Championship - Lie of the Land - How do you see things now?

Started by Barney, July 11, 2009, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2009, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 08:57:43 AM
Quote from: Barney on July 11, 2009, 08:53:50 PM
Another chunk of teams gone for the year. Things are taking shape and possible to look ahead.

Sligo, Kerry, Derry, Wicklow, Donegal, Meath, Ros/Wexford and Down/Laois all go into the hat to be drawn against each other.

Winners will play the losers of the provincial finals, and subsequent winners go on to play the provincial champions.

Munster/Ulster and Connacht/Leinster is the split this year in the draw.

So what you think? Who will take Sam?

-----------------------------------------------------

My view is that there is nothing of quality coming through the Qualifiers bar Derry if they stay focused, and possibly Kerry but I don't think they are going to get their act together this year. That being said they should stick around until Round 4 at the last unless they were to draw Derry away.

My view is that Galway, Limerick, Antrim and Kildare will be in the hat in Round 4.

Meath, Derry, Kerry, and I have a hunch that Ros will get the luck of the draw. Beat Wexford and then maybe Sligo or Wicklow at home in the next round.
'
My last 8 - Mayo, Dublin, Tyrone, Cork, Galway, Derry, Limerick and Kerry.

Dublin and Cork to be the last two standing in September.

Sam to the Capital.

You talk some rubbish ::).

Or maybe because he said that Sligo would be beaten perhaps?? What's your contribution anyway Sligonian?? I'm not writing Kerry off just yet, but they were shocking yesterday in the second half. Kildare can beat Dublin today and I think that will happen. The loser of Mayo/Galway will be finished as they only have a week to recover, so it's win or bust I reckon. Tyrone SHOULD beat Antrim, I don't know what to make of Cork base on last week's performance either but are in the last eight. I think the last 4 will be, Mayo (provided we win against Galway), Tyrone, Kerry could sneak in as well and Dublin/Kildare.

My Contribution to this is change the record. Whats the basis for his hunch? ::). Its pretty hilarious to be honest some of the stuff ye come out with. Im just taking it one game at time and looking at our opponents, definitly not thinking of September yet ;).

For what it's worth on all known form I think Sligo would beat Ros this year if they met.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

I think Dublin will be in with a shout but I suspect they dont have the midfield or defence to live with Tyrone or Kerry. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

At this stage, its hard to see past Cork as eventual winners, they look the complete package

INDIANA

Quote from: Pangurban on July 12, 2009, 07:38:34 PM
At this stage, its hard to see past Cork as eventual winners, they look the complete package

The complete package- you must be joking.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: muppet on July 12, 2009, 05:22:12 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2009, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 08:57:43 AM
Quote from: Barney on July 11, 2009, 08:53:50 PM
Another chunk of teams gone for the year. Things are taking shape and possible to look ahead.

Sligo, Kerry, Derry, Wicklow, Donegal, Meath, Ros/Wexford and Down/Laois all go into the hat to be drawn against each other.

Winners will play the losers of the provincial finals, and subsequent winners go on to play the provincial champions.

Munster/Ulster and Connacht/Leinster is the split this year in the draw.

So what you think? Who will take Sam?

-----------------------------------------------------

My view is that there is nothing of quality coming through the Qualifiers bar Derry if they stay focused, and possibly Kerry but I don't think they are going to get their act together this year. That being said they should stick around until Round 4 at the last unless they were to draw Derry away.

My view is that Galway, Limerick, Antrim and Kildare will be in the hat in Round 4.

Meath, Derry, Kerry, and I have a hunch that Ros will get the luck of the draw. Beat Wexford and then maybe Sligo or Wicklow at home in the next round.
'
My last 8 - Mayo, Dublin, Tyrone, Cork, Galway, Derry, Limerick and Kerry.

Dublin and Cork to be the last two standing in September.

Sam to the Capital.

You talk some rubbish ::).

Or maybe because he said that Sligo would be beaten perhaps?? What's your contribution anyway Sligonian?? I'm not writing Kerry off just yet, but they were shocking yesterday in the second half. Kildare can beat Dublin today and I think that will happen. The loser of Mayo/Galway will be finished as they only have a week to recover, so it's win or bust I reckon. Tyrone SHOULD beat Antrim, I don't know what to make of Cork base on last week's performance either but are in the last eight. I think the last 4 will be, Mayo (provided we win against Galway), Tyrone, Kerry could sneak in as well and Dublin/Kildare.

