Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Not normally one gor the Marvel comic movies but Deadpool was fantastic, very funny.

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on December 30, 2016, 03:23:34 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 30, 2016, 01:58:04 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 30, 2016, 01:37:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:39:30 PM
Thanks. Always wondered about the accuracy of Enemy at the Gates. Stunning to look at though, I enjoyed it as a film.
What do you make of foreign based films where the actors play the role in their own language and accents?
was the enemy at the gates one were all the german and russian soldiers spoke with an american accent, bar jude law who spoke with an english accent???.   I thought that was a bit weird,  but logically why would they be speaking english in a russian accent i suppose :)

Shit accents bother me more. Enemy at the gates is not a patch on Sean Connerys pure Scottish accent in the hunt for red October which is oft ridiculed.

As I said a shite attempt at a Russian/German accent would be worse, my favourite example of actors speaking however the f**k they want is in the grand Budapest hotel where there's this typical range of British and yank accents and then out of f**king nowhere there's this bogger Carlow accent thrown in. Rises a smile everytime I hear it. It's such a pleasure when your used to that shitty mid Atlantic accent beloved of Hollywood.
or Alexander the Great with Offaly accents ;D
a Cork actor playing a rogue from Belfast is not going to be able to satisfy exacting accent requirements, is he?
Accents aren't an issue for me in Enemy at the Gates, didn't bother me, though Bob Hoskins in yet another soviet general role might.
It's a work of fiction and  what lets it down is the poor quality CGI, also regular such scenes of typecast Soviet cannon fodder army recruits being brainwashed by bad propaganda amplified by loudspeakers, to commit suicidal onslaught after onslaught against the germans and then  there was the very soppy love story thrown into the mix, 
otherwise a very good entertaining and engaging film ;D

Eamonnca1

Thanks. Always wondered about the accuracy of Enemy at the Gates. Stunning to look at though, I enjoyed it as a film.
What do you make of foreign based films where the actors play the role in their own language and accents?
Depends how it's done. Didn't the speak with English accents in Enemy at the Gates? I thought it worked well.

Paths to Glory was a bit confusing for me since we were supposed to be looking at a French regiment. The soldiers had English accents except for Kirk Douglas who kept his American accent. For authenticity I don't mind reading subtitles. Hence Das Boot is a favourite of mine (for a lot of reasons, like the keeping the cast encased in an actual sub and filming as their beards grew longer and skin grew paler).

The Irish accents in Alexander threw me off, big time. Casting Colin Farrell and Angelia Jolie as mother and son was bizarre and not a little creepy. The constant hopping around between three timelines was annoying. The battle scenes were unintelligible. God it was an awful film!

Eamonnca1

The battle over Scarriff is one of the best space battles I've seen in a space movie. And I like how the new Star Wars films are getting better at obeying the laws of physics than the old ones. A lot more action is taking place in planetary atmospheres, so the ships fly like planes when they should fly like planes. In space they fly like spaceships. The Hammerhead Corvette scene was a stroke of cinematic genius, and you see the tactical prowess of the Mon Calamari in action.

One reviewer on youtube made a good point. In the old days you'd see a ship getting hit and then just blowing up. Now we get to see a ship being torn apart in far better detail, so you have a better sense of the scale of these giant ships. The Star Destroyers in the new films look bigger and more imposing than they did in the old ones. And the Death Star also looks far bigger. Previously you only saw it up close or far away depending on what models they made. Now you get to see it from all angles and in all positions, and they've made it look even more threatening.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 30, 2016, 05:21:52 PM
Depends how it's done. Didn't the speak with English accents in Enemy at the Gates? I thought it worked well.

Paths to Glory was a bit confusing for me since we were supposed to be looking at a French regiment. The soldiers had English accents except for Kirk Douglas who kept his American accent. For authenticity I don't mind reading subtitles. Hence Das Boot is a favourite of mine (for a lot of reasons, like the keeping the cast encased in an actual sub and filming as their beards grew longer and skin grew paler).

The Irish accents in Alexander threw me off, big time. Casting Colin Farrell and Angelia Jolie as mother and son was bizarre and not a little creepy. The constant hopping around between three timelines was annoying. The battle scenes were unintelligible. God it was an awful film!

Haven't watched it and doubt I will, same can be said for 'new' biblical/ancient films, as for me they not a patch on the classics, though I thought Gladiator was a cracking film....

As for the accents i much prefer they speak in their own tongue with subtitles, great World War Two film had Germans talking German Americans had their accents and English theirs! Das Boot is great because of its authenticity
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Main Street, you say it's a work of fiction but surely even in a work of fiction the director should make the film as realistic as possible. Characters speaking the language of the country they're from seems like a pretty basic requirement.

Eamonn, why do you think Russians/Germans speaking in English/American accents works well?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film at the time and I quickly accept that the director has taken the decision that he's taken, but from an artistic point of view it seems like a massive shortcut to take.

mrdeeds

Quick question that has probably being asked before but I've a young child and want to watch the Star Wars movies with him. What order do I do it in? The order they came out or sequence?

Tony Baloney

People have said the order they came out in. They're wrong - the storyline is confusing enough, so chronological order (of the story) would be best.

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 30, 2016, 05:55:50 PM
Main Street, you say it's a work of fiction but surely even in a work of fiction the director should make the film as realistic as possible. Characters speaking the language of the country they're from seems like a pretty basic requirement.
Enemy at the Gates  had mainly Russian and  German characters and you expect as a minimum that the actors speak the language of the country their characters are from  ???

Even when speaking the correct language of the character, did we not have a Michael Collins played by an actor with a strong Dublin accent, Brendan Gleeson? Just because someone from outer Hicksville might be fooled by the main irish character being played by an actor having an irish accent, doesn't fool me. If  authenticity of accent/language mattered so much to you, you would not be able to appreciate many films.
Not many actors have the linguistic authenticity of a Niall Toibin.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2016, 07:37:43 PM
Enemy at the Gates  had mainly Russian and  German characters and you expect as a minimum that the actors speak the language of the country their characters are from  ???

Even when speaking the correct language of the character, did we not have a Michael Collins played by an actor with a strong Dublin accent, Brendan Gleeson? Just because someone from outer Hicksville might be fooled by the main irish character being played by an actor having an irish accent, doesn't fool me. If  authenticity of accent/language mattered so much to you, you would not be able to appreciate many films.

No.

Eamonnca1

Eamonn, why do you think Russians/Germans speaking in English/American accents works well?

I don't like them speaking with American accents, but an English accent works well enough for me. At least they got the right side of the world. Next step up from that is speaking English with a German/Russian accent, but best of all is in the native tongue with subtitles.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 30, 2016, 06:05:01 PM
Quick question that has probably being asked before but I've a young child and want to watch the Star Wars movies with him. What order do I do it in? The order they came out or sequence?

Doesn't really matter as long as you skip the prequels. They're worthless and I hope they get removed from canon and re-done.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on December 30, 2016, 07:49:04 PM
No.

If Liam Neeson had played Michael Collins in his native Ballymena accent, that'd have been hilarious.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2016, 07:37:43 PM

Not sure what the emoji is about. Cast Russian and German actors is what I meant.

And I clearly said it doesn't bother me that much. I'm just surprised that it's done.

I think enough has been said about your Michael Collins comment  :-X

Linkbox

Sing Street. Good enough. Bonus points for the music. Lost the run of itself with the ending.

Eye in the sky. Very good thriller. Last one from the brilliant Alan Rickman.