UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Any  thoughts on BBC NI 's coverage  of today's Hurling semi?

I thought it was quite good, although I thought. they  might have had a token Ulster man  on the panel of pundits

Looking forward to tomorrow's  semi and more bbc coverage.  I fancy Clare to beat  Kilkenny

square_ball

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 08, 2023, 11:35:00 PM
Any  thoughts on BBC NI 's coverage  of today's Hurling semi?

I thought it was quite good, although I thought. they  might have had a token Ulster man  on the panel of pundits

Looking forward to tomorrow's  semi and more bbc coverage.  I fancy Clare to beat  Kilkenny

Suppose Neil McManus was on co-comm duty as the Ulster rep in the punditry.

Did it go out UK wide or just BBC 6 counties?

bannside

Was this the first time ever a hurling semi final was broadcast live on BBC?

I watched first half on RTE and (maybe my problem) it kept buffering,  so I watched second half in BBC2 Ni and not a problem. Thomas Niblock was an excellent host and the panellists were as good as they needed to be. It wasn't Sky TV with its multi analysis/ freeze the frame here style, but it was a fantastic production that showed what our games are all about to a new audience who either switches off immediately -  or watched a while and marvelled at what they were seeing served up in a magnificent stadium, being entertained by amateur players from "down south".

All part of the ongoing greening of Ulster process!

Walter Cronc

Not a hurling man but McManus a class operator. Just explains things for us simple 'burn the hurls' hallions

snoopdog

I enjoyed bbc coverage. I'm sick of the old stale rte drivel. Niblock is good. The panel all legends of the game. Was surprised Sambo didn't make an appearance. Will watch today's semi on it also. Pity the game didn't live up to the billing. Limerick are different class though.

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 09, 2023, 07:53:00 AM
Not a hurling man but McManus a class operator. Just explains things for us simple 'burn the hurls' hallions

Hopefully he'll be on TSG full time next year.

Milltown Row2

Neil is a great pundit, not excitable, not looking to generate controversy just for the sake of it and knows the game and what goes into it.

He did a game a while back on RTE and got rave reviews for it, don't think he got another gig though, not sure why, playing commitments possibly.

Hopefully that's him more involved now, though he'll still be hurling for his club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on July 09, 2023, 08:32:11 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 09, 2023, 07:53:00 AM

Hopefully he'll be on TSG full time next year.

Can't see it but I have been wrong before  ;)

Joe Canning is a new addition to RTE this year and that's the sort of profile they seem to want. Haven't been overly impressed with Canning to be fair but it's his first year.

When you look at the pundits they have now they have all played and won All Irelands and can talk about what's needed to win on the big day. Unfortunately for Neil he doesent have that, through no fault of his own. He may get the odd appearance but not contracted like Cusack, Canning & Sheedy etc.

Bear in mind you also have someone like Lee Chin looking to carve out a spot in the pundit arena and you can see it can get crowded
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Using that logic Lee Chin won't be getting much punditry work.

Canning a bit wooden at the minute and that'll change, some media training and be more relaxed around the more experienced ones he'll come good, he's got the clean sweep, minor under 21 senior and club All Ireland's.

Neil though is very relaxed, comes across on screen very well, he done some radio RTE match commentary the other week I was listening to on way home from a game, was spot on, so he's getting something presently . 

Mullane for me is brilliant on the radio, he's a face to match radio too ;D only joking.. but his passion is great and he's always on considering he's yet to win an All Ireland
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

I noticed when Hawkeye was called in to check on a score, the (southern) commentator helpfully informed the BBCNI viewers for the answer, "tá means yes and níl means no". 

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2023, 01:29:58 PM
Using that logic Lee Chin won't be getting much punditry work.

Canning a bit wooden at the minute and that'll change, some media training and be more relaxed around the more experienced ones he'll come good, he's got the clean sweep, minor under 21 senior and club All Ireland's.

Neil though is very relaxed, comes across on screen very well, he done some radio RTE match commentary the other week I was listening to on way home from a game, was spot on, so he's getting something presently . 

Mullane for me is brilliant on the radio, he's a face to match radio too ;D only joking.. but his passion is great and he's always on considering he's yet to win an All Ireland

Chin has a massive profile in the south, he's in almost every advertising campaign related to GAA

And it's only my opinion, sure we will see & way too much credence given to "pundits". I usually don't listen to much to them
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffrongael

BBCNI Twitter had photos of their panel on a tweet earlier except one of the photos was of ex Limerick player Ciaran Carey instead of Jamesie O'Connor 🤡

blasmere

Not sure what the tweet said but Ciaran Carey was on the panel yesterday
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Saffrongael

Quote from: blasmere on July 09, 2023, 03:35:11 PM
Not sure what the tweet said but Ciaran Carey was on the panel yesterday

I was at the game yesterday so obviously didn't see the coverage, the tweet listed the panelist's with photos and mentioned Jamesie O'Connor but a photo of Ciaran Carey

They have it deleted now anyway

Captain Obvious

White shirts seems to be the dress code in the BBC studio.