Stephen Cluxton

Started by Tommo2, September 18, 2011, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2021, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 05, 2021, 11:28:00 PM
Cluxton is a strange man and its no surprise we are in a strange situation.

He is either in or he is out. Short term, long term, doesn't matter. If he wants a year off, best of luck to him, he deserves it. Put he needs to piss or get off the pot.

As long as Dessie Farrell and his team mates know the real story it doesn't matter two shiny shites what we and journalists know or don't know about his situation.

He's an amateur player giving up his time for free. Should he not want to do that anymore it's his business and his business alone.

+1 Dessie Farrell has no obligation to say anything to the media. I'm sure the players and management are well aware of his intentions and it would typical of his personality to try and quietly bow out rather than having to deal with all the hassle from the press demanding interviews if he is retiring

Tubberman

Quote from: dublin7 on July 06, 2021, 01:18:14 PM

He is either in or he is out. Short term, long term, doesn't matter. If he wants a year off, best of luck to him, he deserves it. Put he needs to piss or get off the pot.

As long as Dessie Farrell and his team mates know the real story it doesn't matter two shiny shites what we and journalists know or don't know about his situation.

He's an amateur player giving up his time for free. Should he not want to do that anymore it's his business and his business alone.

+1 Dessie Farrell has no obligation to say anything to the media. I'm sure the players and management are well aware of his intentions and it would typical of his personality to try and quietly bow out rather than having to deal with all the hassle from the press demanding interviews if he is retiring

Except he's doing the opposite. He's creating an "is he/isn't he" circus around it. He doesn't have to release a statement or do interviews.
He just needs to tell Dessie Farrel "I'm finished" or "I'll be at next training session". Stop the messin.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armagh18

Quote from: Tubberman on July 06, 2021, 01:39:49 PM

Except he's doing the opposite. He's creating an "is he/isn't he" circus around it. He doesn't have to release a statement or do interviews.
He just needs to tell Dessie Farrel "I'm finished" or "I'll be at next training session". Stop the messin.
But how do we know he hasn't?

Tubberman

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2021, 01:55:39 PM

If he did, why would Farrell say he doesn't know whether his captain will be playing for hsi team or not?
It just makes him look weak and not in control.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

lfdown2

Quote from: Tubberman on July 06, 2021, 02:09:18 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2021, 01:55:39 PM

If he did, why would Farrell say he doesn't know whether his captain will be playing for hsi team or not?
It just makes him look weak and not in control.

To whom? Anyone outside the 'group' is completely irrelevant, if it is those within the squad then it is a problem but I would be surprised if that is the case.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 06, 2021, 12:41:29 PM
You wonder what Jim Gavin would have done.

Farrell clearly knows whatever is going on.

Jim would have asked for more money of course

Captain Obvious

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dabh

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 08, 2021, 01:40:41 AM

in all fairness -   a Dublin division 3 north game has got to be more appealing than a Leinster Championship game
Perhaps he wants to play outfield for Dublin and Dessie will not let him..

Lar Naparka

IMO, we have seen the last of Stephen Cluxton in a Dublin jersey. There's no way he'd leave Dublin in the dark about his intentions - the pressure on Evan Comerford would be tremendous and there would be an unsettling effect on the entire squad. Instead there is an insane amount  of speculation about his future plans.
That suits Dublin very well as it takes the media focus off Comerford and lets the panel get on with their preparations with a minimum of  distraction.
Dessie Farrell may well be telling the truth when he said Stephen hasn't said (out loud) that he was  retiring but it was an ambiguous statement. He may have said that he might consider returning but he gave no information one way or the other. He will probably never declare publicly that he has retired but he certainly won't say he intends to come back again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

BennyCake

If Farrell knows he has retired, it's disrespectful to Cluxton if he's telling the media otherwise. Cluxton being a very private person, I'd imagine he's not enjoying all the focus

caprea

Quote from: BennyCake on July 08, 2021, 06:13:42 PM
If Farrell knows he has retired, it's disrespectful to Cluxton if he's telling the media otherwise. Cluxton being a very private person, I'd imagine he's not enjoying all the focus

It's cluxton's desire to retire this way

MayoBuck

If Cluxton has retired, surely Farrell would prefer to say it now and draw a line under it. The way it's left, Farrell is going to keep getting asked the question after every Dublin match.

caprea

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 08, 2021, 06:41:19 PM

If Cluxton has retired, surely Farrell would prefer to say it now and draw a line under it. The way it's left, Farrell is going to keep getting asked the question after every Dublin match.

You'd imagine he would prefer it. Cluxton prefers it this way. He's the one retiring

From the Bunker

Glen Whelan never retired from playing for Ireland.

Cluxton is doing the same!