Bradley quits Derry county panel

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 06, 2009, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 08, 2009, 06:30:56 PM
Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 08, 2009, 10:37:10 AM
Maguire01, he still managed 1-03 out of youse the last day.
3-19 in four championship games v monaghan :o
1-10 of that was in one game in 2005 (when admittedly he pretty much destroyed us).
2-09 (26 points) over 3 games is a more realistic statistic, relating as it does to the past 3 years. It's a decent score, if nothing exceptional for a full forward.
Tommy scored 15 points in the same games.

I wonder how much he'll score this weekend.....oh wait....    :D  :D  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 08, 2009, 07:52:30 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 08, 2009, 06:30:56 PM
Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 08, 2009, 10:37:10 AM
Maguire01, he still managed 1-03 out of youse the last day.
3-19 in four championship games v monaghan :o
1-10 of that was in one game in 2005 (when admittedly he pretty much destroyed us).
2-09 (15 points) over 3 games is a more realistic statistic, relating as it does to the past 3 years. It's a decent score, if nothing exceptional for a full forward.
Tommy scored 15 points in the same games.

I wonder how much he'll score this weekend.....oh wait....    :D  :D  ;)
To be honest, i'd prefer those scores to be spread across 3 or 4 different players. Better having a number of reliable forwards, rather than over reliance on one - Monaghan and Derry both have this problem to an extent.

tbrick18

I wont disagree with you there MAguire.....however I'm hoping with the emergence of Eoin Bradley, Seamus Bradley and to a lesser extent James Kielt (...give him a few years) we might finally get that kind of balance.

Sonny Joe

Quote from: Armamike on July 08, 2009, 07:22:36 PM
I haven't read the 10 pages of posts on this, but if Bradley threatened to walk because he was being asked by his manager to play a different role in the team, that's not on. If your manager is asking you to do this, you do it, no questions. Doesn't say much for his attitude. 

you should read the derry thread, what happened is nothing to do with your post.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 08, 2009, 04:59:30 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 10:33:55 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 08, 2009, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 07, 2009, 05:07:12 PM
Quote from: full back on July 07, 2009, 04:55:58 PM
Well then

"If the umpires/linesmen keep their eyes open I dont think Monaghan will be able to handle him"
Well then...

We'll have to disagree!
As an example, there was no talk of foul play when he was kept out of the game in 2007 (with the exception of a jammy goal). My point is that it's very possible to nullify the threat of Bradley by legitimate means. It's not easy and not all teams can/will do it, but it's very possible.
I'd love to think you are joking, but know that you are not !

do you think that it is only Derry people that believe monaghan are a team that are dirty/play with aid of dirty tricks etc/persisten off the ball fouls etc
I think you will find that theres more than Derry folk,and its not just from this season - if you recall the talk before the monaghan v Derry first round ulster championship game a few weeks ago, many (inc myself) were predicting such a game as monaghan bring that to most games they play.
Hardly a dirty stroke in the tyrone v armagh game , or tyrone v Derry game yet Derry and Armagh's matches against monaghan both resembled junior c derby grudge matches....

same old question I asked ages before - do you actually watch football...

And did you actually read my post?

All I was saying was that it is possible to keep Bradley ineffective by legitimate means - such as the way in which Tyrone managed a few weeks ago and Monaghan managed in the 2007 game at Casement. Cut off supply and he's largely out of the game.
I was merely responding to your point that legitimate means were used in 2007 !
"As an example, there was no talk of foul play when he was kept out of the game in 2007 "

so yes I did read your post , so that was my reply !

legitimate means , not easy but not impossible
Okay, so what were the issues in 2007? I don't remember any of the sensationalism we've had this time.

Reading a BBC report, there appears to have been a 'card-happy ref', but nothing much to it:
QuoteLeitrim referee Frank Flynn handed out 16 yellow cards but while it was a surprise that no player was sent off, it was not a particularly bad-tempered contest.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6235252.stm
(Unless you were referring to McCloy's off the ball incident with Freeman, mentioned in that report)
correct I dont remember any of the sensationalism because I watch the actual games and am not told what I saw by the media.
Monaghan played in much the same manner then as they do now. I dont disagree with all that they do but its yellow card offenses if caught.
I am pointing out the continuity and consistency of the monaghan gameplan.
You obviously rely on the media to inform you as to what is happening andhow the game is played, as I said before I dont think you pay too much attention to football.
so again, Paddy bradley can be stopped but monaghan will do so by non-legitimate means, the same way they went out to stop/pull/drag/hit Stevie mcdonnell last weekend.
If the ref/media dont see the off the ball incidents (and I am sure some Derry defenders are possibly guilty of this too) - does this mean its a clean fair game ad there was no dirt/fouling !
You just either dont get it or have no clue about how football is played.

Maguire01

tyronebhoy

16 yellow cards.  I wonder were they all deserved.  Had that game been played under (2009) National League rules it would have been very interesting.  Though I think the ref would have kept his card in his pocket a lot more if this was the case.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 09, 2009, 10:21:03 AM
Well then

"If the umpires/linesmen keep their eyes open I dont think Monaghan will be able to handle him"
Well then...

