When will club football start?

Started by Smokin Joe, February 10, 2021, 09:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

I know that no one knows, but what do we think are realistic dates for club football to be allowed back training again?

Surely we won't have to wait until the majority of adults are vaccinated before football could be played (as it is outdoors)?  If we do, that would be bad news as the South are so far behind the North in the vaccines roll out.

What's the current best guesses?

South Laois man

Not sure about dates for starting training. But it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a season very similar to last season. It would suit  the GAA also. The vaccination process hopefully picks up in the next few months and we have most adults done by September. Then maybe crowds could start to come back for inter county.

Louther

No GAA activity of any kind until Easter as per breaking story on Twitter.

Possibility could be back to club season first again as planned calendar now in taters.

FermGael

Gaa intercounty no longer considered an elite sport.

Is the government saying senior intercounty Gaa teams can't be trusted to follow the regulations ?

I wonder what could have happened for then to come to that conclusion ......
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

themac_23

So club games in the north won't be allowed to go ahead even if the NI Executive allow sport to start up again earlier than the south?

Louther

Quote from: FermGael on February 10, 2021, 07:59:23 PM

Is the government saying senior intercounty Gaa teams can't be trusted to follow the regulations ?

I'd imagine the high profile incidents couldn't have helped plus the defence been that "sure everyone at it, they just didn't get caught" wouldn't have gone un noted.

Seems to be be that they aren't a bubble in itself - playing/training in a group and then going into other bubbles such as work/family etc.

clarshack

Quote from: themac_23 on February 10, 2021, 08:08:53 PM
So club games in the north won't be allowed to go ahead even if the NI Executive allow sport to start up again earlier than the south?

The GAA could lose a lot of players to the other sports in the North you would imagine then.

themac_23

Quote from: clarshack on February 10, 2021, 08:20:04 PM

The GAA could lose a lot of players to the other sports in the North you would imagine then.

Yip, as soon as soccer gets the go ahead they'll be back at it, lads who haven't kicked a ball in 6 months will jump at the chance to get going. GAA needs to be careful here

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 08:11:54 PM

I'd imagine the high profile incidents couldn't have helped plus the defence been that "sure everyone at it, they just didn't get caught" wouldn't have gone un noted.

Seems to be be that they aren't a bubble in itself - playing/training in a group and then going into other bubbles such as work/family etc.

At the time bars were allowing parties after county championship finals, bars are not open now and I'd like to think a tighter control by authorities would be better this time round.

I'd like to see how in control things are after the 5th of March, if we are in better control then outside sports should go ahead
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: themac_23 on February 10, 2021, 08:26:36 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 10, 2021, 08:20:04 PM

Yip, as soon as soccer gets the go ahead they'll be back at it, lads who haven't kicked a ball in 6 months will jump at the chance to get going. GAA needs to be careful here

That's exactly what they are doing.

As has been said previously, I'd say a repeat of last year will happen. Counting the days to get back on the pitch, as I'm sure most of us all are!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2021, 08:32:57 PM

At the time bars were allowing parties after county championship finals, bars are not open now and I'd like to think a tighter control by authorities would be better this time round.

I'd like to see how in control things are after the 5th of March, if we are in better control then outside sports should go ahead

But the GAA are the authorities here.

The government clearly don't have confidence that they will run things better this time round.

dublin7

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 10, 2021, 11:24:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2021, 08:32:57 PM

But the GAA are the authorities here.

The government clearly don't have confidence that they will run things better this time round.

Clubs and county boards all over the country ignored Covid restrictions during the club championships and that had to be a factor. Blackrock organised a parade to celebrate winning the hurling championship in Cork.

The fact the GAA has to suspend the club championships early as club celebrations were getting out of hand must have influenced the decision.

Also that rugby/league of Ireland didn't have any incidents and followed the rules looks bad too.

NAG1

Not that I think these incidents affected the decision materially I think it is an absolute disgrace that these counties and managers have acted in this way.

Instead of reducing the ban for the 'Down' manager they should have been throwing the book at him and using it as an example. Disgraceful behaviour from someone who should know better.

Louther

Quote from: NAG1 on February 11, 2021, 08:39:26 AM

Not that I think these incidents affected the decision materially I think it is an absolute disgrace that these counties and managers have acted in this way.

Instead of reducing the ban for the 'Down' manager they should have been throwing the book at him and using it as an example. Disgraceful behaviour from someone who should know better.

Absolutely agree, and even after their appeal at the hearings committee the ban then hold with immediate affect basically expiring in early rounds of proposed league dates. Now it looks like he'll miss nothing.

Given the scale of the GAA it is hard to keep everything in order but I do think there was too many high profile incidents and too much throw back from GAA quarters demanding answers and rights that others didn't. Rugby and other sports kept their house in order as such, albeit with less playing numbers and profile.

MM on RTE1 this morning did give some hope that in the revised pathway to be issued in couple of weeks that some leeway could yet be given and he mentioned balance has to be found with sport. But at present positive cases are too high and close contact testing also giving too high a % positive - now at 22% of close contacts been tested are positive compared to a previous high of 10%.

manfromdelmonte