McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2024, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: ck on January 08, 2024, 10:09:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 08, 2024, 05:57:28 PM8 week ban for McGuinness

Did no-one think to check the rules before they played the boy? Very foolish move by people who should know batter.

It's the county secretary's job first and foremost

It's hard to believe it's accidental but it'll all be undone shortly with the appeal

Armagh18

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 08, 2024, 10:04:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2024, 09:23:34 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 08, 2024, 07:56:11 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on January 08, 2024, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 08, 2024, 06:44:26 PMGiven the fact that backroom teams are now stacked with personnel, I find it hard to believe that any team at intercounty level wouldn't know the rules. This sort of stuff is right up Jimmys street, I wouldn't be surprised if he is quietly happy about the suspension. He can play the victim, create a siege mentality and Donegal will benefit longer term.     

Siege mentality only works when you are perceived to have been punished unfairly. He clearly broke the rules.

😂😂😂

You'd need to tell that to every Tyrone team... ever!

Completely lost on him

Not lost however there has to be some feeling of mistreated for a siege to work. Not sure how donegal can feel mistreated in this case when it must have been known they were feilding an ineligible player.

It was either stupid or deliberate but its a clear rule breach. No big deal anyway as it will be over turned or significantly reduced. Gaa bans dont stick.
Its really not a big deal. Lad shouldn't even be ineligible he's 18 years of age ffs.

marty34

If eligible, should he be looking at 18 year olds anyway?

I'm sure there's 20 other 'seasoned' club players he could be looking at.

Would that not be more benefical to Donegal, or any county, for that matter?

StephenC

Biggest impact here to young Roarty. Imagine the excitement for him and his family as he lined out, then to find out that he cannot play at all in 2024. Serious questions to be asked of the Donegal setup for that reason alone.

"McGuinness' proposed ban pertains to all team activities – managing, directing, assisting, or communicating with the team in any way during the period of the time-based suspension. "

Armagh18

If you're good enough you're old enough. Thats how I'd always view it tbh.

screenexile

Not anymore the lads probably playing Senior and Minor for club U20s and Schools football... Clifford didn't play until he was 19 Murphy until he was
18, what's the rush in playing a lad so young??

Blowitupref

Will be surprised if that 8 week bans sticks and if it does can Jim still sit in the stand and have mic in his ear in contact with the side line?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

It common knowledge with this rule  after Derry had to pull Callun Brown out at the last minute a few yrs back as he wasn't the correct age.

the goal was on

The rules are there for everyone and I'm sure all top managers would be aware of them. They are there to protect youngsters in the long term. So Donegal/jim didnt know he wasn't available to play this year! I know he has been out of game for long time but surely minor/club/u21 bosses would have been able to tell him. If he was aware but still played him then you have to take the consequences. I'm sure there has been a few other youngsters teams may have liked to play over the years. Particularly the weaker counties . Simple question for journalists to ask Jim - were you aware of rule?

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: the goal was on on January 09, 2024, 08:57:41 AMThe rules are there for everyone and I'm sure all top managers would be aware of them. They are there to protect youngsters in the long term. So Donegal/jim didnt know he wasn't available to play this year! I know he has been out of game for long time but surely minor/club/u21 bosses would have been able to tell him. If he was aware but still played him then you have to take the consequences. I'm sure there has been a few other youngsters teams may have liked to play over the years. Particularly the weaker counties . Simple question for journalists to ask Jim - were you aware of rule?

Exactly.  Club bosses throughout the county (including the young lads own club, who i'm sure would love to have been playing him) would know the rules around playing underage players.  The question should be put directly to him alright, he isn't that slow. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Cavan19

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 09, 2024, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: the goal was on on January 09, 2024, 08:57:41 AMThe rules are there for everyone and I'm sure all top managers would be aware of them. They are there to protect youngsters in the long term. So Donegal/jim didnt know he wasn't available to play this year! I know he has been out of game for long time but surely minor/club/u21 bosses would have been able to tell him. If he was aware but still played him then you have to take the consequences. I'm sure there has been a few other youngsters teams may have liked to play over the years. Particularly the weaker counties . Simple question for journalists to ask Jim - were you aware of rule?

Exactly.  Club bosses throughout the county (including the young lads own club, who i'm sure would love to have been playing him) would know the rules around playing underage players.  The question should be put directly to him alright, he isn't that slow. 

It all falls on the County Secetary its up to them to be up to date on the rules and regulations.

thewobbler

Ever more proof that GAA people only want rules when it suits them.

Every single person in the Donegal changing room would have known Robert was ineligible, including the player himself. I can guarantee you that this was made clear by at least one administrator to the management.

But Jimmy thinks he's smarter and bigger than the game.

I should hope the ban sticks.

imtommygunn

I honestly would say it's all a game. Remember the Cassidy Bogue thing. Almost feels like that. Build a them against us mentality and we'll show them etc.

J70

Not just the young lad's club. Jim is a Naomh Conaill man too.

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on January 09, 2024, 11:13:56 AM

Not just the young lad's club. Jim is a Naomh Conaill man too.

Jimmy actually stated in a post match interview that the young lad had yet to train with his club senior team (Jimmys own club). So its simply not believable that they wouldn't have been aware of the fact that he was ineligible.