TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: tyroneboi on January 05, 2010, 06:17:19 PM
Quote from: Homer on January 05, 2010, 02:50:31 PM
Quote from: Bensars on January 05, 2010, 02:40:38 PM
Rapidshare is the only way to go.
i have a friend who downloaded the first 3 series of the sopranos in one night last week.  ;)

Agreed, if you're serious about downloading get yourself a Rapidshare account and never look back.

How much does Rapidshare cost anyway? How does it work etc etc?

Two options.
1. free user but it restricts the amount and timescale you can download

2 Premium. Unlimited download ( 25GB every 5 days) . Costs around £5 month but its not a contract. I pay for a month every 3 or 4 months and download whatever films/ series/music/applications you want.

The major difference between it and Torrents etc is the speed. Let it download overnight and then in the morning you will see a list of green links ( downloaded successfully). Average movie 700gb can be downloaded from between 30mins and an hour. As i said in an earlier post 3 series of Sopranos overnight.

Well worth a fiver. ( all of the above is obviously based on information from a thrid party of course !)

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 06, 2010, 09:27:41 AM
Yep, watched it successfully last night on Samsung DVD player after burning to CD (not DVD).

If you like the Wallander BBC version you might also appreciate the original Swedish series, shown recently on BBC4.
Imo the Swedish series, Swedish actors playing Swedish characters (with e.g. the natural aspirated subtleties of characterisation/humour/black humour/depression) was so much better.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on January 06, 2010, 12:07:04 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 06, 2010, 09:27:41 AM
Yep, watched it successfully last night on Samsung DVD player after burning to CD (not DVD).

If you like the Wallander BBC version you might also appreciate the original Swedish series, shown recently on BBC4.
Imo the Swedish series, Swedish actors playing Swedish characters (with e.g. the natural aspirated subtleties of characterisation/humour/black humour/depression) was so much better.

Thanks Main St.  In fairness to Branagh he's made a good fist of it to-date.  I must look up the Swedish versions - but I'd guess neither are a patch on the books.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shazam

Finished Rome there last night, its a good show alright. Heard rumours of a film?

Next I shall be watching Arrested Development, the woman got me the box set for Christmas, and then I think I will get Deadwood and maybe Entourage.
Shazam Bang

Archie Mitchell

Santino

Quote from: screenexile on January 05, 2010, 02:13:12 PM
Quote from: Santino on January 04, 2010, 10:37:00 PM
Just finished season 4 of Dexter which finished few wks ago in the states.
Best season since the first, with one of the most compelling characters i recall in any tv series in a long time in the Trinity killer

I'm definitely having that Santino... John Lithgow puts in as good a TV acting performance as I've ever witnessed he was simply amazing! For me it was the best series of Dexter so far and the best ending to a series I have ever seen.

I have to also say I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the Sci Fi guff being produced in America these days. . . Heroes, Lost and Flashforwad seem to be big flash interesting shows then the story disintegrates into a million different pieces leaving you baffled and confused rather than entertained! I watched Heroes religiously and started flashforward but have given them both up at this stage!

Really hope Lithgow gets recognised with an award or more prominent roles in future. only remember him from stupid roles in Third Rock from Sun and Harry and the Hendersons. His portrayal of this complex character is my fav since Frank Sobotka in The Wire Season 2.
Roll on Season 5!

Shazam

Whats Dexter about, in one sentence please?

Anyone else on here like the show Medium with your girl Arquette? I would watch it late night on BBC1 when it was on, was thinking about acquiring some of it.
Shazam Bang

Dougal

Quote from: Shazam on January 06, 2010, 08:56:30 PM
Whats Dexter about, in one sentence please?

Anyone else on here like the show Medium with your girl Arquette? I would watch it late night on BBC1 when it was on, was thinking about acquiring some of it.

i havent really seen much of it,but basically i think its about a serial killer(by night) who solves murders(by day).i liked what i saw of it but it was always on at 12 or 1 at night so didn get to watch it that often.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

screenexile

The series follows the day to day events of Dexter Morgan's life, a forensic blood splatter analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department, who also happens to be a serial killer in his free time. He was taught by his adoptive father, Harry, only to kill those "who deserve it"; mainly, other killers who have escaped the traditional legal system or were never suspected in the first place. It shows him balancing an everyday life with his secret identity all while keeping up a facade of normalcy.

Billys Boots

You forget to mention that it's also very tongue-in-cheek, and takes the almighty mickey out of CSI-type shows.

Shazam

Sounds good. I will put it in the queue after Deadwood. Started watching Arrested Development last night, the first two episodes, very funny. Teen Wolf 2 fella is very funny, as is the magician Gob.
Shazam Bang

Billys Boots

imtommygunn

Dexter is about a forensic scientist who is in effect a serial killer of serial killers. Figures out who they are by day and kills them at night. His dad knew he was bad so he taught him to only be bad to bad people.

ross4life

has anyone seen Great British Railway Journeys which is on 630 each evening on bbc 2

the Documentary series in which Michael Portillo travels the length and breadth of the country by train (using the Bradshaw guidebook)

This is an excellent series and I found it by chance and cant wait for each one to appear. Michaels style of presentation is very relaxing and somehow gives out just the right amount of information whilst allowing us to see breathtaking views and a fascinating incite into the British railways

only a few shows left but are sure to be repeated
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fluffy Che

Nurse Jackie, currently getting fcuked around all over the place on BBC 2 is worth a gander. Stars Edie Falco ( T. Soprano's other half ) nice shade of black humour and great acting.
Midnight to Six..