My Contribution to this is change the record. Whats the basis for his hunch? ::). Its pretty hilarious to be honest some of the stuff ye come out with. Im just taking it one game at time and looking at our opponents, definitly not thinking of September yet ;).

For what it's worth on all known form I think Sligo would beat Ros this year if they met.

Correct, Were are well ahead of Roscommon this yr, no doubt in my mind ands our results back that up, pity we got such a tough draw tonight. Anyway lets see what we are made of.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

tbrick18

At the moment I see it as Tyrone hot favorites with Kerry probably not far behind if they make it back to Croke park.
After those two....I dont see any real difference between Dublin, Cork, Derry, Galway, Mayo...and after that probably Kildare and Limerick.
If Kerry get knocked out before the semis it's Tyrones for the taking. If not....I think it would be a toss of the coin between the two.

JMohan

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 12, 2009, 07:50:45 PM
At the moment I see it as Tyrone hot favorites with Kerry probably not far behind if they make it back to Croke park.
After those two....I dont see any real difference between Dublin, Cork, Derry, Galway, Mayo...and after that probably Kildare and Limerick.
If Kerry get knocked out before the semis it's Tyrones for the taking. If not....I think it would be a toss of the coin between the two.

While Kerry can never be counted out - can you put them that high up that on current form?

I think Dublin are close to Cork, then Kildare but I don't think the Connacht teams are in with a realistic shout this year

magpie seanie

Quote from: JMohan on July 12, 2009, 08:00:36 PM

While Kerry can never be counted out - can you put them that high up that on current form?

I think Dublin are close to Cork, then Kildare but I don't think the Connacht teams are in with a realistic shout this year

I honestly think Mayo will be a match for most this year. Some fellas whose opinions I'D rate think Galway, despite their performance against us, will be good too but I find that hard to areee with. Dublin showed a bit of bottle today that I haven't seen from them in a while.

tbrick18

The way I look at it the only team even at the minute who I would say are likely to beat Kerry are Tyrone. So thats why I would have them #2.

Maigheo Abu

If I can be so bold as to predict the next draw ( and this evening's draw was predictable!)
Kerry/Sligo Vs Tyrone/Antrim
Donegal/Derry Vs Galway/Mayo
Meath/Ros/Wexford Vs Limerick
Wicklow/Down Vs Kildare

Call in Paddy Power
Kerry
Derry
Meath
Kildare

With another open draw for the QF

Apologies to the tribesmen it's a toss of a coin. Apologies also to Sligo and Ross but tough draws dictate predictions. Please prove me wrong

Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 12, 2009, 10:00:02 PM

The way I look at it the only team even at the minute who I would say are likely to beat Kerry are Tyrone. So thats why I would have them #2.

It'd be hard to make Kerry strong favourites against Cork surely.

I think the Connacht finalists and Dublin are at a similar enough level - plenty of potential but need to do a bit more to become credible challengers.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

INDIANA

Nothing we haven't seen before at this stage. Our championship starts now. Kildare were very good defensively until the last 10mins. Then they completely lost concentration especially in relation to BB. Why they didn't double team him was beyond me.
We'll see what we're made of now but Tyrone stilll in front for me.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2009, 01:19:39 AM
Nothing we haven't seen before at this stage. Our championship starts now. Kildare were very good defensively until the last 10mins. Then they completely lost concentration especially in relation to BB. Why they didn't double team him was beyond me.
We'll see what we're made of now but Tyrone stilll in front for me.

The only thing worse than having your team written off by the GaaBoard pundits, is having them made favourites.

Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Cork all joint-favourites in my view.
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

I was at the Dubs game yesterday and still think they're some distance behind.

Lot of silly errors and bad defending which will be punished by much better teams.
Still maybe they'll improve in the weeks to come

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 13, 2009, 01:03:54 PM
I was at the Dubs game yesterday and still think they're some distance behind.

Lot of silly errors and bad defending which will be punished by much better teams.
Still maybe they'll improve in the weeks to come

Who are these much better teams though? I wouldn't say Cork or Kerry are better than Dublin at the moment. they are at a very similar level for me. Mayo and Galway aren't far off either.Tyrone are still ahead for me.  But I think any of the others could beat each other on any given day.