Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

First of all I would like to congratulate the managers and players of Derry for the performance that was produced today. We were awesome at times!

I havent posted much on issues regarding the county team recently as I had become disillusioned with the whole setup. As a supporter I felt that we have been the laughing stock of the country in recent weeks and to be honest the thought of going to Clones and spending 50 odd Euro on Derry well it didn't feel like I would get value for money! I think the performance produced today was what the supporters deserved and the skill and determination of our lads was excellent!

The game itself well it was clear to see if ever there was any doubt that a team like Monaghan cannot live with Derry in football terms. The scoreline flattered Monaghan somewhat and without being able to revert to their negative game they had nothing to offer really.

As regards to individuals I thought Dermot McBride was hard done by but Hanratty was unmarkable in that first half. Our FB line struggled all game but we were on top in every other sector of the pitch. Mark Lynch played his best game in a Senior jersey for me he was immense. Kielt and the 2 Bradleys were also great. Ably assisted by the MF and HB lines. Looking forward to the draw. As long as we don't get Kerry I would be confident enough we could beat any of the others. Onwards and upwards great stuff lads keep it up!!!!

peterquaife

Well done Derry, thoroughly enjoyed the match, and well done also to monaghan. Skinner was on fire. Lynch too had maybe his best game in the senior jersey. McGuickian was missed. Derry shipped 20 points, but Monaghan had their shooting boots on, ony 2 wides in the 1st half I think.

Doire abu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqwD7GyszE

Main Street

Very good performance from Derry,
shooting by both teams was spot on and top standard.
2 excellent Derry goals topped up a comprehensive win.
Time put a bit of diesel into the Derry championship bandwagon

north down

Quote from: red hander on July 11, 2009, 06:18:30 PM
Quote from: north down on July 11, 2009, 06:03:06 PM
Well done Derry a very good performance going forward - the Derry supporters will be happy with the win but the players and management will not be happy with the amount of scores which they conceded against a Monaghan team minus its talisman forward.

Surely you mean 'the Derry supporter'

No I think there two - the other one was behind the camera and so you couldn't see him!

DUBSFORSAM1

screenexile - Do you not feel the 90 mins Monaghan played last weekend had something to do with the performance today??

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: cornerback on July 11, 2009, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2009, 07:01:13 PM
Excellent result for Derry...I predicted during the week that if Derry had their heads right they would win comfortably and thankfully that was the case.  I think today showed that when it comes down to football, Monaghan just cant compete with Derry. Monaghan didnt resort to their usual rough house tactics and it resulted in an open game which was very enjoyable....I'm glad I went now!

Yes Derry have a bit to work on...particularly after conceding 20 points but there were a lot more positives after this game than the Tyrone one. I think tactically we got it 100% right and we seemed to be playing as a team rather than a collection of individual.

If that was Paddy Bradley playing injured today...I think we should keep him injured all year!
I thought Eoin Bradley, Kielt (yes I usually dont like Kielt), Lynch, Diver, Doc, Patsy, Gerard O'Kane were all excellent, but no-one was particularly bad. In the form Hanratty was in it was only going to be damage limitation....thought he was Monaghans best player. Ronaghan also very good.

When is the draw for the next round?

Unfortunately Kevin won't be back for the next qualifier game - 4 week ban so i think it runs out at 12 midnight on saturday night

i think the bit in bold above is the truest statement of the board this year. When it comes to 15 v 15 and no crap, Derry will beat Monaghan 9 times out of ten
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 11, 2009, 09:23:07 PM
screenexile - Do you not feel the 90 mins Monaghan played last weekend had something to do with the performance today??

i will answer this cause screenexile will be pissed by this stage. f**k all to do with it. Wouldnt matter how many mins the played last week, 0 or 90.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

cornerback

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 11, 2009, 11:48:27 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 11, 2009, 09:23:07 PM

i will answer this cause screenexile will be pissed by this stage. f**k all to do with it. Wouldnt matter how many mins the played last week, 0 or 90.

Totally agree - screenexile is totally pissed that this stage - 3 coors light and he's on his back

Seriously though, people were saying before the game that monaghan having a victory under their belt would be a benefit now after their defeat its because they had tired legs - can't have it both ways.  I know (think) none of the monaghan boys have used this excuse...

Maguire01

Well Derry were the better team on the day and Paddy Bradley did the damage - Mone was on terrible form and probably had his worst game for Monaghan. From a Monaghan point of view, it was a decent showing, although the end result was poor enough.

The old adage that 'goals win matches' was definitely true today - Monaghan with one more score than Derry, but over the crossbar rather than under. Can't help but feel that Freeman could have made the difference there - he wouldn't have missed had he been involved in that chance on goal in the first half.

I have to say, i'm delighted that Hanratty had such a great game - probably his best game for Monaghan since 2007 and answered his critics.

A comment or two on some of the other posts:
Quote from: screenexile on July 11, 2009, 07:39:35 PM
The game itself well it was clear to see if ever there was any doubt that a team like Monaghan cannot live with Derry in football terms. The scoreline flattered Monaghan somewhat and without being able to revert to their negative game they had nothing to offer really.

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2009, 07:01:13 PM
I think today showed that when it comes down to football, Monaghan just cant compete with Derry.
Surely these are both very arrogant comments? Derry were the better team, no doubt, but I wouldn't say they're in a different league. Derry won by 5 points and as i've said above, Derry scored 19 times, Monaghan scored 20 - the goals were the difference. Monaghan were without Freeman, and despite our forwards having a good day at the office, Tommy was sorely missed - let's not forget that Bradley, Derry's star forward, scored 2-08, over half of Derry's score - take that one player out of the equation and it's a different scenario - Tommy is Monaghan's star forward.
To say Monaghan have "nothing to offer" is extremely ignorant - whilst Monaghan lost today, they still stuck over 20 points, most of them from play. It was a good result for Derry, but don't get carried away.

screenmachine

Monaghan tagged on four to five points when the game was dead and buried.  Sure any time you's got close we just put the foot down again.  Oh and by the way...

Get it round ye, ya mexican feckers!!!! :D
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Mike Sheehy

Quotei think the bit in bold above is the truest statement of the board this year. When it comes to 15 v 15 and no crap, Derry will beat Monaghan 9 times out of ten

I think its a shame that Ulster people seem to be congenitally incapable of being gracious victors, even among themeselves.  Should we all not be celebrating that the two teams actually played football this time ?

KingLarsson

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 12, 2009, 04:35:58 AM
Quotei think the bit in bold above is the truest statement of the board this year. When it comes to 15 v 15 and no crap, Derry will beat Monaghan 9 times out of ten

I think its a shame that Ulster people seem to be congenitally incapable of being gracious victors, even among themeselves.  Should we all not be celebrating that the two teams actually played football this time ?

back down to ur sheep ye inbred, scapin by longford..............as for our monaghan brethern......see ye nxt year

Mike Sheehy

Quoteback down to ur sheep ye inbred, scapin by longford..............as for our monaghan brethern......see ye nxt year

ach, I couldnt be bothered

screenexile

In answer to the question posed earlier about the 90 mins... Nah! the way teams are prepared/rehabbed these days a week is ample time to recover.

We were at least 10 pts better than the Farney men 2day and in all honesty we've played them maybe 6 times since 2005 and we tanked them in 2005 when Monaghan went toe to toe with us and we did it again 2day.

With a full team available we are top4 in the country IMO... Long may it continue!!!!

Mike Sheehy

If you are consistently that much better than Monaghan then you must be favourites for the All-Ireland.

gerry

good win for derry today but the team that concedes 20 points are hardly a team that will be in croker in sept unless they tighten up the back line
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,