The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

45 out of 81 newly promoted teams went straight down
(10 went down the next year).

So this achievement by Leeds is impressive.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 13, 2021, 09:46:57 AM
Absolutely. It's been a great season and we've consolidated our position in the Premier League. The City result was massive. However there's no room for relaxation Rufus there's bound to be work for you round Abbey Park. How's the new building coming along?

Sorry @Dougal Maguire. I overlooked this.

New building is great, thanks, save for one or two teething problems. Unfortunately though we can't use it and we haven't even had an official opening. About 18 months ago we were busy planning for coffee mornings, wine and cheese evenings and building tours!!! 

Rufus T Firefly

With all the talk of Super Leagues, our game against Liverpool has slightly gone under the radar along with quite a decent performance and result.

Obviously a game of two halves - maybe lucky to be just the one down at half time, but - and as I would expect from Bielsa - the team turned things around totally in the second half and were worth at least the draw and maybe unlucky not to win.

Making a comparison with last year, that team that played Liverpool was essentially the Championship winning team minus Ben White but with the addition of Llorente. It says something for Bielsa's management that that team is standing its own in this sort of company. Great team effort and great to see Pablo getting a late run out. I still think he is worth a 10 - 20 minute run at the end of games.

I know the pressure is off this year, but I would so love to win on Sunday!! 

Rufus T Firefly

Not the most exciting of games, but I'll take the point. Good result when one considers the context. The team that started was essentially our Championship team minus Ben White but with the addition of Llorente. They dominated of course but their real chances were few and far between and Meslier did not have a lot to do. That shows how far the team have come on. Big issue around the possible penalty for Leeds for hand ball against Shaw. It would have been harsh, but in the current context they have been given. Best for me were Llorente and Striujk in the centre of the defence, both of whom were excellent and Philips in frot of them. Llorente would have been my man of the match.

Mourne Rover

Leeds are now unbeaten in six, including games against the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea, with only four goals conceded during the run. While Man Utd produced plenty of pressure yesterday, Meslier, as Rufus points out, had only one serious save to make. The improvement in our defence has been striking, and, while Cooper did very little wrong before his suspension, Llorente and Striujk look increasingly like a top class pairing. At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, the outside chance of getting into Europe is still there. It remains unclear how many places are available for English sides, but seven appears to be a possibility. That would mean making up a six point gap on Spurs, who have still to come to Elland Road, during our last five matches. It may not happen but it shows how far Leeds have progressed during a season when many of us would initially have happily settled for 17th place.

Rufus T Firefly

Didn't see the Brighton game as I was working but from listening to bits of it and having a look at the 'highlights' it does appear that it was up there with the worst performances of the season to date.

I normally would take the opportunity to watch the full match, even if we lost, but given a highlights package that showed two Leeds' efforts - shots high / wide from Dallas / Harrison - as the sum of 90+ minutes effort, I decided to give it a miss.

We seemed to be totally outplayed by Brighton, maybe on the basis that they had more to play for (in terms of guaranteeing safety). My guess would be that Bielsa would be very angry at that perceived attitude and some could pay with their place the next day out. 

seafoid

Leeds can't get relegated. The spots are all gone. Even if things go wrong from here on in Leeds can't get relegated.
This must be hard to accept.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2021, 09:56:47 PM
Leeds can't get relegated. The spots are all gone. Even if things go wrong from here on in Leeds can't get relegated.
This must be hard to accept.

;D

You're beginning to think like Leeds now. You're one of us!!   ;)

Great victory at the weekend, albeit Spurs were terrible. There's been a few matches this season where the first five minutes or so appear to give an insight into how much the team are up for that particular match, with last week against Brighton being a case in point. The same happened on Saturday but there appeared to be a determination to right the wrong of Brighton last week. They never appeared to let Spurs settle in possession and there was also an element of a 'cold Tuesday night in Stoke' about the conditions which Spurs did not embrace.

The thing that continues to strike me is how many of these players have become really effective at this level of football when only three years ago they were journeymen, hanging around the Championship mid table. Ayling, Dallas, Alioski, Bamford to name but four. All of the additions are beginning to make an impact. Llorente is improving with each game whilst Koch showed his versatility on Saturday, stepping into the Philips role.

Burnley and Southampton away and West Brom at home so hopefully we can get the points to finish top half!!  :)   

Mourne Rover

Suggestions that Leeds might run out of steam have been well and truly dispelled, as we are finishing the season on a brilliant run of form with a top ten position guaranteed and, depending on other results, eighth still a possibility. It was not a great performance at Southampton, but the level of confidence in the squad eventually produced the win. Roberts has been unlucky not to score in the Premiership but deserved his injury time goal, and the highlight for most Leeds fans would have been Berardi returning a year after his cruciate injury. He was a warrior during many of the bad years in the championship, and, with his contract up as his 33rd birthday approaches, it was great to see him proving he is capable of playing at the top level. Bielsa has done an incredible job and all the indication are that he will extend his contract.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 18, 2021, 09:42:23 PM
Suggestions that Leeds might run out of steam have been well and truly dispelled, as we are finishing the season on a brilliant run of form with a top ten position guaranteed and, depending on other results, eighth still a possibility. It was not a great performance at Southampton, but the level of confidence in the squad eventually produced the win. Roberts has been unlucky not to score in the Premiership but deserved his injury time goal, and the highlight for most Leeds fans would have been Berardi returning a year after his cruciate injury. He was a warrior during many of the bad years in the championship, and, with his contract up as his 33rd birthday approaches, it was great to see him proving he is capable of playing at the top level. Bielsa has done an incredible job and all the indication are that he will extend his contract.

Good post, with the line I have bolded, resonating in particular with me.

It's a long time since I watched a Leeds' match as relaxed as I was the other night. For me, the Southampton game left me with a real feeling that Leeds have definitely arrived at the top level. Bielsa took the option of letting Klick and Koch finish their seasons early, so that they could join up with their national squads with little or no worries about injuries or fitness. Other decisions included giving lads run outs. Casilla started in nets. Cooper was brought back ahead of Striujk and Berardi got a richly deserved run out. And with all of that, the team cantered to a 2-0 win at the home of an established Premier League side.

The only one who appeared to miss out was Pablo, and if this is to be his last season, I'd love to see him get a run against West Brom in front of the fans. 

A great finish to the league and no reason not to look forward to next season with anything but optimism.

seafoid

How much TV money are Leeds entitled to every year in the EPL ?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2021, 10:20:56 AM
How much TV money are Leeds entitled to every year in the EPL ?

I honestly wouldn't have a clue - have heard talk of £170 million a season mentioned. Also heard it said that each final league placing is worth £3 million more than the place below it in terms of prize money. Finance definitely seems to be a major factor given how teams are rebounding between the Premier League and Championship so frequently. 

Denn Forever

Best team in PL to watch, each  game a drama.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rufus T Firefly

Taylor

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 20, 2021, 11:50:33 AM
Best team in PL to watch, each  game a drama.

Now City are a great team to watch but too often teams sit back and invite us on - the possession stats in some games is ridiculous.

But Leeds games are totally different - they just go for it - they work hard and are a joy to watch.

Breath of fresh air for newly promoted teams