Player Opt outs for 2020 season

Started by rodney trotter, November 15, 2019, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

I see a few players have opted out of County football for 2020.

Gary Brennan - Clare
Jamie Malone  also of Clare
Kieran Martin Westmeath
Michael Quinlivan Tipperary
Ben Mccormack Kildare
Dara Mcveety Cavan
Conor McAliskey - Tyrone

Many others?

imtommygunn

twohands!!!

Rossfan

Darren O'Malley
Colm Lavin
Colin Compton
Fintan Cregg possibly retiring.
May be 1 or 2 others.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Danny Cummins (Galway) - Going travelling

From the Bunker

There will be more retirements, opting out and not accepting a call to inter-county panels.
There are quite a few counties in Intercounty Limbo.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 17, 2019, 08:00:15 PM
There will be more retirements, opting out and not accepting a call to inter-county panels.

I fear players opting out will significantly increase for counties that will be partaking in Tommy Murphy cup mark 2 next summer.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 17, 2019, 08:17:27 PM

I fear players opting out will significantly increase for counties that will be partaking in Tommy Murphy cup mark 2 next summer.

I'd think the opposite - the odds of teams getting two bad hammerings in the championship are reduced, there is a chance of more games against teams of similar ability and a chance to win something.
Why do you think the number of players opting out will increase ?

rodney trotter

And they have a chance of playing on TV and in Croke Park.
A Leitrim or Wicklow had no chance of being live on TV, unless they reached a Provincial final.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 17, 2019, 08:23:13 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on November 17, 2019, 08:17:27 PM

I'd think the opposite - the odds of teams getting two bad hammerings in the championship are reduced, there is a chance of more games against teams of similar ability and a chance to win something.
Why do you think the number of players opting out will increase ?

Focus their efforts more with clubs or head overseas. The league is already the competition in place for the "lesser" teams of similar ability to play each other and win or gain promotion.

I think something more intriguing needs to be place for the summer to make these long winter nights of training a little bit shorter.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

The League for all its good points is a preseason competition all over by the 13th weekend of the year.
Football teams both club and county should play the bulk of their games between 1 April and 30 September.
Even if the magic wand could be found to make that happen you'd still have bucks opting out as we are talking Amateur sport.

MayoBuck

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 17, 2019, 08:34:47 PM
And they have a chance of playing on TV and in Croke Park.
A Leitrim or Wicklow had no chance of being live on TV, unless they reached a Provincial final.

Will they be on TV? The rights deal with RTE and Sky hasn't been renegotiated so some tier one games will have to be dropped from t.v. to show tier two games.

rodney trotter

It was said the Semi finals and Final would be on TV,tbc Its an incentive for Counties to reach a Semi Final. Wicklow and Leitrim proposed the idea of second tier, so it was probaly that Counties would get some TV coverage too.

Because they weren't aiming for much  coverage in the Qualifiers.

Rossfan

Some of them got 45 seconds highlights ::)

seafoid

But the championship is so open. Anyone could win it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU