UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I am not pushing any regional arguments or anything else, other than the personal opinion that the GAA gets a fair crack at the whip from the BBC these days (as recently as 1989 all you got was Ulster Final highlights and live coverage of the Ulster Champions getting duffed in the All Ireland semi final), with its main competitions (ie Provincial/ All Ireland Championship in the summer on tv, and National League in the winter on radio) all comprehensively covered.

Who knows why karting got a mention and the AI Hurling Final result didn't? Did a local win a World/European Karting event? Did the BBC assume that anyone on the island of Ireland remotely interested in hurling would have known the result at that stage? I don't know. The Steel and Sons Cup Final, a Christmas Day junior soccer event regularly attracts four or five thouand spectators but gets no mention on the Xmas bulletins whatsover.

I would also assume that the BBC meets regularly with the Ulster Council and at such meetings the output and the games/ competitions to be covered would be mutually agreed.

I will conclude with my core point that the BBC now gives GAA a comprehensive and fair airtime allocation, in my opinion.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Any craic on September 18, 2013, 02:38:30 PM
Well said Nally Stand & Feckitt but you're wasting your time with these lads. They're full of contradictions. tommygunn wants hurling but goes out of his way to back the BBC even though they completely ignored the Hurling Final. Then they tell me not to take things personally when there's clearly been a series of personal digs by brave anonymous posters, ranging from describing my posts as 'amazing rants' to vicious tirades that had to be removed. They have been making it personal because they can't seem to post without having a go at my arguments. I've tried to get it back to the wider debate but they keep going back to petty point-scoring and slamming everyone who dares challenge them. As I said before, let others speak and be reasonable.

Do you not see any irony in your last two points with reference to other people? If you are challenged on an opinion you just rubbish what the other person says through talk about personalising, listen to what the majority say, talking about slamming everyone who challenges them etc. Again in your last post you've done it.

We all want more coverage so right let's forget flaws in arguments etc etc as you're obviously looking for validation and not debate.

Line drawn
-------------------

What can be done by the general to get more GAA covered by the BBC? If the BBC for example don't have the cameramen at matches do they outsource?

Take an example - are all the Irish league matches covered at the weekend by BBC cameramen or do the Irish league cover it and send it to the BBC??

Zulu

QuoteWho knows why karting got a mention and the AI Hurling Final result didn't? Did a local win a World/European Karting event? Did the BBC assume that anyone on the island of Ireland remotely interested in hurling would have known the result at that stage?

Hope you're not in charge of a TV station Tony - No need to run with those planes crashing into the twin towers Sean, sure everyone knows about that now, lets lead with the story about the cat stuck in a tree in Omagh!!

T Fearon

Totally irrelevant argument. No comparison between juggling sports stories to world landmark and history changing events.

Feckitt

Juggling?, there's another sport which might get covered instead of the club championship.

Any craic

I can tell you from years of experience that the Steel & Sons Final always gets lots of mentions/coverage across the output and even sometimes a camera on xmas morning.

T Fearon

Funny, I search for the result each Christmas  Day (I know, that's sad, probably because I had a mate that won a medal over 30 years ago) and can never find it, not even on the BBC NI website, nor previously on the now defunct Ceefax service (which carried a full local results service including GAA).

Any craic

Well now come on, you'd be asking a bit much to expect a service on Christmas Day itself but certainly there's plenty of coverage in the build-up with TV/radio/online previews plus reports after the event. And as I say, from personal experience, I recall a camera being sent on occasion for reports that went out a day or two later.

Walter Cronc

Lads can we give this a rest. Jesus!!

ONeill

Always disappointed the BBC ignore the weekly pipe band championships. Every Saurday during the summer approx 4000 descend on a venue and it's completely ignored on the news. Piping racsim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

We'll know the BBC is impartial in 6 weeks or so, if they aren't all decked out in poppies.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

More GAA on the news coming up. But you can see in their eyes they're crossing their fingers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

On BBC Newsline now! A feature on footage from Ulster Finals over 50 years ago.

T Fearon

Armaghmaniac,the official broadcasting service displaying poppies honouring their war dead! What next? Queen Elizabeth being feted at Croke Park (again!).