Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2021, 06:08:42 PM
We all do "down here".
For the record the Irish Free State passed away 31/12/1937.

I was in an Irish Centre in England some years ago (2014 maybe) to watch a Tyrone/Mayowestros game.
A crowd early 20s bucks from the North came to watch it and it was non stop "Free State bastards" throughout the game, which they thought was hilarious.
Must have been all Angela's relations  ;D

I'm not saying they're representative but jases they were most annoying.

Don't lump the rest of us in with them Tyrone bastids. They truly are on their own.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 01, 2021, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 01, 2021, 04:29:23 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 01, 2021, 03:48:32 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 01, 2021, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2021, 12:03:25 PM
You believe what you want Trueblue  or what suits your closed mind.
I just recounted what actually happened.
Over and out.

From most other posters I'd have taken it as face value. From you, with your history of anti-northern posts and cheap post scoring, I'd take it with a strong pinch of salt.

Lar, I have no doubt there were people who thought that way. There's always lazy people who will jump to a viewpoint that suits their narrative. You have it on here, where you have posters (from both sides I should add) that were attempting to use posts from some anonymous posters who's on the wind up as the reason they'd vote against a UI. When in reality these people are just embarrassed to admit that the real reason is because they think "I'm alright Jack".
I would never claim that Ross is easy to follow or that he doesn't wiggle in and out of the twilight zone at times, but, in this instance anyway, you may have picked him up wrong. You probably  didn't read what had been under discussion when you hit on his post that you objected to.
He may put up insulting posts about northerners but then  I don't read everything he posts.
Sam had mentioned that southerners, by and large, seem to have an antagonistic view of northern nationalists and Ross chipped in to say that derogatory terms like 'Free Staters' is one reason.
That's where what I said about Bundoran comes in....
If a very small minority keep on jibing us, most will get irritated and will be inclined to regard all nationalists as provocative and insulting for no other obvious reason.
btw, I don't imagine anyone in the south would feel deeply insulted by what the likes of Angeo comes out with. it's more irritation than anything else. Like a housefly buzzing about the room.
I was following the thread. I'll be honest, that reads a bit like your pushing the blame onto those pesky northerners again for why some Southern people have a antagonistic approach to people from the North. I've no doubt there will be a small minority that may use the term freestater" (I've never heard it used in 40 odd years) but it's also true that that theres people in the south that see themselves as more Irish than people in the North and just have that bred into them. And as such are antagonistic without cause or provocation.
Maybe that's not how you meant it to come across, but if you read the last few pages there's a definite theme of trying to equate the blame to the nordies for how people in the South act.
I think many northerners fail to realise that people south of the border have nowhere the same focus on politics or indeed any other issue that means so much to you.
For most, there's just a failure to comprehend the effect of living as second class citizens in Ireland - anywhere on the island.
So Arlene and the DUP nitpicking over the provisions of the Irish language legislation comes across as petty political but so does the typical SF response. I'd say that at least 95% of folks down here can't comprehend how much official recognition of the language means to most northerners.
That's just one of a series of examples I can think of. People down here have no idea of what life must have been like during the times of sectarian conflict. It ain't really that they are indifferent or hostile -it's that they don't comprehend.
I really don't want to labour the point as it's not really worth it. I just see that, as trying to justify some of the actions of the minority in the south in how they behave to people from the North. Sometimes there's no justification. Just the same as there's no justification for Anglo or others using "free state" in an antagonistic manner.  But it happens as there's idiots everywhere and tbh I don't pass that much remarks on them. Which is why I think it's crazy that there's people on this board who would value these people enough that their remarks actually impact their thought process. But people like RossFan would like to try and use the Anglos of the world to justify their very obvious distain for NI. I've no time for that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

My obvious disdain for NI......
No doubt you'll be vigorously celebrating the Centenary :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silver hill

Quote from: Angelo on March 31, 2021, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on March 31, 2021, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 31, 2021, 06:08:42 PM
We all do "down here".
For the record the Irish Free State passed away 31/12/1937.

I was in an Irish Centre in England some years ago (2014 maybe) to watch a Tyrone/Mayowestros game.
A crowd early 20s bucks from the North came to watch it and it was non stop "Free State bastards" throughout the game, which they thought was hilarious.
Must have been all Angela's relations  ;D

I'm not saying they're representative but jases they were most annoying.

Easy explanation there Rossfan; Tyrone. Nothing more to be said.

The Derry obsession with Tyrone.

A bit like how unionists model themselves as Super Brits on how much they hate catholics. The Derry lads now try to compete as to who can hate Tyrone the most.

A pitiful culture that has brought them to Div 4 in football. Playing in empty stadiums during Covid must feel like nothing has changed for Derry.

;D Hardly an obsession. Simply pointing out the obvious and yet another anecdote about 'fans' from that county behaving in a loutish manner. No real surprise. Will you even admit that there is an underlying problem with Tyrone supporters at games? Take the blinkers off please.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2021, 06:25:20 PM
My obvious disdain for NI......
No doubt you'll be vigorously celebrating the Centenary :o
NI, the north, whatever you want to call it.

Telling that's the bit you focused on.

Rossfan

Ah go out for a walk or take a laxative.
Talk about conforming to another 6 Co stereotype.... the humour by pass
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2021, 06:46:39 PM
The funniest thing about that post is that you think your was humorous.

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 01, 2021, 06:50:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 01, 2021, 06:46:39 PM
The funniest thing about that post is that you think your was humorous.

Rossfans fancies himself as a bit of a comedian but I don't see anyone else laughing.

A deluded individual.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

screenexile

Jamie Bryson giving Brolly a big up on Twitter... he's made it!

Jim Bob

Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2021, 11:31:47 AM
Jamie Bryson giving Brolly a big up on Twitter... he's made it!

And the two of them arranging a meet up for a chat and a beer. Joe telling Jamie he will follow him on Twitter. Hasn't got round to pressing 'follow' though ....... Joe winding ???

yellowcard

I'm presuming this relates to his recent appearance on the Claire Byrne show. Yes he was interrupted abruptly but this is extremely petty from Joe imo. Where exactly do you draw the line when it comes to these matters, he has gone down in my estimation for going down this route. 

I'm not a big fan of the litigation and insurance claims culture that pervades much of Irish society. 

caprea

A rampant egotist

From the Bunker

Hopefully this a long drawn out process. Both Brolly and RTE deserve to be enemies of each other. It's a hatred made in heaven!

Wildweasel74

Down south, u got the blinkers on to who the DUP really are. Everything Brolly was saying was correct.