All-Stars 2023

Started by Blowitupref, July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Just one game to play whereby normally up to 10 are won by the two finalists.

In the running for the two finalists and few more will be added if they perform well in the final.

Kerry -  Shane Ryan,Graham O'Sullivan,Jason Foley,Diarmuid O'Connor,Sean O'Shea,David Clifford,Gavin White

Dublin - Stephen Cluxton,James McCarthy,Con O'Callaghan,Michael Fitzsimons,Cormac Costello,Colm Basquel,Lee Gannon

The beaten semi finalist normal get 2 or 3.

Best placed for Derry Gareth Mckinless,Brendan Rogers,Shane McGuigan,Conor McCluskey and Monaghan Rory Beggan,Conor McCarthy,Karl O'Connell,Conor McManus

Maybe 1 or 2 of the beaten Quarter finalists will one those who will likely be nominated David McBrien (Mayo) Darragh Canavan (Tyrone) Rory Maguire (Cork) Andrew Murnin (Armagh) and his county didn't reach the last 8 but I can imagine Enda Smith will at least be nominated.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

If McManus gets one, it'll be a longevity award for services to Monaghan, not for his C'ship performances this year.

I'd say it'll end up with:
Winners - 6
Runners up - 5
Derry - 3 (Rogers, McGuigan, McCloskey are the frontrunners)
Monaghan - 1 (McCarthy)

Though wouldn't be surprised if the finalists get more and Derry only get one or two.
Ulster League Champions 2009

statto

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

In the running for the two finalists and few more will be added if they perform well in the final.

Kerry -  Shane Ryan,Graham O'Sullivan,Jason Foley,Diarmuid O'Connor,Sean O'Shea,David Clifford,Gavin White

Dublin - Stephen Cluxton,James McCarthy,Con O'Callaghan,Michael Fitzsimons,Cormac Costello,Colm Basquel,Lee Gannon

Best placed for Derry Gareth Mckinless,Brendan Rogers,Shane McGuigan,Conor McCluskey and Monaghan Rory Beggan,Conor McCarthy,Karl O'Connell,Conor McManus

Maybe 1 or 2 of the beaten Quarter finalists will one those who will likely be nominated David McBrien (Mayo) Darragh Canavan (Tyrone) Rory Maguire (Cork) Andrew Murnin (Armagh) and his county didn't reach the last 8 but I can imagine Enda Smith will at least be nominated.
Fenton had a massive last 20 in the semi final if he turns up in the final will also be in the mix. 

marty34

Quote from: statto on July 19, 2023, 09:30:19 AM

Fenton had a massive last 20 in the semi final if he turns up in the final will also be in the mix.

I don't think Cluxton will be in the running. Will he?

imtommygunn

Quote from: statto on July 19, 2023, 09:30:19 AM

Basquel will need a big final too as he was subbed last day out.

I think McCluskey is great but I am not sure he will get one. I think Derry will get two - McGuigan and one other. If Fenton has a big final and O'Connor has too then Rodgers maybe won't get one whereas most think he will be a shoe in. James McCarthy wlll probably have a big game as he always does but like someone says he will maybe get shifted to the half back line. Conor McCarthy deserves one. Masterstroke moving him back to half back. I think he scored more than he does in the forwards from there too.

Walter Cronc

If Rogers doesn't get one it's a farce. Should have got one last year. McCluskey the other contender. McGuigan possibly. Can't see Mckinless despite his heroics last Sunday.

imtommygunn

There's huge competition there. McCarthy, Fenton, O'Connor from Kerry and then arguably O"Connor from Mayo.

statto

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2023, 09:52:55 AM
There's huge competition there. McCarthy, Fenton, O'Connor from Kerry and then arguably O"Connor from Mayo.
Can't see O'Connor being in the reckoning with Mayo hammered in the end up in quarter final. 

Will be between Fenton, McCarthy, Rogers and O'Connor Kerry I would imagine.  As someone else said may move McCarthy to wing back to get another midfielder squeezed in. 

Rogers has been brilliant for Derry and add in its his first year playing as a midfielder also. 

imtommygunn

Yeah definitely been fantastic but also there is a possibility he won't get one though hopefully he will.

Rossfan

Quote from: Estimator on July 19, 2023, 08:16:06 AM
If McManus gets one, it'll be a longevity award for services to Monaghan, not for his C'ship performances this year.

I'd say it'll end up with:
Winners - 6
Runners up - 5
Derry - 3 (Rogers, McGuigan, McCloskey are the frontrunners)
Monaghan - 1 (McCarthy)

Though wouldn't be surprised if the finalists get more and Derry only get one or two.
AI winners 7, Runners up 4, Semi Finalists 1 each.
2 up for grabs....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

All depends on how the final goes.
If, for example, Kerry beat Dublin out the gate (or vice verse) then you could expect the semi finalists to perhaps be on a par with the losing side in terms of numbers of Allstars.

IMO, for what it's worth, so far there haven't been that many outstanding consistent performances. Even D Clifford was quiet in the QF (though he's a cert for an Allstar).

With Derry tinted glasses on, at least nominations for McCloskey, McEvoy, McKaigue, Rogers, McKinless, McGuigan.
Realistically, we'll probably do well to get 2 allstars as semi-finalists. If I'd to pick 2, I'd have Rogers and McKinless.

imtommygunn

oakleaflad

McGuigan would be the second forward on the team for me after Clifford. I think he's almost nailed on. You're looking at maybe one or two more from Cluckey, Rogers and McKinless then.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2023, 10:47:57 AM
No McGuigan?

McGuigan is top class no doubt, but he had a quiet QF and that mis-hit free at the end of the SF will probably go against him in Allstar terms.
But I agree that he's probably in the argument for one of top forwards in country (as was Paddy Bradley for years).
But with Kerry and Dublin in the final, I've no doubt that's where the bulk of forwards would come from. For me the 2 players who were most consistent for Derry in QF/SFs (which is really all they look much at for allstars) are mckinless and rogers.

In terms of deserving, I'd have Mcloskey, Mckinless, Rogers, McGuigan, Glass and McKaigue on the allstar team, but that'll never happen.

delgany

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 19, 2023, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2023, 10:47:57 AM
No McGuigan?

McGuigan is top class no doubt, but he had a quiet QF and that mis-hit free at the end of the SF will probably go against him in Allstar terms.
But I agree that he's probably in the argument for one of top forwards in country (as was Paddy Bradley for years).
But with Kerry and Dublin in the final, I've no doubt that's where the bulk of forwards would come from. For me the 2 players who were most consistent for Derry in QF/SFs (which is really all they look much at for allstars) are mckinless and rogers.

In terms of deserving, I'd have Mcloskey, Mckinless, Rogers, McGuigan, Glass and McKaigue on the allstar team, but that'll never happen.

I don't believe that McGuigan mis hit the last free! I'm sure that  the ref spoke to him that it was the last kick off the game , so a point was his only option. Mc Guigan made a signal to another player to say as much