European Super League

Started by seafoid, April 18, 2021, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sportacus on April 19, 2021, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 19, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on April 19, 2021, 03:14:43 PM
No relegation so the whole thing is de-risked for the billionaires.  This isn't going away.  A billionaire could role into Dublin and launch a team for the ESL - strangers things could happen in the future.

I think Rome, Berlin, Moscow, Istanbul, New York, Beijing, Tokyo, Rio, Buenos Aries would be higher on the list. Even Glasgow.
70 min Irish diaspora is a pretty decent tv market.  Strangers things have happened.

And a ready to go Aviva Stadium in waiting! I'm sure even the GAA would hire out an empty Croker for the empty months of October to May!

larryin89

How about the players make a stand ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

laoislad

Klopp not happy at all going by that interview
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

larryin89

How can any football person be happy with this , it's just completely soulless,  its horrible.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ONeill

I understand the anger of fans of this sport, but they're not being realistic if they think this greed is now a big thing.

These clubs stopped caring about the working class fans a couple of decades ago. The players and bosses earn more in a week than many supporters will in 10-20 years. Ticket prices, merchandise moving to stadiums named after sponsors ....fans will keep buying it and make the rich richer. Instead of being 2 light-years away in terms of a connection with the fans, they'll now be 4 light-years away.

I stopped really caring about the sides I liked a long time ago for those reasons and couldn't care less about this news.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thebigfella

PSG finally get that champions league win and poch will win a trophy.

Milltown Row2

Had to laugh at Richards from City on 5 Live tonight, he's gutted and raging that his club from humble beginnings are entering this ESL!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Quote from: larryin89 on April 19, 2021, 07:43:09 PM
How can any football person be happy with this , it's just completely soulless,  its horrible.

I'm less annoyed today than I was the day 16 years ago my club was signed into £570m of debt. Almost all of which is still owed despite £1.5 billion been stripped from the club to service the debt.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 19, 2021, 06:58:39 PM
No relegation so the whole thing is de-risked for the billionaires.  This isn't going away.  A billionaire could role into Dublin and launch a team for the ESL - strangers things could happen in the future.

I think Rome, Berlin, Moscow, Istanbul, New York, Beijing, Tokyo, Rio, Buenos Aries would be higher on the list. Even Glasgow.
70 min Irish diaspora is a pretty decent tv market.  Strangers things have happened.

And a ready to go Aviva Stadium in waiting! I'm sure even the GAA would hire out an empty Croker for the empty months of October to May!

The FAI didn't allow the Dublin Dons in the 90's. There is less chance now and the pressure UEFA would put them under if they got use of the FAI's hall.

I cannot see the GAA letting this in. If they see grassroots and LoI football as a threat, imagine how this wpuld be percieved

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: lenny on April 19, 2021, 05:03:03 PM

I think that's where it's headed. LA Galaxy, NY red bulls,  some of the big Chinese sides, Saudi Arabia, Dubai. Clubs with no history but lots of cash will be "invited" to join to create a global tv audience which is where  the big momey comes in. Obscene idea with no sporting integrity but business people couldn't care less as long as they have mugs spending all their money for merchandise and the opportunity to watch on tv. I'll not be spending a penny on this so called glamour "product". The time england moved to the premier league was the first time I heard soccer being referred to as a product and that was the start of the slippery slope. Soccer fans are being taken for mugs.

As soon as I posted it struck me I was missing the arab markets.

To be fair, I haven't heard one soccer fan cheer for this, but this is directed at the consumers, not the fans

Silver hill

The soul is long gone out of English soccer. Late 80s probably the end of real supporters from the immediate catchment area of the various grounds.
Used to care then you wise up or grow up and realise the nonsense of any affiliation to a team that you really have no physical connection with.
I do get a chuckle from adult men running around in replica jerseys talking about 'we' when referring to   Spurs, Utd, city, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 19, 2021, 07:55:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 19, 2021, 06:58:39 PM

The FAI didn't allow the Dublin Dons in the 90's. There is less chance now and the pressure UEFA would put them under if they got use of the FAI's hall.

I cannot see the GAA letting this in. If they see grassroots and LoI football as a threat, imagine how this wpuld be percieved

I think the stadium issue will mean  Dublin is a non runner for an ESL franchise. The aviva will not be allowed by the loacal residents, Dublin City Council etc to play an extra 20 games a year in the stadium. Croke Park being the GAA and an extra 20 games a year on top of what is already there will not be tolerated by the residents and Dublin City Council

Hound

There's enough reason to be anti Super League without going into the realms of fantasy/nonsense.

There is absolutely no chance that any of the 12 would move from Liverpool, Manchester, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan or Turin to Dublin or anywhere else!

Captain Obvious

More journalists are saying Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester City will be thrown out of this seasons Champions league. Will the cup be given to PSG if that happens. Won't make much sense as PSG will eventually join a Super League.