TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on January 16, 2013, 03:47:47 PM
On the recommendation of those here, myself and herself have started watching Breaking Bad.

Awesome show.
Posted a few pages back but still worth a laugh......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I

Main Street

BB is good for 3 seasons, the original premise flies through absurdity after absurdity. It flattens out on the 4th, barely saved by a wtf ending. In the 5th season there is nothing substantial left, except a mess of family drama soap which was always the weakest component in BB.

ziggy90

Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2013, 02:21:24 PM
Quote from: nifan on January 15, 2013, 09:34:08 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 14, 2013, 10:54:12 PM
The 1st part of the superb adaptation of the Spies of Warsaw is being repeated tonight on BBC4  11.45pm.
It's a 2 part spy drama, with the 2nd part out on Wednesday evening.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/tmd5h/spies-of-warsaw--episode-1

Meant to catch it, but saw a few underwhelming reviews and it slipped my mind.
Well, maybe 'superb adaptation' is over egging it, but definitely in the upper echelons of the usual BBC/ITV produced fare. They could have stretched it into 3 or 4 x 90 min. It's different and I can see where it wouldn't appeal to everybodys' taste but having had a read of some of the reviews, I'm left somewhat bemused by some of the gripes.
I don't mind the minimalism or the deliberate stereotyping, eg the nazi agents. Tennant has the centre,  much of it all falls on him to carry it off and the tension is there, just understated.

Thanks for the tip, I watched the first part last night and was very impressed. It took a while to get into it and I think a reason for that is that the makers have tried their best to catch the atmosphere and morality of the period (succeeded for me), and times have changed so much since then that it takes quite an effort to get used to the slower pace and simpler lifestyle of the thirties. I like having a simple straightforward heroes and villains story, and the Nazis are the best (easiest) villains of the lot. Looking forward to tonight's conclusion.

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ziggy90

Stirring tale of derring-do, thoroughly enjoyable. Must get hold of the book now.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

thewobbler

Quote from: Main Street on January 16, 2013, 07:07:46 PM
BB is good for 3 seasons, the original premise flies through absurdity after absurdity. It flattens out on the 4th, barely saved by a wtf ending. In the 5th season there is nothing substantial left, except a mess of family drama soap which was always the weakest component in BB.
This is probably the first negative review I've ever read of series 4 - which for my money is  maybe the greatest season of anything, ever. I'd agree that S5 is a bit flatter, but it has to be - they created so many loose ends in S4, that they had to spend a few episodes tying it all back together. Still, the episode with the train was worth watching S5 for by itself.

Each to their own I suppose.

Rois

Anyone see Kevin Bacon's The Following on tonight? Wasn't entirely enjoying it at the start (I'm a fan of Criminal Minds where the serial killers are caught within the hour) but I'll def tune in next wk. Pretty intriguing.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2013, 11:32:07 PM
Anyone see Kevin Bacon's The Following on tonight? Wasn't entirely enjoying it at the start (I'm a fan of Criminal Minds where the serial killers are caught within the hour) but I'll def tune in next wk. Pretty intriguing.

Have it Sky +'ed - I'll let it build up before attacking it....

I've just finished The Borgias Season 2 over the weekend - absolutely top class! Great ending to it and Season 3 can't come quick enough
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Tony Baloney

Liked it but found it unnecessarily gory for tv. I don't mind a bit of gore but had a niggle that it was possibly going out of its way to be conrroversial.

There was a show called Revolution advertised during The Following. Anyone seen it?

the Deel Rover

Yes saw it last night Rois. I enjoyed it. I made sure all the doors were locked before heading to bed  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BennyHarp

Just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad and I must say it is one of the best I've seen. Definitely up there with  The Wire (and I don't say that lightly) in its development of character stories and intense plot line. The episode where Gus takes Jesse and Mike to Mexico to confront the cartel was just superb!
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2013, 08:27:47 AM
Liked it but found it unnecessarily gory for tv. I don't mind a bit of gore but had a niggle that it was possibly going out of its way to be conrroversial.

There was a show called Revolution advertised during The Following. Anyone seen it?

How are you supposed to not be very gory when a killer is echoing Edgar Allan Poe poetry? It was hardly gore for gore's sake, it enhanced the story that was being told.

Nothing beyond what you'd see in Dexter, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones or any number of US or UK shows. It's when a show about serial killers gets sketchy about gore that my alarm bells start ringing.

If you're signing up for the premise you're signing up for some brutal deaths.

On the show itself, I found it very enjoyable and well put together. It's obviously a far-fetched concept but it's one with room for plenty of fun. Having Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy as the leads really is what makes the show, both fine actors and in Purefoy's case hugely under-rated. He was great as Mark Anthony in the Rome HBO/BBC series.

As long as they keep the focus on those two this show can get at least season or two of good material out of the concept, which is more than you can say for most network shows.

laceer

Started watching Love/Hate last weekend. Gripping show. Only have 3 epsiodes left to watch. Couldn't believe the amount of sex, drugs and violence for a show made in Ireland. Was there much of a fuss made when it was shown at home?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laceer on January 25, 2013, 10:45:05 AM
Started watching Love/Hate last weekend. Gripping show. Only have 3 epsiodes left to watch. Couldn't believe the amount of sex, drugs and violence for a show made in Ireland. Was there much of a fuss made when it was shown at home?

I have only seen series 3 Laceer but thought it was brilliant . As regards a fuss about the sex drugs and violence there was none really with people saying that it's typical of what's going on in Ireland at the moment.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

fitzroyalty

What's this Suits like? Might give it a watch if someone can post a link for streaming?

laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 23, 2013, 02:28:51 PM

Yes saw it last night Rois. I enjoyed it. I made sure all the doors were locked before heading to bed  :D
Just watched the first episode. Thought it was very good and something I will keep watching.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.