TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Started to watch the show 'empire' about the british empire. Onto its 5th episode now, tis very informative. Paxman does not hold back and tells the true account of the empire.

ziggy90

Good news for the age 50+ posters and all you students of pre-historic (ok pre digital) times, BBC2 are showing are a new series about the most important decade of the last century, that much maligned (wrongly) but much loved (by those who grew up in them) the 70's. The 70's BBC2 9.00pm, followed by Sounds of the 70's 2.  8) Enjoy.   
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 16, 2012, 11:24:14 AM
Good news for the age 50+ posters and all you students of pre-historic (ok pre digital) times, BBC2 are showing are a new series about the most important decade of the last century, that much maligned (wrongly) but much loved (by those who grew up in them) the 70's. The 70's BBC2 9.00pm, followed by Sounds of the 70's 2.  8) Enjoy.

I grew up in the 70's, you didnt.

ziggy90

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 16, 2012, 11:37:12 AM
Ok, came to maturity ::).

Let me know when that happens ;) People that grew up in the 70s don't way lyrical about the show band era FFS

ziggy90

You're right, they WAX lyrical about it. Ffs.

Canalman

TG4 starting  1st season Breaking Bad this week.......... remainder of the serieses to follow I believe. Great show . UPC/Sky  plus it if you can.

Finished Season 5 Dexter there last week. Some very familiar faces in it from these islands. Watchable and enjoyable as always although the sheer unbelievability of it all now seriously beginning to grate.

5 Sams

Better late than never....I have just become addicted to the West Wing..wow!!
The Aristocrat Years

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 04, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I understand the first series of Borgen finishes tonight on BBC3 - to be followed next week by Bron (The Bridge) which is about a joint investigation by Danish and Swedish police in relation to a murder on 'the bridge' which spans between Denmark (Copenhagen) and Malmo.  I think it's the best thing I've seen in quite a while - no spoilers, but if you liked The Killing, Wallander and Borgen I'd imagine you'll enjoy it.

The Bridge starts Saturday night 9pm BBC4. Billy I've just finished watching Montalbano on BBC4, absolutely brilliant. Do you know if they made any more episodes than the 10 that were shown recently?

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 17, 2012, 06:03:48 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 04, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I understand the first series of Borgen finishes tonight on BBC3 - to be followed next week by Bron (The Bridge) which is about a joint investigation by Danish and Swedish police in relation to a murder on 'the bridge' which spans between Denmark (Copenhagen) and Malmo.  I think it's the best thing I've seen in quite a while - no spoilers, but if you liked The Killing, Wallander and Borgen I'd imagine you'll enjoy it.

The Bridge starts Saturday night 9pm BBC4. Billy I've just finished watching Montalbano on BBC4, absolutely brilliant. Do you know if they made any more episodes than the 10 that were shown recently?

Yes Ziggy, there are 22 episodes in total - this year Italian tv has started showing Young Montalbano (I think they've shown 4 so far; I have downloaded but not viewed to-date - I can tell you he has a full head of hair!).  Enjoy Bron - it's really outstanding! 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Quote from: Canalman on April 16, 2012, 11:53:59 AM
TG4 starting  1st season Breaking Bad this week.......... remainder of the serieses to follow I believe. Great show . UPC/Sky  plus it if you can.

Finished Season 5 Dexter there last week. Some very familiar faces in it from these islands. Watchable and enjoyable as always although the sheer unbelievability of it all now seriously beginning to grate.

Starts tonight...hope its as good as the hype
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

Breaking Bad is immense. Starts well, but gets better with each series too. So wonderfully dark. I'd put it above Sopranos, by a nose. But a bit behind the Wire.

Heartbroken

Massive boxset fan looking to move on to a new series. Ive just finished Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Any recommendations out there? The Walking Dead? The Killing? I've all the usuals like The Wire, Entourage, Sopranos done. Something brand new or even an all time classic is what I am after!

screenexile

Quote from: Heartbroken on April 19, 2012, 04:37:38 PM
Massive boxset fan looking to move on to a new series. Ive just finished Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Any recommendations out there? The Walking Dead? The Killing? I've all the usuals like The Wire, Entourage, Sopranos done. Something brand new or even an all time classic is what I am after!

West Wing, Dexter, Homeland. Come back when you've those done!

Bingo

Quote from: Heartbroken on April 19, 2012, 04:37:38 PM

Walking Dead - first series was very good. Second started good, went on a bit of a slow burner but last few were very good again. Season 3 should be good.