2021 National Football League

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, December 21, 2020, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkyskillssunshinee

Midfield definitely needs a shake up, it's been the same duo for years now. Robert Tyrell from Camross should get an opportunity in there. Not sure if he's in the current squad for not?

blueandwhite1

More big lads with no pace is not going to help this team, we have a tonne of them already. Athletic, fast players needed urgently.

Laois Rising

Lillis and O'Loughlin's strengths lie in their ability on the ball. However, neither of them would be fantastic fielders of the ball around the middle or great to win the 'dirty' ball compared to other intercounty sides. With both of them into their 30s now-pace to keep with the 20 somethings will also be more of an issue for an entire 70minutes. It has been a problem of Laois for last 15 years that we don't have those kind of footballers around the middle (from numbers 5-12) who win the 50/50 or even 40/60 duels when the ball is there to be won. Every good team needs a balance in type of players they have on the field. I think Laois are too lob sided towards an abundance of nice, ball playing half backs and half forwards. 

Jd

Midfield definitely needs a shake up, it's been the same duo for years now. Robert Tyrell from Camross should get an opportunity in there. Not sure if he's in the current squad for not?

Tyrrell is with courtwood now so playing senior club should help him. Young Dunne from out there looked a good prospect too but got injured and i dont know if hes back yet. Is the other Dunne lad from Rosenallis in with the seniors

BallyroanAbu

I fear the worst is yet to come,  constant short-term thinking from the County Board.  Appointing Managers who are interested in only their own career ( who can blame them).  Nearly 15 years of  mis-managed underage system,  it's all our own fault.  Too many of the starting team on the wrong side of 30.  Quirke has introduced nothing, and looks completely out of his depth.  The signs were there last year fluking a victory against Roscommon & Fermanagh.  I really think we could end up in Div 4 again this time with a team that may not get out as quickly. 

Laoiseabu

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 17, 2021, 09:13:03 PM
I fear the worst is yet to come,  constant short-term thinking from the County Board.  Appointing Managers who are interested in only their own career ( who can blame them).  Nearly 15 years of  mis-managed underage system,  it's all our own fault.  Too many of the starting team on the wrong side of 30.  Quirke has introduced nothing, and looks completely out of his depth.  The signs were there last year fluking a victory against Roscommon & Fermanagh.  I really think we could end up in Div 4 again this time with a team that may not get out as quickly.
I was thinking the same myself ballyroan abu. Was it not a draw with an under strength Roscommon? You mentioned dropping back to division 4 which is an interesting point . When we were in division 4 a few years ago the likes of Timmons, Begley, Meaney, Booth , Dillon , Lillis , OLoughlin, Munnelly, Kingston, Walsh , Donoher , Strong , Davy Conway etc were all still just about young enough to pull us back out of division 4 . They were moving on a bit some of them but they still had a bit in the tank age wise . This time if we went to division 4 NONE of those players would be around to pull us out of it nor would they have the legs anymore even if they did stay for another few years . Would we come out of division 4 next time ? I'm not so sure either ballyroan abu . A big rebuild would be needed but I'm not sure we have the answers to a rebuild playerwise at the moment

BallyroanAbu

Your problably right on Roscommon game,  I just remember a last minute goal.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Much of the same as last week really. Not enough pace and athleticism in this team to compete at the top level unfortunately. Hopefully a few more of that U-20 team that reached back to back Leinster finals are introuduced next year.

recyclebin

Two soft goals. Second one resulted from very poor passing from Dillon to Timmons coming out of defence. Lillis looked to be gasping after 10 minutes. I don't think it's fair to expect the older lads to win games for Laois. Many are well into their 30s and have given their all for the Laois jersey over a long period of time but intercounty football is now a young mans game. Quirke needs to be blooding younger players and getting them experience which will be better for Laois in the long run. Division 3 football and a lot of retirements down the spine of the team is inevitable next year unfortunately.

