Best score ever?

Started by befair, November 14, 2023, 12:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2023, 12:42:49 PMMichael Murphy against Galway (2015?)

The jump, the catch and shot

Don't have a video right now, but Martin McHugh's last point in the '92 Ulster Final... Three Derry men hanging out of him and he works the space out on the left wing to hit the decisive score from a narrow angle.

Surprised a donegal man isn't saying Kevin Cassidy vs Kildare.

JimStynes

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 14, 2023, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 14, 2023, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 01:36:21 PMMugsys goal

*close thread*

Am I the only one who has always thought this was a slighty overrated goal!
Not too many better that I can think of as much as I hate to say it.

If it was in the top corner I would agree but was just head down and blast it down the middle. The run was brilliant. Mugsy was out of form at the time, if I remember correctly and this kick started his season again. What a brilliant era of football.

smort

Seanies was on another level to rians

Saw this one live

RedHand88

Quote from: JimStynes on November 14, 2023, 01:54:02 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 14, 2023, 01:48:57 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 14, 2023, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: smort on November 14, 2023, 01:36:21 PMMugsys goal

*close thread*

Am I the only one who has always thought this was a slighty overrated goal!
Not too many better that I can think of as much as I hate to say it.

If it was in the top corner I would agree but was just head down and blast it down the middle. The run was brilliant. Mugsy was out of form at the time, if I remember correctly and this kick started his season again. What a brilliant era of football.

He was terrible that year up until that quarter final and ended up getting MOTM in the final!

thewobbler

If Mugsy's goal was overrated, the rest of everyone should just give up trying. The greatest score in HQ ever.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2023, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2023, 12:42:49 PMMichael Murphy against Galway (2015?)

Don't have a video right now, but Martin McHugh's last point in the '92 Ulster Final... Three Derry men hanging out of him and he works the space out on the left wing to hit the decisive score from a narrow angle.

Great score, no question, and iconic due to the circumstances, but it didn't require an unbelievable piece of skill or anything. He'd tried the same shot off his left a few minutes before and it drifted narrowly wide. I remember Kevin Walsh hitting a similar score against us in Croke Park in 2003 to bring our quarter final to a replay, but it's forgotten because we beat Galway in the replay.

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2023, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2023, 01:52:30 PM

Great score, no question, and iconic due to the circumstances, but it didn't require an unbelievable piece of skill or anything. He'd tried the same shot off his left a few minutes before and it drifted narrowly wide. I remember Kevin Walsh hitting a similar score against us in Croke Park in 2003 to bring our quarter final to a replay, but it's forgotten because we beat Galway in the replay.
Didn't he say he was near took off after missing the earlier one?

Daniel Flynn had a class score against the Dubs in Croker one year as well.

LC

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2023, 03:31:35 PMIf Mugsy's goal was overrated, the rest of everyone should just give up trying. The greatest score in HQ ever.

+1

You will find guys in every county who would have done something like that at underage but to do it at senior intercounty is something else.

Sad thing is the way football is these days i.e. sh+te it is very unlikely scores like this will be seen at this level much in the future.

AustinPowers

Cork's  second goal v Derry in 1993

The pass by   Don Davis and  finish by John O'Driscoll  was  sublime

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jj5FWMTg8&pp=ygUgSm9obiBv4oCZZHJpc2NvbGwgMTk5MyBnb2FsIGNvcms%3D

Sportacus

I don't have footage, but if anyone is with me, James McCartan Jnr scored a hell of a  goal against Armagh in Casement Park in the Championship back around early 90's. He had you off your seat. Only one thing on his mind - win the ball, burn his man, roof of the net.  Just don't get that anymore.

NotedObserver

Canavans goal in 05 final a beauty

befair

Best goal ever? This Ciaran McCabe goal must be a contender; not only a brilliant move and a superb strike, but in context of what was a pulsating game it also essentially decided that year's Sam Maguire. Though only the first round in Ulster, Down weren't seriously challenged afterwards. That was a brilliant Derry team, and I've no doubt they would also have won Sam comfortably.
Context is everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GvTBsA_TaA

Wildweasel74

Old Seamus Darbys,cause that's the goal that created history, and still talked about 40yrs later. Still say he fouled Doyle though,

Wildweasel74

Going bck a bit, Eamon Burns scored a great Point against Down in 1991, and, Damian O Reilly point in 1992 against Donegal all these years later stood out.