Football All stars 2020

Started by seafoid, January 15, 2021, 10:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-dominate-football-all-star-nominations-with-13-1.4458681

Dublin dominate football All Star nominations with 13
Brian Fenton, Ciaran Kilkenny and Cillian O'Connor on Footballer of the Year shortlist
about 3 hours ago
Ian O'Riordan

There is one less county represented than last year and another worthy 13 again for Dublin, with Cavan and Tipperary also taking a special share of nominations for the 2020 All Star football team.

Players from 10 counties are represented (one less than 2019), Dublin's 13 nominations (the same as last year) among the 45-strong shortlist reflecting their record sixth successive All-Ireland win, with players nominated throughout every area of the pitch.

Sponsored by PwC and presented by the GAA in association with the Gaelic Players Association (GPA), beaten finalists Mayo are next with 12 contenders for the outright All Star team: it is intended that a televised presentation of the 2020 All Star awards will take place late next month, in line with Covid-19 restrictions.

After winning a first Ulster title since 1997, Cavan have been rewarded with seven nominations, including their inspirational goalkeeper Raymond Galligan, who helped seal the first round Ulster win over Monaghan, and also veteran midfielder Gearóid McKiernan. Cavan's only previous All Star football winners were Ollie Brady (1978) and Dermot McCabe (1997).

Tipperary's memorable march to a first Munster senior football title since 1935 is also reflected in four nominations for defenders Kevin Fahy and Bill Maher, with Colin O'Riordan among the midfield contenders and captain Conor Sweeney named among the forward contenders. Their last All Star in football was Michael Quinlivan in 2016.

Iain Corbett's standout exploits for Limerick in their league and championship displays in 2020 is honoured with an inclusion among the 18 top defenders - a nomination for the county footballers for the first time since John Galvin in 2010. There are three nominations for Ulster finalists Donegal, two for Galway and with Armagh's Aidan Forker, Cork midfielder Ian Maguire and Kerry attacker David Clifford also included.

Dublin's Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny are joined by Mayo forward Cillian O'Connor in the shortlist for the Footballer of the Year Award, which will be chosen by their peers. For Fenton, the 2018 winner, it's the chance to match Trevor Giles from Meath, the only other player to win the award twice (in 1996 and 1999), Fenton also in line to collect his fifth All Star. Last year's footballer of the year Stephen Cluxton is in line to win his seventh award.

The vote for the Young Footballer of the Year Award will be an all-Mayo affair, with emerging stars Oisín Mullin (Kilmaine), Eoghan McLaughlin (Westport) and Tommy Conroy (the Neale) shortlisted.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

How does Clifford get a nomination?

Rossfan

I'd hoped Covid had out an end to this annual farce.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

toby47

Angelo

Quote from: the_daddy on January 15, 2021, 10:26:54 AM
Quote from: toby47 on January 15, 2021, 10:09:01 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 15, 2021, 10:05:16 AM

my thoughts exactly

League performances. Cork and Dublin have dominated the league for the last 10/11 years but before that the league winners got a token nomination as a matter of course and they were more than token nominations before the backdoor was introduced, players actually got All Stars based on the league.

Doesn't make sense if the likes of Paul Conroy is also getting nominated.

McCurry much more worthy of a nomination than either of those two for me.

Clifford had a howler against Cork and Conroy barely played any league and just one Championship game. McCurry was Tyrone's best player against Donegal and their best player int the league.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Bar Clifford, who probably had a good league season, his championship performance wouldn't have been his best performance.

Can't argue too much with the rest, the best teams of the year got some reps in

Usually the league isn't really the main driver in these nominations, but with games going to knockout, its bound to have a say in some.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: the_daddy on January 15, 2021, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 11:04:25 AM

my thoughts exactly

League performances. Cork and Dublin have dominated the league for the last 10/11 years but before that the league winners got a token nomination as a matter of course and they were more than token nominations before the backdoor was introduced, players actually got All Stars based on the league.

Clifford had a howler against Cork and Conroy barely played any league and just one Championship game. McCurry was Tyrone's best player against Donegal and their best player int the league.
Take it up with the selection committee, I'm talking about Clifford and only stating the fact that the League winners always get at least 1 nominee and it wasn't unusual for them to get a spot in the team before the back door.

I'm saying the logic doens't really stack up. You're saying it does?

J70

From a Donegal perspective, its nice to see Peader Mogan get get recognized for his promise so early in his career, but the complete systems failure in the Ulster final left such a bitter taste in the mouth, I'm almost embarrassed we've got three nominations (nothing against Langan and Thompson who also played well in the other two games).

Shouldn't be a non-Cavan Ulster man anywhere near an All Star 15 this year.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on January 15, 2021, 11:55:22 AM
From a Donegal perspective, its nice to see Peader Mogan get get recognized for his promise so early in his career, but the complete systems failure in the Ulster final left such a bitter taste in the mouth, I'm almost embarrassed we've got three nominations (nothing against Langan and Thompson who also played well in the other two games).

Shouldn't be a non-Cavan Ulster man anywhere near an All Star 15 this year.

There won't be anyone outside the provincial winners getting one. Galway played one game, Cork were awful, Meath got hockeyed. Donegal have a few deserved nominees but won't get one.

dublin7

Ciaran Kilkenny should win POTY but Cillian O'Connor is a good bet to win it. Fenton and Kilkenny will split the votes and COC as the only non dub could benefit

tonto1888

Good to see Forker getting a nomination

Taylor

Quote from: dublin7 on January 15, 2021, 12:19:23 PM
Ciaran Kilkenny should win POTY but Cillian O'Connor is a good bet to win it. Fenton and Kilkenny will split the votes and COC as the only non dub could benefit

In fairness COC deserves it.

His performance in the semi final was as good a performance for many a year.

Fenton a very close second

Angelo

Quote from: Taylor on January 15, 2021, 01:28:28 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 15, 2021, 12:19:23 PM

In fairness COC deserves it.

His performance in the semi final was as good a performance for many a year.

Fenton a very close second

Performances against a Div 3 Tipp side really stick out alright.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Angelo on January 15, 2021, 11:04:25 AM

my thoughts exactly

Galway just didn't have the games after the Sligo game was cancelled. Conroy was excellent against Mayo but Galway were gone after one game. He was probably man of the match against Dublin in the final league game. Only had the one championship match which is a pity as he really was at the top of his game in the latter half of the year. Especially coming off a double leg break.

Ultimately two great displays against both the All-Ireland finalists late in the year got him the nod. And in this abbreviated season that was probably enough.

Itchy

I think Cavan will get 3 maximum.

Galligan is a cert in goals I think
Thomas Galligan interestingly nominated as a forward but I think he will make it
Then one of either Padraig Faulkner or Ciaran Holla Brady

Very odd to see Clifford get nominated