Laochra Gael TG4 (New Series)

Started by an pĂșca, April 14, 2010, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I remember going to the Tyrone matches in 95 and to be honest my main memory of around 95 and 96 was that it was like a battle between Canavan and Tohill.  Tohill was the best midfielder I have seen, always liked him even though he played for the enemy. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

theticklemister

I use to always laugh when these two use to come up against one another in mf............

V 

Pity they had this boy up front though.................

All of a Sludden

Quote from: theticklemister on February 22, 2013, 03:27:16 PM
I use to always laugh when these two use to come up against one another in mf............

V 

Tyrone didn't win anything of note until after Tohill retired. Coincidence?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

spuds

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 22, 2013, 03:56:03 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on February 22, 2013, 03:27:16 PM

V 

Tyrone didn't win anything of note until after Tohill retired. Coincidence?
Or until Canavan was subbed
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

theticklemister

leaveherinsir

Open to correction here but iirc Derry C'ship semi final in 93 Tohill scored 11 pts when Swatragh beat Dungiven 12 - 11, He was some player in his pomp. Ironically tho i also thought the only player i ever saw get the better of him was Cormac McAnnalen. Although he was prob in the latter stages of his career then.

theticklemister

Quote from: leaveherinsir on February 22, 2013, 08:40:32 PM
Open to correction here but iirc Derry C'ship semi final in 93 Tohill scored 11 pts when Swatragh beat Dungiven 12 - 11, He was some player in his pomp. Ironically tho i also thought the only player i ever saw get the better of him was Cormac McAnnalen. Although he was prob in the latter stages of his career then.

I don't have my records in front of me as i'm living in england these days; but i'm sure someone can answer this from derry. I can't mind McAnallen getting the better of him but your probably correct.

Tohill was the best footballer ever I saw. A mountain of a man who had the deft touch of a forward. He came on the scene when I started to follow football as a wain, but still no footballer has bettered him since even though when yer that young you think there will be loads of great footballers in years ahead. 

AZOffaly

Offaly's James Grennan handled him in the Div 1 League Final in 1998. After the Leinster in 1997, we thought it was the dawn of a new era. Unfortunately it wasn't.

rrhf

Tohill was roasted by Jody Gormley in 1995 and 1996.  He was the finest midfielder up to that and after those games in Ireland but Gormley had an indian sign.  I also felt he was better than O Se but being from Derry didnt get the same chances to show it.   

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: leaveherinsir on February 22, 2013, 08:40:32 PM

It was the quarter-final and he scored 0-11 out of 0-14 (Surs got 1-10); he played full-forward that day. We beat the Watties in the semi-final; he got 1-7 out of 1-11. He got 2-8 out of 2-9 against Bellaghy in the league the same year.

imtommygunn

Tohill, mcdermott and o'se are the best 3 midfielders, by a long way, i've ever seen.

He didn't dominate those games where gormley marked him - very different from getting a roasting.

Should have had more than one all ireland. You wonder what might have been had he not went of injured half time 92 against donegal.

ONeill

Tohill's the best midfielder in my time. And that includes Harry McClure.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2013, 11:12:38 PM
Tohill, mcdermott and o'se are the best 3 midfielders, by a long way, i've ever seen.

He didn't dominate those games where gormley marked him - very different from getting a roasting.
Should have had more than one all ireland. You wonder what might have been had he not went of injured half time 92
against donegal.
Yes I suppose we big up Gormley the "animal from Trillick" since those games.  I dont think Derry will ever recover from that era of underachievement.  They had some of the best backs to play the game and midfielders, now when it came to attack they lacked a little, but whilst they did t have the football in them of a Tyrone team say 2003 - 2008 they had enough to win a second all ireland.  The county didnt support them and by that I mean everybody pulled away after the win and bitched and rowed like no county has done till Cork hurlers over the last few years -  the county board, the backroom management, the hatred between top clubs, the won't plays, even the wags and the supporters pulled out as well.  It was sad for Derry football but then we must remember that when Tyrone played Dublin in 95 there were rumours of pubs in Derry bedecked in Dublin colours, in a sad way they didnt return the support that they picked up in 93 as they won their sam.  The net result was a county that had been respected by all becoming disliked by even themselves and for the last 10 years (as I heard one pub commentator liken to a plop in a pond) has just done nothing but bob around without ever really threatening to sink, break up or wash downstream but indeed never really looking like rising to the surface either.  Hopefully the next 10 will change all that for Derry football - they need to count for the craic.   

Club Rossa

The legend that is Jody Gormley.He played very well on Tohill in both 95 and 96 and popped up with the winning point in the famous 95 game.

Tohill was a fantastic footballer,he had all the skills.Strong as a horse,great fielder of a ball and an excellent free taker.One All Ireland senior title was scant reward for such a player though I would rather he had none ;)

Wildweasel74

Gormley didn't roast him but played him like a defender not a midfielder, outside of marking Tohill what else did he do that day that a midfielder normally does? Its like marking O`Se reducing his impact without really doing anything for yourself