UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

They're showing Armagh V Cavan from 1950! They're now doing retrospective coverage!  ;D

ONeill

YES! FINALLY! SIDECAR CROSS-RACING!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

As much as I hate to admit it, Tony is talking (some) sense on this one. The BBC has to cover all sports and there'll always be arguments over the balance. But I wouldn't expect it to give much coverage to club Championship games. The number of people at the games has very little to do with it.

And let's be honest, if there was real demand for coverage of the club championships, surely UTV would be sniffing around for a slice of the massive viewing figures?

But for the sake of balance, two things about the BBC's coverage do bug me:
1 - the broadcast of 'bad GAA news' (e.g. discipline issues) where they wouldn't otherwise acknowledge the event
2 - the general ignoring of non-Ulster action (although no-doubt a few of 'themmuns' get excited when the BBC spend their licence fee covering Monaghan v Donegal!)

muppet

Quote from: Throw ball on September 18, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2013, 04:19:45 PM
Lads can we give this a rest. Jesus!!

+1

I am always fascinated at this type of post.

Is somebody forcing you read this thread and the posts?  ;D
MWWSI 2017

clawaddy

Will the BBC show the Dublin/Mayo game on Sunday.  I am in Spain and can get BBC2

Walter Cronc

Quote from: muppet on September 18, 2013, 10:45:32 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on September 18, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2013, 04:19:45 PM
Lads can we give this a rest. Jesus!!

+1

I am always fascinated at this type of post.

Is somebody forcing you read this thread and the posts?  ;D

I'm all for constructive debate muppet but this was/is turning into a tit for tat childish arguement!

J OGorman

Quote from: clawaddy on September 19, 2013, 02:40:09 PM
Will the BBC show the Dublin/Mayo game on Sunday.  I am in Spain and can get BBC2

they are like fun....hairy bikers, songs of praise or sailing is your choice from a station that seemingly covers an adequate amount of GAA.  Someone posted a method of watching the rte player outside of Ireland if you have access to the www clawaddy

BennyCake

TV3 interview MOTM while cup presentation taking place. Takes a break and misses the celebrations just after the whistle. Pathetic coverage.

Feckitt

BBC & UTV gave both finals the coverage it deserved  (no more or no less), on their 6O'Clock evening bullettins.  However UTV twice referred to Mayo as 'The Heather County'

In all my life I have never heard this?  Is anyone else aware of this, or are UTV taking the piss again?

J OGorman

Quote from: Feckitt on September 23, 2013, 08:58:08 AM
BBC & UTV gave both finals the coverage it deserved  (no more or no less), on their 6O'Clock evening bullettins.  However UTV twice referred to Mayo as 'The Heather County'

In all my life I have never heard this?  Is anyone else aware of this, or are UTV taking the piss again?

I'll assume you live in an area of the north that gets rte OK

Feckitt

Yes, but not sure why you ask?

The reason I looked out for the local northern news bulletins is becuase there was a lot of comment on here and elsewhere about BBC not even giving the Hurling Final a mention.

J OGorman

well,if you were a gael and you lived in the hills and glens of the north coast and couldnt pick up rte, would you be thinking bbc and utv had enough coverage of yesterdays finals?

Feckitt

Your local useless politician and RTE are the people to send that question to.

My cousins all grew up in Camlough, South Armagh.  A nice place, and a real republican stronghold.  However, it was only last year when the digital switchover came that they finally got RTE.

Applesisapples

BBC and UTV coverage of GAA is nothing short of scandalous. They see the AI final if as foreign unless we have a team from the wee 6 playing. And before the excuses about it being regional are posted, the AI finals are of interest to all in the GAA in the 6 counties no matter who's playing and therefore deserve to be more than a foot note. We have the same shit with the golf and rugby as well.

J OGorman

Quote from: Feckitt on September 23, 2013, 10:19:41 AM
Your local useless politician and RTE are the people to send that question to.

My cousins all grew up in Camlough, South Armagh.  A nice place, and a real republican stronghold.  However, it was only last year when the digital switchover came that they finally got RTE.

Personally we get rte 2HD. Lots of folk dont and would have been put out by neither of the carriers showing the finals