We'll have to disagree!
As an example, there was no talk of foul play when he was kept out of the game in 2007 (with the exception of a jammy goal). My point is that it's very possible to nullify the threat of Bradley by legitimate means. It's not easy and not all teams can/will do it, but it's very possible.

do you think that it is only Derry people that believe monaghan are a team that are dirty/play with aid of dirty tricks etc/persisten off the ball fouls etc
I think you will find that theres more than Derry folk,and its not just from this season - if you recall the talk before the monaghan v Derry first round ulster championship game a few weeks ago, many (inc myself) were predicting such a game as monaghan bring that to most games they play.
Hardly a dirty stroke in the tyrone v armagh game , or tyrone v Derry game yet Derry and Armagh's matches against monaghan both resembled junior c derby grudge matches....

All I was saying was that it is possible to keep Bradley ineffective by legitimate means - such as the way in which Tyrone managed a few weeks ago and Monaghan managed in the 2007 game at Casement. Cut off supply and he's largely out of the game.
"As an example, there was no talk of foul play when he was kept out of the game in 2007 "

Okay, so what were the issues in 2007? I don't remember any of the sensationalism we've had this time.

Reading a BBC report, there appears to have been a 'card-happy ref', but nothing much to it:
QuoteLeitrim referee Frank Flynn handed out 16 yellow cards but while it was a surprise that no player was sent off, it was not a particularly bad-tempered contest.
(Unless you were referring to McCloy's off the ball incident with Freeman, mentioned in that report)
correct I dont remember any of the sensationalism because I watch the actual games and am not told what I saw by the media.
Monaghan played in much the same manner then as they do now. I dont disagree with all that they do but its yellow card offenses if caught.
You obviously rely on the media to inform you as to what is happening andhow the game is played, as I said before I dont think you pay too much attention to football.
so again, Paddy bradley can be stopped but monaghan will do so by non-legitimate means, the same way they went out to stop/pull/drag/hit Stevie mcdonnell last weekend.
If the ref/media dont see the off the ball incidents (and I am sure some Derry defenders are possibly guilty of this too) - does this mean its a clean fair game ad there was no dirt/fouling !

What's the weather like up there in your Ivory Tower Lynch(very young)bhoy?

Try employing a small degree of respect will you, if that's possible.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 09, 2009, 11:42:17 AM
Well then

Well then...

We'll have to disagree!

if a degree of reality is not brought into the responses then this is what you will get.
Its not an ivory tower, its the real world.
If you throw out quotes from cuckooland (there was no dirt because I dont remember any media furore about it) then you wont get respect back !

Maguire01

The quote was from the BBC, not "cuckooland". I'm not relying on the media reports - I was at the match in 2007. But generally if there's even the whiff of a dirty match, the media pick up on it.

If I had made my comment on the basis of my own experience of the match in 2007, you would have dismissed that no doubt - if I try and back it up with an independent source, you dismiss that too.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2009, 01:15:33 PM
The quote was from the BBC, not "cuckooland". I'm not relying on the media reports - I was at the match in 2007. But generally if there's even the whiff of a dirty match, the media pick up on it.

If I had made my comment on the basis of my own experience of the match in 2007, you would have dismissed that no doubt - if I try and back it up with an independent source, you dismiss that too.
in your own words
"Reading a BBC report, there appears to have been a 'card-happy ref', but nothing much to it:"

smoke without fire perhaps
if it had been the other wayaround and Derry played the type of 'game' that monaghan do - then I am sure you might remember more about it.

either you just dot see it or you dont want to see it. Normally that means a person isnt honest with themselves or just dont have a clue as I said. I dont care which,  you decide !

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 09, 2009, 12:43:58 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 09, 2009, 11:42:17 AM
Well then

Well then...

We'll have to disagree!

if a degree of reality is not brought into the responses then this is what you will get.
Its not an ivory tower, its the real world.
If you throw out quotes from cuckooland (there was no dirt because I dont remember any media furore about it) then you wont get respect back !

Yawn! I've a pain in my face listening to you..

Derry bullied Tyrone off the park in 05 I think it was. There was probably about 4 mins of football played in the whole game. Celtic park on the 24th May 2009 was CBeebies compared to it! Get over it man.

bellaghy_lad

GrandMasterFlash & lynchbhoy, you should meet up before the game and fight. name a time and a place and we can bring the popcorn.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bellaghy_lad on July 09, 2009, 02:25:26 PM
GrandMasterFlash & lynchbhoy, you should meet up before the game and fight. name a time and a place and we can bring the popcorn.

there will already be at leat 30 men fighting at Clones on Sat, we dont need another 2 !!
PS My money's on Lynch, always back your own.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bellaghy_lad

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 09, 2009, 02:32:59 PM
Quote from: bellaghy_lad on July 09, 2009, 02:25:26 PM

there will already be at leat 30 men fighting at Clones on Sat, we dont need another 2 !!
PS My money's on Lynch, always back your own.

the ulster council have made this a non contact game. it will be more like a ballet. im backing lynch too!