Crumlin Integrated College, Co Antrim

Started by Orior, September 03, 2012, 01:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Whilst the death threat to the headmistress was clearly wrong, the story ignores the elephant in the room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19435151

Why has the Education Board let this woman back into the school? She is obviously unfit for the job, the teachers and parents have no respect for her and the school is probably dying as parents wont be choosing that school for their children.

- Is it just incredible arrogance from Dr Scott?
- Is the Education Board deliberately trying to destroy the school?
- Is there no way that the Board of Governers can actually sack Dr Scott?

Yours etc
Orior
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on September 03, 2012, 01:20:32 PM
Whilst the death threat to the headmistress was clearly wrong, the story ignores the elephant in the room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19435151

Why has the Education Board let this woman back into the school? She is obviously unfit for the job, the teachers and parents have no respect for her and the school is probably dying as parents wont be choosing that school for their children.

- Is it just incredible arrogance from Dr Scott?
- Is the Education Board deliberately trying to destroy the school?
- Is there no way that the Board of Governers can actually sack Dr Scott?

Yours etc
Orior

What other industry would you be allowed back to your previous role after being out for 2 years receiving 'intensive training programme to address the performance issues highlighted by the inspection"?'

how has the effectiveness of this training been evaluated I wonder?

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Would the teachers "performance" not have led to the poor inspection, obviously the principal will take the rap ultimately.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

Quote from: Minder on September 03, 2012, 06:19:59 PM
Would the teachers "performance" not have led to the poor inspection, obviously the principal will take the rap ultimately.

Perhaps.

But sending the principal on a two year course is a bit of a clue to where they throught the problem lay.

Tony Baloney

Orior

Eamonnca1

Orior

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 03, 2012, 07:13:31 PM
She is a victim too.

Yeah she is, but most other victims of poor performance get handed a P45 and directions to the dole office.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2012, 09:11:53 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 03, 2012, 07:13:31 PM
She is a victim too.

Yeah she is, but most other victims of poor performance get handed a P45 and directions to the dole office.
Jeez I was only joking lads! My feelings on the public sector are well documented on here.

Forever Green

michaelg

Quote from: theskull1 on September 03, 2012, 06:08:27 PM
No other industry.
Not sure industry is the correct term - Although results and target grades are now very closely scrutinised, as a former teacher I always found it a little unfair that I was wholly accountable for the results of some young people who were really not that bothered - This is not quite the same as other 'industries' where sales and production targets are more within your control

johnneycool

Quote from: michaelg on September 04, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
No other industry.
Not sure industry is the correct term - Although results and target grades are now very closely scrutinised, as a former teacher I always found it a little unfair that I was wholly accountable for the results of some young people who were really not that bothered - This is not quite the same as other 'industries' where sales and production targets are more within your control

It was me who started using the term industry. Possibly profession would have suited better or even vocation as some of my teacher friends would have me believe, but I'm not buying it.

I'm in agreement with you to an extent as to setting targets for a teacher will have a direct correlation to the raw material they have to work with and that's not easy to quantify.
At the same time there has been a culture that if you get into the right school you've a job for life irrespective of what you do or don't do and that has to change as its unfair on children to have to be taught by a teacher who doesn't give a toss or even is just rank bad at teaching.

The good and dedicated teachers know themselves these characters exist and bring down the good name of the profession.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: michaelg on September 04, 2012, 03:05:55 PM
No other industry.

I agree with you in many respects, however that line of argument does not appear to be valid in this case. The ETI report lists ' the willingness of the pupils to engage in learning, when given the opportunity' as one of the school's strengths. Dr Scott's suspension was made on the basis  "unsatisfactory leadership and management" at the school and "serious shortcomings in the quality of pastoral care'.

;
Careful now