Positions on thepark

Started by Denn Forever, May 31, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

I was always curious where the term "40" came from myself. A very simplistic answer is that he used to stand 40 yards our from goal!! (I saw used, in the old days half the forwards didn't spend most of the time out of position)

As for recent 40 yards men, I'd have to say I am a fan of Brogan and John Mc Entee was class in 02/03, but for a proper 40 yards man who can open up a defence and organise the entire forward division it has to be Mc Guigan
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

tone

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 31, 2007, 02:53:53 PM
It is amazing what you think about when you have too much time on you hands.  I have always been interested where the term to "Play on the 40" came from. Is it a particular Cavan/Longford term?  People may line out at centre half forward but it is a special player who is a good "40"man.  It is a lost art now that total football is now the norm.  The person I think of first as a good "40" man is Oige Moran.  Does any one have any ideas?

Greg Blaney was the best "forty man",I ever seen.An absolute play maker ,him and Micky Linden were telepathic.

5 Sams

Anyone watching the two games on TV today would have seen the gulf in class between Ger Canning and Darragh Maloney.
Darragh was commentating on the biggest game of the year so far and did a superb job...your other man was banished to Dungarvan and I hope he stays there.
The Aristocrat Years

tyroneboi

No way Darragh Maloney is as bad as canning in my opinion. Never stopped drooling over every single dublin player - nearly made me sick!!

Denn Forever

Some good ideas but to use a Canningism, my idea of a good "40"man is one who act as the "fulcrum" of the attack.  The ball is played through him, he forages along the half forward line, is available to link with the midfield and the man on the square (who want to be pedantic and correct me and say the small parallelogram is that another Canningsm).  He doesn't necessarily have to be the best scorer but he makes things happen.  The best one I saw playing was Donegalman Eamonn McNiallis for NIHE Dublin (Later DCU) and a Galway man Tom Gerety (DCU) fado fado.  Wonder where they are now?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...