Giovanni

I thought it was better than last week. Thought there was better work rate amongst the forwards. Paul Kingston was much better in that regard today. Thought the midfield was better today too. The goals were soft but I thought the overall performance was better

Pugwash

In Laois over the last decade at least it's been very much a case of "it's harder to get off the county panel, than to get on to it" and a trend that has continued again going into this year.

Are we at the stage now where a championship season is build around looking to finish best of the rest in Leinster after Dublin? Moving up and down between Division 2, Division 3 and Division 4.

When is the lightbulb moment going to come in regards to Laois football, where a complete rebuild takes place? An overhaul of our youth structures right upto the senior intercounty team. The increase in put from the county board in hiring more development officers who are all actually going into every club in the county and seeing what help they need to best prepare their players who are deemed good enough to play for Laois at underage level?

I would happily take a couple of years in the doldrums, strip the whole set up back from top to bottom and rebuild. This is the only way Laois football is going to move forward, starting with the senior team. What is to be gained now playing countless players in the their early to mid 30s?

For what it's worth having a mediocre Laois Senior Championship standard wise is doing the county no favours either. I could count 6 maybe 7 teams maximum who could be deemed senior standard, those sides need more games against eachother regularly with possibly the inclusion of amalgamations making up 3 or 4 sides in a revamped 10 team Senior Championship.

BallyroanAbu

Look Laois Football needs it's senior team to be a relative success,  but what we need to do is set out a strategy for going forward with targets(which are assessed and checked) for going forward.  Mike Hency is in as games administrator and that helps,  but the idea of putting all our eggs in that basket is wrong.  We need to promote coaching in Laois,  figure out why our older lads won't get involved,  educate them when they do and promote when deserving.  For far too long Laois Football is being ran like a club.  These GDA's need to be hired by the clubs regardless of cost and the biggest issue we need to promote GAA among the non-national community in Portlaoise/Laois.  If the County Board had to go in and do this I think that's a gamble worth trying.  It's a very large community and completely untapped.   I genuinely don't believe there has been a major talent problem in Laois for the last 15 years more like poor coaching.  All the teams that qualified for the U17/U20 Leinster Finals were hammered so I am not so sure they are the solution.  We could be decent inside 10 years at Senior with some success at Juvenile if we take the bull by the horns.

I am still extremely sore about Mark Bates and the way he was hired at Minor over Killian Fitzpatrick and Noel Coss this was short-sighted  stupid.   We should never be hiring outside the County for Juvenile teams and only in extreme cases for Senior Teams. 

Brandon

The best player in the county is probably Sean Moore for ballyfin can someone please explain why isn't on the senior team? I've been asking this now for the last 3 years and still nothing. I think maybe he doesn't want to commit.

clonadmad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 23, 2021, 09:04:02 AM
Look Laois Football needs it's senior team to be a relative success,  but what we need to do is set out a strategy for going forward with targets(which are assessed and checked) for going forward.  Mike Hency is in as games administrator and that helps,  but the idea of putting all our eggs in that basket is wrong.  We need to promote coaching in Laois,  figure out why our older lads won't get involved,  educate them when they do and promote when deserving.  For far too long Laois Football is being ran like a club.  These GDA's need to be hired by the clubs regardless of cost and the biggest issue we need to promote GAA among the non-national community in Portlaoise/Laois.  If the County Board had to go in and do this I think that's a gamble worth trying.  It's a very large community and completely untapped.   I genuinely don't believe there has been a major talent problem in Laois for the last 15 years more like poor coaching.  All the teams that qualified for the U17/U20 Leinster Finals were hammered so I am not so sure they are the solution.  We could be decent inside 10 years at Senior with some success at Juvenile if we take the bull by the horns.

I am still extremely sore about Mark Bates and the way he was hired at Minor over Killian Fitzpatrick and Noel Coss this was short-sighted  stupid.   We should never be hiring outside the County for Juvenile teams and only in extreme cases for Senior Teams.

Portlaoise are getting in their own Gpo and Borris and Ballacolla I think are going to share one

Offaly a smaller county in terms of both clubs and population hope to have 12 in place in the next month