Monaghan Covid Breach

Started by macker15, April 08, 2021, 08:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2021, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2021, 11:04:58 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-poised-to-declare-bans-on-dublin-and-monaghan-managers-null-and-void-ahead-of-further-investigation-40291101.html

So Banty held the training session on his own club grounds, it just goes to show that you aren't safe anywhere!

The penalties aren't exactly a deterrent for other counties though, loss of home venue is of no relevance in the current climate. Farrell and Banty might now miss the opening championship fixture but it depends what the managerial suspension covers in terms of any potential impact this might have. If it is a complete stadium & training ban then it might have some effect but otherwise if it is just a touchline ban on matchdays then it will have little or no impact given the amount of backroom staff involved now at county level.

Given these are high profile now and the minister is even on record saying how annoyed he is, I think the GAA will be acting swiftly with a much stronger punishment. Remember these bans were put in place by the county boards of the respective counties. I think the GAA would be correct to deduct league points of counties, refuse them home advantage in games or whatever. And I say that even though I think the restriction on outdoor sport is wrong. But put yourself in the shoes of someone who has lost a relative, a job etc looking on at this carry one from Dublin and especially Monaghan.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Itchy on April 09, 2021, 11:23:06 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-poised-to-declare-bans-on-dublin-and-monaghan-managers-null-and-void-ahead-of-further-investigation-40291101.html

So Banty held the training session on his own club grounds, it just goes to show that you aren't safe anywhere!

The penalties aren't exactly a deterrent for other counties though, loss of home venue is of no relevance in the current climate. Farrell and Banty might now miss the opening championship fixture but it depends what the managerial suspension covers in terms of any potential impact this might have. If it is a complete stadium & training ban then it might have some effect but otherwise if it is just a touchline ban on matchdays then it will have little or no impact given the amount of backroom staff involved now at county level.

Given these are high profile now and the minister is even on record saying how annoyed he is, I think the GAA will be acting swiftly with a much stronger punishment. Remember these bans were put in place by the county boards of the respective counties. I think the GAA would be correct to deduct league points of counties, refuse them home advantage in games or whatever. And I say that even though I think the restriction on outdoor sport is wrong. But put yourself in the shoes of someone who has lost a relative, a job etc looking on at this carry one from Dublin and especially Monaghan.

I think the fact that this and the Dublin offence actually took place on GAA grounds plus the fact that what Cork and Down did wasn't technically against the law whereas Dublin and Monaghan did break the law will be a factor in the severity of the punishment.
Also Down and Cork made the argument that when they met up that it was a once-off breach and not an ongoing return to training. There's no way Dublin and Monaghan are going to get away with trying that defence. I would imagine the statement released when Monaghan and Dublin get punished will make a specific mention of all these factors as an explanation of why their punishment will be more than what Down and Cork got.

I did say that I felt that Dublin GAA had made a mis-step by issuing the ban to Dessie.
I did question whether they had followed correct procedure at the time.
I am a bit surprised that that the powers-that-be have actually come out and actually declared the suspensions null and void.
I thought they would basically just ignore what the county boards in Dublin and Monaghan did and impose their punishment with no reference to the county boards actions.
Another factor is that Dublin's credibility is not exactly great in terms of breaching training bans given they were called in to explain their "historical" trip to France in 2019.
It's quite clear that Dublin and Monaghan's punishments will be harsher than what Cork and Down got - the big question is by how much.

macker15

2 Monaghan clubs caught training. Guards involved.

clarshack

Quote from: macker15 on April 10, 2021, 07:51:25 PM

Must be some amount of touts around Monaghan.

macker15

Quote from: clarshack on April 10, 2021, 09:06:07 PM

Could be to do with paying outside managers.

RedHand88

Don't even start.

Armagh18

Tramps.

Hound

Your last sentence is emotive hyperbole, I'm unfortunately in that camp, but I know what Dublin and Monaghan were caught doing is very low risk and has no impact whatsoever on my troubles.

But they broke the rules and should be punished. GAA made a mistake imo in not outlining appropriate punishments. The precedent of losing a manager for a few weeks and losing home advantage for a couple of game was no deterrent. Someone mentioned a training ban, which would be a great idea. If teams thought the punishment would mean a 12 week training ban (starting from when every one else is allowed train - individual training only, zoom calls for team meetings, only allowed meet in person on game day), then nobody would chance breaking the rules.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on April 12, 2021, 09:43:12 AM

Your last sentence is emotive hyperbole, I'm unfortunately in that camp,

Emotive hyperbole at loud volume is the norm and part of everyday conversation in Cavan.  You'd fit in well in Cavan, Hound and also  if you're partial to howling at the moon.
But they broke the rules and should be punished. GAA made a mistake imo in not outlining appropriate punishments. The precedent of losing a manager for a few weeks and losing home advantage for a couple of game was no deterrent.

Fortunately for Monaghan the kid glove sanctions of the type that had already been issued to the Dubs set the precedent for the sanctions issued to Monaghan.