Sports Funding in NI

Started by Evil Genius, August 16, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Estimator on March 25, 2021, 12:40:34 PM
Tommy Whiteside (Crusaders Chairman?) had Nolan in knots this morning. Did his research on the monies dished out to sporting bodies in the Republic, Scotland, Wales and England... explained why Crusaders needed their money.. Nolan tried to get him onside but couldn't. Every time Nolan tried to bring in another area, Tommy repeated "You're not comparing apples with apples" numerous times. Nolan resorted too the grants given out to taxi drivers etc, Tommy accused him of playing to the crowds, Nolan then tried to get him to comment on the awards to golf clubs. And he kept replaying the comments from Hargey to Joel Taggart last night, as if it was some sort of magic bullet... I'd say he was glad to get Geoffrey on to talk about flegs.

The Crusaders chairman was excellent. And you're right, Nolan continuously pushing him re what Royal Down golf club got, what has that to do with Crusaders FC?

the goal was on

Some of claimants are legit but it's obvious some are not . Regardless of Nolan , it's more incompetence at the top but yet no one seems to be held to account . We really are run by a crowd of amateurs

Godsown

Quote from: the goal was on on March 25, 2021, 02:39:47 PM
Some of claimants are legit but it's obvious some are not . Regardless of Nolan , it's more incompetence at the top but yet no one seems to be held to account . We really are run by a crowd of amateurs

What evidence do you have to say some are not legit? All had to submit certified accounts.

the goal was on

Ok so claimants had to be in imminent danger of closure as per the guidance signed off. So all those sports clubs would have folded.
The programme the way it has been laid out , if you had an event before covid eg fun run and raised £5000 the grant paid you out for that as you were able to claim it was a loss due to covid. Hardly a wise way to spend money. A lot of the clubs that had done fundraising year before covid are the ones that were able to claim the highest amounts. 

Will it ever end

This a complete can of worms as clubs who claimed continued to run club lottos / collected memberships / ran fundraising draws.

Surely the single biggest expense for a senior club is the management - some clubs receiving in excess of £100k is scandalous - given insurances were credited / competition fees reduced.

The fund is audited & will come under intense scrutiny now to demonstrate what has been claimed to be spent on is actually spent on - otherwise the money will have to be returned.

thewobbler

I'd a good long look at this process when it was released and I couldn't find an angle to legitimately meet the criteria.

In retrospect I probably should have hammered in for loss of earnings (lotto 3 months, social club bar 6 months, and a cancelled golf classic), but the reduction in league fees and senior football costs, plus the removal of rates means our outgoings fell dramatically too. It's definitely not been a year of financial hardship.

I'm expecting that the clubs who did best out of this are servicing hefty loans, which were procured on the basis of a range of income from match days, lotto, bars and fundraisers. In that case, fair dues.

delgany

SportNI SSF quote -  Some (claims )will be checked before payments are made and some afterwards. We will seek evidence to confirm that the award has been distributed as intended and the accounts info provided is verified by the accounts.

Going to be very very busy ...now

Will it ever end

Quote from: thewobbler on March 25, 2021, 09:36:49 PM
I'd a good long look at this process when it was released and I couldn't find an angle to legitimately meet the criteria.

In retrospect I probably should have hammered in for loss of earnings (lotto 3 months, social club bar 6 months, and a cancelled golf classic), but the reduction in league fees and senior football costs, plus the removal of rates means our outgoings fell dramatically too. It's definitely not been a year of financial hardship.

I'm expecting that the clubs who did best out of this are servicing hefty loans, which were procured on the basis of a range of income from match days, lotto, bars and fundraisers. In that case, fair dues.

Annual loan repayments for prior works surely wouldn't be running in excess of £100k in the example of The Rock in Tyrone?

redzone

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 25, 2021, 09:52:52 PM

Annual loan repayments for prior works surely wouldn't be running in excess of £100k in the example of The Rock in Tyrone?
Mind your own business big nose

the goal was on

Payments have been paid out already by all accounts. Some shambles

Kickham csc

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 25, 2021, 08:50:12 PM
This a complete can of worms as clubs who claimed continued to run club lottos / collected memberships / ran fundraising draws.

Surely the single biggest expense for a senior club is the management - some clubs receiving in excess of £100k is scandalous - given insurances were credited / competition fees reduced.

The fund is audited & will come under intense scrutiny now to demonstrate what has been claimed to be spent on is actually spent on - otherwise the money will have to be returned.

If the clubs were honest with applications it won't be a can of worms, and management wont be near the top of the list. Any club with nay major development completed will have loan commitments, insurance commitments, maintenance commitments that still need to be paid.

For example, some clubs run gala dinners to help fund, or major draws, which usually required club volunteers travelling the length of the country to sell tickets, both funding opportunities gone.

Some clubs ran tournaments, those events were lost.

Also looking at GAA funding v IFA and Rugby, GAA on average got £40k per club and Rugby and soccer £80k per club (Soccer money is def skued due to the larger clubs getting 6 digit payments

Will it ever end

Id agree to disagree that management wouldn't be one of the single largest bills for a club.

Maybe I'm missing the point but I felt the funding was to help clubs break even - if The Rock needed £128k to break even then so be it.

RedHand88

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 25, 2021, 09:52:52 PM

The Rock did just construct a state of the art community hub the year before the pandemic. Gym, function room, basketball hall, catering kitchen etc.

Taylor

Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2021, 09:37:14 PM
SportNI SSF quote -  Some (claims )will be checked before payments are made and some afterwards. We will seek evidence to confirm that the award has been distributed as intended and the accounts info provided is verified by the accounts.

Where did you see this delgany?

delgany

Quote from: Taylor on March 26, 2021, 08:24:36 AM
Quote from: delgany on March 25, 2021, 09:37:14 PM

Where did you see this delgany?
http://www.sportni.net/funding/our-funding-programmes/sports-sustainability-fund/sports-sustainability-fund-frequently-asked-questions/