Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Cartel Land on now on BBC4.

gallsman

Ha, what a coincidence. Travelling with work this week so downloaded a few things to watch, this amongst them. Brilliant show.

redzone

What's it about might watch it

gallsman

Boycey

All of those 30 for 30 docs were excellent, Catching Hell was a particular favourite of mine..

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on December 03, 2015, 09:37:22 AM
All of those 30 for 30 docs were excellent, Catching Hell was a particular favourite of mine..

Aye, they're a fantastic series. The ones on Bo Jackson and the SMU Mustangs professionalism scandals were two of my favourites.

muppet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXjUqLMgxM

The 2000 Year-Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism (2012)

Amazing story of a computer built in Ancient Greece. It used gears to accurately predict celestial events, including eclipses, the changing orbit of the moon (this wasn't understood until Keppler and then Newton) and probably the planets, despite the massive handicap of believing that everything revolved around the earth.

It appears our technological advances weren't always in one direction. This knowledge disappeared for a long period, certainly in the 'west'.

MWWSI 2017

Declan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXjUqLMgxM

The 2000 Year-Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera Mechanism (2012)

Amazing story of a computer built in Ancient Greece. It used gears to accurately predict celestial events, including eclipses, the changing orbit of the moon (this wasn't understood until Keppler and then Newton) and probably the planets, despite the massive handicap of believing that everything revolved around the earth.

It appears our technological advances weren't always in one direction. This knowledge disappeared for a long period, certainly in the 'west'.

Great shout Muppet. Fantastic programme

nrico2006

Never watch documentaries as would rather watch a film or tv show, but been bored this week and watched Mr Calzaghe which was decent and watched Back In Time last night which was interesting.  Always wanted to see The Notorious documentary and was lucky to see that it was on last night and tonight so have them set to record.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

annapr

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 10, 2015, 01:09:46 PM
Never watch documentaries as would rather watch a film or tv show, but been bored this week and watched Mr Calzaghe which was decent and watched Back In Time last night which was interesting.  Always wanted to see The Notorious documentary and was lucky to see that it was on last night and tonight so have them set to record.
Do you ever go outside?

nrico2006

Quote from: annapr on December 10, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 10, 2015, 01:09:46 PM
Do you ever go outside?

Not much to do outside from half 9/10 onwards.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Great documentary on Sky Atlantic last night, The Fall, about Zola Budd and Mary Decker... Hard to believe its 32 years ago, I always though Budd was horribly treated she was a very young girl when it happened and had all sorts of venom poured towards her as if she was somehow responsible for apartheid.

Heres the back story if anyones not aware of it. It really was a huge deal back then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/32-years-after-that-olympic-fall-mary-decker-and-zola-budd-make/

JimStynes

Watched a good documentary from America. All or Nothing: A season with the Arizona Cardinals. 8 episodes long and on Amazon Prime. I like those behind the scenes type shows.

muppet

I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos.
MWWSI 2017