MAYO v ROSCOMMON - Connacht Football Championship - Quarter-Final

Started by From the Bunker, April 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 10, 2023, 10:30:18 PM
I watched the game wanting to Roscommon to win but probably more neutral than anything else. Roscommon were very good in so many facets. Ball retentions, setting traps, squeeze defence, clinical etc... but no mention on here about the referee?

I thought the ref had a decent game to be honest. He wasn't fooled by lads (on both sides) diving at various points trying to win frees. He generally waved play on and called it right usually. Think he got the penalty call right as well. I would gladly have taken him over the buck the week before anyway.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 10, 2023, 11:24:02 PM
I watched the game wanting to Roscommon to win but probably more neutral than anything else. Roscommon were very good in so many facets. Ball retentions, setting traps, squeeze defence, clinical etc... but no mention on here about the referee?

I thought the ref had a decent game to be honest. He wasn't fooled by lads (on both sides) diving at various points trying to win frees. He generally waved play on and called it right usually. Think he got the penalty call right as well. I would gladly have taken him over the buck the week before anyway.
I thought he refereed the tackle, going down for the ball and in third man type stuff differently for both teams. He got the penalty right but I felt Mayo had to work a lot harder for their frees.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Captain Obvious

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM

I thought he refereed the tackle, going down for the ball and in third man type stuff differently for both teams. He got the penalty right but I felt Mayo had to work a lot harder for their frees.

Mayo were fouling a lot more throughout the game. The two late throw up balls was foolish fouls by Aidan O'Shea.  Roscommon much more disciplined in the tackle.

highorlow

He's the same ref that cost Roscommon a certain league win in 2019 v Tyrone, he overturned a free he had given to Ross when the teams were level. Ross may have avoided relegation that year but for that decision.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

twohands!!!

Yeah I would have said he had a decent game and got the vast majority of the calls right - the major one he got wrong for me was the yellow for AoS as opposed to black.

seafoid

Jim McGuinness

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/11/jim-mcguinness-after-all-the-hype-mayo-face-familiar-doubts/

Roscommon were ready physically, ready mentally – they were ready for the battle in the lion's den. They were at it from the first whistle and had all the energy and desire. They fought for every ball, won balls they possibly shouldn't have, attacked their own kickouts, were brave on the breaking ball, and they had an incredibly well organised defensive structure.

It was a great day for Roscommon, but I was left asking myself, where does all this leave Mayo? I don't subscribe to the theory they will benefit from a decent break now before the All-Ireland series because nothing beats winning, especially if you are a new manager trying to cultivate a winning mentality within a group.
Mayo finished the league with so many positives, they found new payers, Tommy Conroy returned, Aidan O'Shea looked rejuvenated, and they were one of the best conditioned sides around. Coming out of the league, there was a general feeling they were the top team in the country on current form.
So, Kevin McStay will have spent Sunday night tossing and turning in his bed, wrestling with what happened – a common predicament for Mayo managers for years.
The hype and expectation hase been replaced by a severe dose of reality. The challenge now is for Kevin to manage that because, for all the positivity of the league, he's actually back in the very same place as all of his predecessors, wondering, "how do I lift these lads again and get them over the line?" And those last five words are the most important ones – get them over the line.
We know Mayo will respond, because that is what they have always done, but what we don't know is if they are good enough to go all the way. In that regard it's not so much about getting over the line, it's about crawling over that line. A line that has haunted Mayo for longer than they care to remember.
That line might be metaphorical, but it's also very bloody real. And Mayo aren't any closer to crossing it after Sunday.

Rossfan

Did we hit peak and "win our All Ireland " Sunday?
Hopefully not and that it was just Davy's mantra of consistency acting out.
Feet back on ground though as we could have been 1-3 to 0-1 down in that 1st quarter.
We face a sterner test and better forwards the next day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Burke is a forward looking coach. He will have a different plan for Galway.
What would success look like? Getting to a quarter final ? Or a semi final ?

Wildweasel74

To be honest I thought he was hard on Mayo. There were a number of pull bcks which are frees, he let go. My issue is, what is a free in a national league game should still be a free in the championship. But Mayo only have themselves to blame. They had plenty of ball and could took their points last 20mins, instead trying to run it into the nets. See O'Shea getting abit of flank while Ruane, and all the other forwards getting a free pass, and to me, it's them that cost them the game. Roscommon done well, have great forwards, still not convinced by their defence, which we see on a dry day. Only bug bear pretending to be hurt all the time.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2023, 09:48:42 AM
In January success woukd have been seen as hanging on in Div 1, giving Mayowestros a game , making knock out stages and being competitive there.
Now it's winning Connacht and reaching Qtr Finals and be competitive there.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2023, 11:06:05 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2023, 09:48:42 AM
In January success woukd have been seen as hanging on in Div 1, giving Mayowestros a game , making knock out stages and being competitive there.
Now it's winning Connacht and reaching Qtr Finals and be competitive there.
Ros had a bad experience in the Super 8s. I think that was why McStay left. So presumably a strong performance in the Round Robins would absolve the sins of the Super 8s.

Rossfan

With 3 out of 4 going through it's not a big ask.
It's how we do after that....

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2023, 11:58:47 AM
There was also last year's mi-adh against Clare . Ros should be well able this year for the Qfs

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2023, 11:58:47 AM

Success for Ros this year is the same as it is for the rugby team at the World Cup - winning a quarter-final.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM

Brendan Cawley and Noel Mooney certainly refereed the game differently.

Only issue I'd have with Mooney was the time keeping especially in the first half where he added only a minute.