Ger Canning...

Started by 5 Sams, May 16, 2007, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Fíor Gael

Louth Exile

"Adored by his female fans"  :D :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Kerry Mike

Also from that site:
QuoteHe commentates on English Premiership matches, Olympic Games, Pigeon Racing and World Cup matches for RTÉ.

QuoteThe chirpy Canning is extremely popular in his native Cork and is adored by his many female fans for his wordsmithery and chivalrous nature. The exuberant Canning has a passion for hurling, mountain-climbing and world cinema.

FFS
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

CiKe

what the hell was anybody doing looking up Ger Canning?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Monkleton (principal editor of that particular entry) = Ger Canning  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syd

I think Ger Canning would eat himself if he could.

mournerambler

Does anyone else think that this commentator is a proper pain in the arse & tends to use the same phrases over & over again, I would love to know how many times during the 1st half today has he described a player using the following 'he's having a great season'.
The 30 players on the field today are all having a great season Ger or they wouldn't be playing in Croke Park today.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteCareer

Born in Cork on August 1, 1951. Ger Canning was a secondary school teacher at South Presentation school in Cork City when he began his broadcasting career with Cork Local Radio in 1978[1].

Two years later in 1980 he joined the national broadcaster, Radio Telefís Éireann, as a member of the station's sports department. As a fluent Irish-speaker his first All-Ireland final commentary was on RTÉ 2 in 1981, as the station then had a policy of using the two channels for commentaries in both English and Irish. After Michael O'Hehir's retirement due to ill-health in 1985, Canning became the main Gaelic Athletic Association commentator on RTÉ television. Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh took over O'Hehir's duties as a radio commentator. To date Canning has broadcast nearly 50 All-Ireland finals (including three in Irish).

Canning has worked on many sporting events for RTÉ, including:

* Soccer including 5 World Cups
    * 5 Olympic Games
    * Basketball
    * International rules football
    * Greyhound Racing

Tony Fearon once tried to eat Ger Canning at an all you can eat buffet in the Citywest Hotel after the 2003 All Ireland Football Final.

Right who's responsible for putting that on Ger's wikipedia page?!  :D
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hardy

Hardy

He's popular with his students, though, so he must have a hidden good side.

http://ie.ratemyteachers.com/ger-canning/63303-t

redandblack4ever

That last comment on the Wiki site is absolutely hilarious. Whoever put it on his page, deserves a medal. ROLFMAO!!
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

joecanning

very good player but not as good as me obviously