The GAA is "misogynist!"

Started by Eamonnca1, January 02, 2021, 11:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Bit of an embarrassing hit piece in the Irish Times the other day from the comically misinformed Orla Muldoon claiming that the association doesn't treat its female players very well. She's going to feel stupid when she realizes the GAA doesn't have any female players.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/orla-muldoon-the-gaa-is-institutionally-misogynistic-1.4444783

The rebuttals have been flowing into the letters page:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/the-gaa-and-women-1.4447609

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/misogyny-in-the-gaa-1.4448109

thewobbler

The article shouldn't have gone to print.

Subeditors once held a more important position than headline writers. One day hopefully the balance will return.

From the Bunker

Nobody reads Newspapers anymore.

Well not many under 50!

armaghniac

It is rather concerning that a person teaching in a university would write such Ill informed crap. People send bad tweets, some of us even post poorly constructed posts on forums, but to put your name to the like of that in a newspaper article can hardly project a professional image for UL.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Is the ladies games all under the one roof now? Or if not, should it be?

Would that result in less of what she's saying is supposedly happening?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2021, 10:57:05 AM

Gaa have a real opportunity here. The "ladies game" has seen phenomenal development over recent years. Correct me if I'm wrong but the AI ladies final is the biggest crowd in Europe for women's Sport. In our own club , our female section is vibrant and will get even stronger . Integration across GAA/Lgfa and camogie is the clearly the way forward , and allows clubs to provide for all in member's families . The ladies game will never meet its potential if they are treated like second class citizens . Tbf most other sports are even further behind in terms of gender equality

Milltown Row2

Our ladies side of things is phenomenal tbh, theres growth every year.

The parents within that group also have a team, Gaelic mums team, they have tournaments and so on.

We've two pitches but with that growth we'd need another I'd say, the pitches are allocated via the club sec, as far as I'm aware, as I'll see the messages, the pitch is divided up fairly.

Maybe in the early days there could have been preference to senior teams but I've not seen that in a long time.

This article seems a sweeping generalisation tbf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

The article was bizarre. Coupled with the Irish imperialism article the paper is veering very quickly into clickbait territory.

While I appreciate the general public might not understand the nuance of three organisations, to write and have an article published not getting that is suspicious

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: 6th sam on January 03, 2021, 12:47:03 PM

Gaa have a real opportunity here. The "ladies game" has seen phenomenal development over recent years. Correct me if I'm wrong but the AI ladies final is the biggest crowd in Europe for women's Sport. In our own club , our female section is vibrant and will get even stronger . Integration across GAA/Lgfa and camogie is the clearly the way forward , and allows clubs to provide for all in member's families . The ladies game will never meet its potential if they are treated like second class citizens . Tbf most other sports are even further behind in terms of gender equality

I can't think of any?

manfromdelmonte

Our local LGFA club didn't want to merge fully with the men's club

Itchy

The ball is in the ladies court on this one and if the imbecile who wrote the original article did even a smidgeon of research she'd have known that.

johnnycool

Quote from: Itchy on January 03, 2021, 11:06:14 PM
The ball is in the ladies court on this one and if the imbecile who wrote the original article did even a smidgeon of research she'd have known that.

Entirely correct there. Can only speak for our club and the camogs are fully integrated at club level but nothing in common at CB and National Level which is a pain in the hole for our registrar and the likes as insurance of players and teams is totally different.

There was a big push a few years back but that faltered on a rock at national level so saw that headline and didn't go any further as I knew it was pish.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on January 04, 2021, 03:47:14 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 03, 2021, 11:06:14 PM

Entirely correct there. Can only speak for our club and the camogs are fully integrated at club level but nothing in common at CB and National Level which is a pain in the hole for our registrar and the likes as insurance of players and teams is totally different.

There was a big push a few years back but that faltered on a rock at national level so saw that headline and didn't go any further as I knew it was pish.
Totally agree JC. Our club have always been completely integrated but could never understand how our games persist with extra admin layers at county and national level.

Eamonnca1

It's all under one roof in the international units and it works great. The only problem is administrative confusion when it comes to dealing with the three different associations based in Ireland, plus the expense of sending delegates to three different congresses. There's also a bit of confusion about the playing rules. Apparently there's a sin bin in ladies' football but I don't think I've ever seen it used in the states.