Overcarrying

Started by Cavan19, January 07, 2022, 09:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on March 06, 2023, 04:30:50 PM
Refs take this approach to steps... if it looks wrong it is wrong. Them blowing overcarrying has nothing to do with how many steps the player takes. Ask them after they blow the whistle how many does the player take and they couldn't tell you.

Over 4 steps I tell them if they ask, you blow for over carrying there's usually no complaints, but be rest assured when the other team has a player carrying it for 3 steps they'll be bleating in your ear the whole game!!

Maybe the ref's just blow the real obvious ones so they ain't being tortured the whole game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

highorlow

Maybe in time we will have smart socks that measure the steps and message the ref automatically to his ear piece
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 04:34:00 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 06, 2023, 04:30:50 PM
Refs take this approach to steps... if it looks wrong it is wrong. Them blowing overcarrying has nothing to do with how many steps the player takes. Ask them after they blow the whistle how many does the player take and they couldn't tell you.

Over 4 steps I tell them if they ask, you blow for over carrying there's usually no complaints, but be rest assured when the other team has a player carrying it for 3 steps they'll be bleating in your ear the whole game!!

Maybe the ref's just blow the real obvious ones so they ain't being tortured the whole game

Yes!

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 06, 2023, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 06, 2023, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: Rudi on March 06, 2023, 01:17:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDpW80WUk4

Sean O Sheas goal, about 8 steps, but Conor Meyler takes the biscuit from 1.22 , about 12 or 13

Meyler seemed to take about 8 steps in that bit no? He lays it off to Harte who hits the top of the post. The scoreboard rolls over to 2 points. Then the ref overruled the umpires and the score is disallowed. Has there been any clarification on why that was disallowed?
Ball must go between the post, hitting the top is same as when ball goes over the post, a wide.
Thanks. Surely it depends on exactly how it happens. The one yesterday for example, as it bounces back between the posts, it should be counted as a point. The whole ball has to be over the line for it to be out of play. So the instant the ball does go out of play it is in fact between the posts.

Stall the Bailer

I presume when it hits the top of the post it is out of play. Even it bounce back onto the field or between the post. Only my thoughts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 06, 2023, 05:23:22 PM
I presume when it hits the top of the post it is out of play. Even it bounce back onto the field or between the post. Only my thoughts.

If it's over the post it's wide, unless you make the posts longer but that rule has never changed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

phpearse

Kerry player bounces the ball twice before passing to Clifford for his first point from play. Very hard for refs to spot these things in real time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: phpearse on March 06, 2023, 07:22:06 PM
Kerry player bounces the ball twice before passing to Clifford for his first point from play. Very hard for refs to spot these things in real time.

I'd say it would happen at least twice in a game but rarely caught

Eamonnca1

I've seen coaches on the sideline roaring at a ref for "two hops" but after viewing the footage it showed the player did a toe-tap that somehow looked like a bounce. Maybe her foot was very low to the ground at the time of contact, or something.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 06, 2023, 07:49:07 PM
I've seen coaches on the sideline roaring at a ref for "two hops" but after viewing the footage it showed the player did a toe-tap that somehow looked like a bounce. Maybe her foot was very low to the ground at the time of contact, or something.

There would be sometimes in a match that the player hasn't 'control' of the ball and you'd hear a cry for "two bounces" when actually he's trying to gain control and looks like two bounces

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 07:47:10 PM

I'd say it would happen at least twice in a game but rarely caught

Spectators do not realise that reffing a game takes a huge amount of concentration. It can be hard to spot steps, two bounces, jersey tugs, Marks, square balls. Decisions have to be made on the spur of the moment. Most Refs want to let the game flow. They don't want to be giving frees every minute.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Kerry player bounces the ball twice before passing to Clifford for his first only point from play. Very hard for refs to spot these things in real time.

Fixed that for you!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Wildweasel74

Players are going that fast these days u need about 6steps in the rule book.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 06, 2023, 07:49:07 PM

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKZ5lvDOwVU&t=408s

From the coach viewpoint the curve of the field probably hid the player's foot and it looked like a bounce. Either way, it's amazing how people on the sideline see what they want to see and are convinced the ref missed something.