TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: lenny on May 04, 2021, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 04, 2021, 06:25:17 PM
Breaking Bad is top of the pile, probably wouldn't have The Wire in my top 5.

Total opposite. The Wire I would definitely have at number 1. Breaking bad has to be the most overrated show of all time. The first 2 series were okay but after that it was terrible. There wasn't even one likeable character, hence there was never any tension.

I've always said that Mike and Gus saved Breaking Bad, and I reckon it peaked in S4 when they were most prominent. All of the original leads were vile or annoying, or vile and annoying. The early series baddies were just too much psychopath, not enough sociopath. I think the show runners understood this too, hence Gus and Mike are so firmly nailed into the BCS patchwork. Lalo in BCS probably trumps them all though. He's a revolting character but the actor steals every scene he's in

S2 of the Wire is the glue that holds it all together. Like most people I didn't overly enjoy it first time around, but it's my go-to series now. Ziggy doesn't even annoy me anymore on a rewatch. I've half a notion that he was put into the show to distract everyone from the litany of new characters and allow their stories to gently develop without audience scorecards influencing the writers to change up. Or maybe I'm such a fanboy that I find new ways to praise the people behind the Wire every time I watch lol.

Milltown Row2

Queen of the South is a really good show on Netflix
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on May 04, 2021, 08:32:26 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 04, 2021, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 04, 2021, 06:25:17 PM
Breaking Bad is top of the pile, probably wouldn't have The Wire in my top 5.

Total opposite. The Wire I would definitely have at number 1. Breaking bad has to be the most overrated show of all time. The first 2 series were okay but after that it was terrible. There wasn't even one likeable character, hence there was never any tension.

I've always said that Mike and Gus saved Breaking Bad, and I reckon it peaked in S4 when they were most prominent. All of the original leads were vile or annoying, or vile and annoying. The early series baddies were just too much psychopath, not enough sociopath. I think the show runners understood this too, hence Gus and Mike are so firmly nailed into the BCS patchwork. Lalo in BCS probably trumps them all though. He's a revolting character but the actor steals every scene he's in

S2 of the Wire is the glue that holds it all together. Like most people I didn't overly enjoy it first time around, but it's my go-to series now. Ziggy doesn't even annoy me anymore on a rewatch. I've half a notion that he was put into the show to distract everyone from the litany of new characters and allow their stories to gently develop without audience scorecards influencing the writers to change up. Or maybe I'm such a fanboy that I find new ways to praise the people behind the Wire every time I watch lol.

I really struggled through Breaking Bad. Took me months. Nearly gave up a few times. The last series was really good though. I really enjoyed it.

I think the reason I struggled was because there was nobody to root for, as you alluded to.  The Mike dude was a brilliant character though.

JoG2

Some LoD spoiling going on in here!

Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire and the Sopranos.....great shows. Ozark mentioned earlier, read somewhere there is a final season split into 2 halves.

4 Blocks / Goliath, very good shows on Prime.

Has any show went downhill as fast as The Walking Dead?

lurganblue

Sopranos just tops The Wire for me but it's close.  Sometimes you only realise how good a show is when it's over and you feel like you are missing an arm.

nrico2006

Quote from: JoG2 on May 05, 2021, 08:19:45 AM

Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire and the Sopranos.....great shows. Ozark mentioned earlier, read somewhere there is a final season split into 2 halves.

I would add GOT to the above list too. 

Walking Dead has been pretty crap for a long time though, same old story recycled over and over.  Find a new place to live, encounter a baddie, suffer, fight back and win then repeat.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

They seem to have given up on the baddies now too. I watched the latest episode the other night - garbage. It's just the history of people who have been on it for years.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JoG2 on May 05, 2021, 08:19:45 AM

LOST....although well documented they never thought it would explode like it did and kinda had to drag it out I suppose.

Really good from about 1-3, after that the time travel and all that madness.

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on May 03, 2021, 03:53:37 PM
Why are people hating on the LOD finale? I think people build these shows up in their own heads too much and are always destined for disappointment. Same with Game of Thrones. I for one enjoyed it.
I don't know about GOT as I stopped watching it after they killed Sean Bean, that was akin to subbing Messi after 15 minutes, but the LOD finale was perfectly executed, it could not have been bettered. In saying that, I was not not  invested in that overhyped Brit police drama but more curious to see how they would wrap it up.
There is no one bad apple evil dude behind it all.

Main Street

At present I'm well into Mare of Easttown,  a cross between a darker side of Fargo and the US version of The Killing. Kate Winslett on her own is the price of admission.

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2021, 12:54:24 AM
At present I'm well into Mare of Easttown,  a cross between a darker side of Fargo and the US version of The Killing. Kate Winslett on her own is the price of admission.

It's grim but totally agree with you it's got an interesting story and the acting is first class. Jean Smart as the Grandmother is brilliant as well definitely worth watching!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2021, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2021, 12:54:24 AM

It's grim but totally agree with you it's got an interesting story and the acting is first class. Jean Smart as the Grandmother is brilliant as well definitely worth watching!

+1 to both

An Watcher

Blinded-Those who kill on Bbc4, very good so far
Enjoying Mare of East town too. Would love to binge watch but good in a way that it is only drip fed

Onthe40

watched Road last night on BBC1 about the Dunlops... had missed it when on before.. jez that family has undergone some tragedy...forgot that Roberts son was killed a few years Aho as well... crazy sport..

An Watcher

Sad but after an accident or tragedy they say, its in the blood!! Very hard to sympathise in such a mad sport were you are taking your life in your hands