UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

You'd think it's a good thing that the UK get access to the game on a free to air station with many more thousands watching it than would usually.

But nah people giving out and moaning again as usual!

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2023, 10:57:22 AM
You'd think it's a good thing that the UK get access to the game on a free to air station with many more thousands watching it than would usually.

The BBC coverage was excellent and has rightly drawn widespread support on Twitter. The only complaints I saw there were a few newcomers to the game who didn't fully understand the scoring system and would have liked it explained. I really enjoyed listening to the Irish celebrities which was a great idea for connecting with British GAA novices. The anchor is brilliant and the panel aren't afraid to express their own opinions.

tbrick18

Quote from: lenny on July 31, 2023, 11:08:53 AM

The BBC coverage was excellent and has rightly drawn widespread support on Twitter. The only complaints I saw there were a few newcomers to the game who didn't fully understand the scoring system and would have liked it explained. I really enjoyed listening to the Irish celebrities which was a great idea for connecting with British GAA novices. The anchor is brilliant and the panel aren't afraid to express their own opinions.

Exactly that, we just didn't get to hear enough from them.
I thought the celebrities was a real cringe feature tbh.
BBC coverage this year has been excellent but for me, the pandering to the wider UK audience in the final really took the gloss off the coverage for the final.

imtommygunn

I think they have seen a gap in "the market" with Dion Dublin coming over and what he said in relation to amateurism etc then focused on that. They probably did overplay it a bit yeah.

I still think it was good coverage but would have preferred to hear more from Murphy, McConville and Harte. Usually on RTE I would turn over the pundits so that's a significant step up...

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2023, 11:34:06 AM
I think they have seen a gap in "the market" with Dion Dublin coming over and what he said in relation to amateurism etc then focused on that. They probably did overplay it a bit yeah.

I still think it was good coverage but would have preferred to hear more from Murphy, McConville and Harte. Usually on RTE I would turn over the pundits so that's a significant step up...

I wouldn't turn over with Canavan on RTE, he's the best pundit about
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Tbf yeah he's very good and McGinley is good when Tyrone aren't playing. The rest I am not so sure about.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2023, 11:58:31 AM
Tbf yeah he's very good and McGinley is good when Tyrone aren't playing. The rest I am not so sure about.

I don't mind Tomas O'Se. Everyone else is rubbish.
Bring back Joe/Pat/Colm.  ;)
Sack Cantwell. Worst Anchor I have seen.

imtommygunn

Cantwell needs to completely reassess what she is at. Seems more intent on stirring the pot than being an anchor. She would do well to watch the BBC anchor Sarah Mulkeerins who is very good.

thewobbler

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2023, 04:22:52 PM
Cantwell needs to completely reassess what she is at. Seems more intent on stirring the pot than being an anchor. She would do well to watch the BBC anchor Sarah Mulkeerins who is very good.

She's a nuisance and I'd go so far as to suggest the coverage would be better with no anchor, than with her.

Blowitupref

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2023, 11:31:29 AM

BBC coverage this year has been excellent but for me, the pandering to the wider UK audience in the final really took the gloss off the coverage for the final.

Was too much pandering alright. Patrick Kielty who was part of the celebrities needs to be told not all players that play for their club is originally from their parish and not all inter county players were born in the county they play for.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Main Street

I must be the only one who doesn't mind Joanne, I thinks she's grand and a good fit in the studio. I watched the game on RTE because the  matchday crowd noise was audible and atmospheric, on BBC the crowd noise was supressed.
However I quickly switced back to the nordie channel  for the pre match/ht/post match shenanigans.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 31, 2023, 05:03:23 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2023, 11:31:29 AM

Was too much pandering alright. Patrick Kielty who was part of the celebrities needs to be told not all players that play for their club is originally from their parish and not all inter county players were born in the county they play for.

Also, didn't Kielty offer his services for 'Match of The Day' ? I presume he meant 'The Sunday Game'

Eire90

did lord kilkooney moan when bbc showed the superbowl  i bet lord kilcooney eats foreign food.

Sportacus

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2023, 05:22:52 PM
I must be the only one who doesn't mind Joanne, I thinks she's grand and a good fit in the studio. I watched the game on RTE because the  matchday crowd noise was audible and atmospheric, on BBC the crowd noise was supressed.
However I quickly switced back to the nordie channel  for the pre match/ht/post match shenanigans.
She's dead on when she doesn't try to force it. Not even the end of July and no more county football on the tv. Hard to believe that's the right balance .

tbrick18

Quote from: Sportacus on July 31, 2023, 09:11:45 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2023, 05:22:52 PM
She's dead on when she doesn't try to force it. Not even the end of July and no more county football on the tv. Hard to believe that's the right balance .

Saw a wee clip of her asking the 2 dublin lads if they are going to retire at the banquet. She got cut off when Fitzsimmons said that it was a terrible question to be asking them at the celebrations.
I think she's just cheeky and has a very poor presentation style. Tries too hard to be seen to be the one in control rather than just facilitating the debate/analysis.

The BBC anchor is excellent in comparison.