Mickey Moran & John Morrison New Leitrim Management

Started by 45GoneShort, August 25, 2008, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1995

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 26, 2008, 05:08:54 AM

The press release says Morrison has been at 5 teams?
Who were they? Armagh, Donegal, Derry, Mayo, ... and now Leitrim - that them?

Correct me if i am wrong but i think he had a spell with antrim...
Nice guys always finish second!

Hardy

What constitutes a good spell with Antrim?

(Seanie, I was awaiting your acerbic observation on this news  :D).

Uladh

Quote from: Hardy on August 26, 2008, 11:30:46 AM
What constitutes a good spell with Antrim?

Anything involving a boiling cauldron and kevin McGoarty being put in it

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Real1995 on August 26, 2008, 11:27:35 AM

After he parted company with Mayo, he was reported as have taken over the management of a club side in Antrim.
It was Cadrin or Cargen; I can't recall the name but it was something like the ones I've used.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

JMohan

People here have suggested things about his departure from Mayo - was it not mutually agreed?

Also, I've read so much stuff about Morrison it can't all be correct can it?
In demand from all these Rugby clubs in the UK? lol! When I read that kind of stuff I start to doubt ... Why is he still in GAA then?

Ask anyone though in clubs he has been brought into and his coaching of underage kids in schools is excellent
I read an artilce once that described them as the odd-couple and I think it was meant in a complimentary way - but it could be very good for Leitrim long term
All that said he sure brighten's up the post match interviews!!!

On_the_Couch

I don't know what they say in the privacy of the changing rooms, but I think they talk the greatest load of dung in public - Mickey Moran instills a dour "the world is all against us" attitude, and his teams play a slow, dour ,over-physical attritional game that is boring to watch and I dare say a pain to play against.  John Morrison talks a load of gobbledy gook and hocus pocus.  I think its a pity that they are back on the intercounty scene.

magpie seanie

QuoteSeanie, I was awaiting your acerbic observation on this news 

I'm nothing if not consistent! On this topic at least.

tbrick18

Good luck with this appointment....because Luck is the only thing that will win you anything with Mickey M at the helm. Dont rate him at all.

cornafean

Morrison managed Antrim in the 1995-96 season and probably the season afterwards. He did a pretty good job at the time, although Antrim were on their knees when he took over, having failed to win a single championship match since the early 1980s, a record that Morrison failed to correct. Martin McHugh's Cavan team had walloped Antrim in Breffni Park in the 1995 championship and Morrison was in charge of Antrim when they met again in 1996 in Casement Park. Cavan were going well at the time yet only beat Antrim by a point or two.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Over the Bar

QuoteGood luck with this appointment....because Luck is the only thing that will win you anything with Mickey M at the helm. Dont rate him at all.

His manner might not suit everyone but his record speaks for itself.  A great dual appointment for a small county like Leitrim. 

Rav67

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2008, 11:43:42 AM

After he parted company with Mayo, he was reported as have taken over the management of a club side in Antrim.
It was Cadrin or Cargen; I can't recall the name but it was something like the ones I've used.

Mickey has been with Creggan the past 2 years but I don't think Morrisson has been with him.  Not sure if Morrison has been with him at Jordanstown either, MM got to Sigerson finals the past 2 years winning 1, OK they have had a great squad of players no doubt but this is still a very good achievement.  They both talk a lot of dung on tv and Moran comes across a bit too emotional in the media which works to undermine him in terms of being perceived as a strong manager/leader, but they are undoubtedly great coaches and if they are willing to put a lot of time into underage structures in Leitrim, as the article states, this will be a very good appointment.

JMohan

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 26, 2008, 01:47:14 PM
QuoteGood luck with this appointment....because Luck is the only thing that will win you anything with Mickey M at the helm. Dont rate him at all.

His manner might not suit everyone but his record speaks for itself.  A great dual appointment for a small county like Leitrim. 

Which is ....?

One Connacht title?

screenexile

Connacht title, Heavily involved in Derry's All Ireland Success, Sigerson Cup.

I think Moran has been along with another fella in Creggan the last 2 years and him and Adrian McGuckin both manage Jordanstown to the best of my knowledge. I've seen him in action and anyone who doubts his coaching credentials should be knocked out because he's as good as I've seen in terms of innovation, relevance to the game etc.

THe failing I would see with himself and Morrison is that neither of them is a manager. I remember a story about McEneaney when the County Board asked him what he was going to do with regard to training the team and he said "I thought this interview was about managing the team? I'll not be training them!" Moran and Morrison have gotten their teams fit and playing good football but with regard to tactics, team selection, changes under pressure and dealing with the media, both have been found wanting in the past. They've both been at this game for a long time so I can't see them bringing anything new to the table in the management stakes this time around. I have a lot of time for Moran though and I wish him well in the new post!

SLIGONIAN

Fairly shocked at this coup by Leitrim. Did not think theyd get a manager of this calibre. Dont really care as long as they dont beat us.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Quotehis record speaks for itself

Never a truer word said.