if we can keep it outside. We have a good sized garden and it wouldnt be left exposed to the elements, but I get the feeling these small dogs (like westies/shitzue's/lhasa apso) need to be kept in the house.

Quote from: rosnarun on May 01, 2013, 01:35:04 PM
if you have a big back yard get a few cats and rabbits too . that'll take care of excercize problem.
nothing they like like chasing small animals

We've been down the rabbit road before....twice....and it ended badly both times! So definitely not getting another one of them.
Oh and I hate cats....plus one of our cubs seems to be allergic to them. He has exczema and our childminder recently got a cat, ever since then his skin has been flaring up. He seems to be grand with dogs though, my auld fella had one and it never seemed to affect him.

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on May 01, 2013, 12:56:29 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2013, 12:21:38 PM

One will give 100% unconditional love... and the other.... hmmm tough choice.
Thing is, a dog is for life but a wife is disposable. Choose your dog with the utmost care.

brokencrossbar1

I have had a dog(or 3 at one stage) since I was 5.  We currently have a Jack Russell and a Border Collie cross breed of some description(pup of the FILs Sheepdog)  The Jack is fine but the Collie needs a lot of excercise.   It wouldn't be as high maintenance though as a Lab would and is very intelligent and obedient and great with kids.  We have had the Jack 13 years now and he is brilliant with the kids.  Low maintenance, though he loves the house but doesn't shed.  He is also a very clever dog.  I can walk both dogs lead-less and it is completely no issue.

Main Street

If you have a good sized garden, you can train the collie to do laps.
Usually they are self motivated to do a few sentry rounds, then you just have to keep them doing the rounds.
Much easier than training the wife.