Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

To strike or attempt to strike unless it is a mild clip!

Fuzzman

Interesting weekend of sport lads.
Derry really impressive and almost pulled off a shock. Were Donegal poor or do we see chunks on their defence. Derry seem to open them up loads for goal chances and had they taken one they could have won.
Best half time Entertainment I've ever seen as McConville's, McHugh and Harte really have a go at each other. Sidebottom letting them at it. 😂

Anyway, Tyrone came good v Cavan or were they just piss poor? For 25 mins Cavan gave as good as they got and I for one was a tad worried. Again our kickout strategy seemed totally random and I was just waiting for a short one to go wrong like so often before. In fairness Morgan played well but I really hate the way we are still making it so easy for other teams to restart and gain possession so easily. We rarely push up and man mark everyone. Saying that our midfield did well for large parts of the game with Kilpatrick showing well in the first half and Kennedy well in the second. It would be amazing if both could kick on and nail down their places for the future, whether for one more week or the summer.
McCurry was on fire 🔥 and was even winning dirty ball and scoring for fun. Almost Canavanesque at times with dummy bounces and jinxes. 😂
Sludden played well and looks to be getting back to his old self a bit. Donaghy found it tough going and often trying to do too much but it was his USFC debut so we'll cut him some slack.
McGeary, after a good NFL few games he went and undid all his good work with one crazy rugby style tackle and was walking a tight rope.
The defence played well for the most part with McKiernan impressing me quite a lot as I have often slated him in the past for losing his man and giving up goal chances.
McNamee played well until his macho ego caused him to react to some handbags from Cavan no 9.
How the umpire so far away could see what happened will hopefully cause it to be rescinded but he did raise his hands and push his face quite hard so we'll see. Hopefully the CCCC previous dislike for how we appeal a lot of suspensions won't affect their decision. 😉

All in all a good day at the office against the reigning champions and very potential banana skin. With Derry showing us Donegal aren't that far ahead of us all after all, so I approach this week with a lot of hope and optimism.
McShane looked a little slow I thought but suppose that's to be expected. I wonder will he and Murphy be held in reserve. I'd like to see Mattie up top with Dazza next week.

Would it be hard to get tickets?

MC

Difficult to come to any conclusions on the Cavan game - they certainly didn't manage to raise the intensity to anywhere near where they were last year - and they fell away as the game went on - probably would have been more only for the sending off. I thought it was a harsh red but it possibly looks worse than it was from the view of the umpires or linesmen. Daft reaction but I did wonder what was going on or said to cause the reaction - Mc Namee is a very experienced player and should be able to laugh off a lot of nonsense.

Shame for Derry - they played great but you always sensed Donegal had a little bit extra to win.

I feel next week is still too early for Mc Shane and it's going to take big performances from the rest of the team and a few extra answers from management.

BennyHarp

Has there been any updates on Conor McKenna?
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

Tyrone are likely to seek a personal hearing for full-back Ronan McNamee early this week in a bid to get his red card overturned ahead of Sunday's Ulster semi-final.

McNamee was sent off by David Gough 55 minutes into Tyrone's win over outgoing champions Cavan in Healy Park on Saturday for lifting his hands into the face of Conor Brady, seconds after another skirmish had led to McNamee's fellow defender Michael McKerrnan picking up a yellow.

Before becoming Tyrone joint-manager, Omagh-based solicitor Feargal Logan used to represent Tyrone and countless other clubs and counties in their disciplinary issues with the Central Hearings Committee, Central Appeals Committee, and the Disputes Resolution Authority.

If he's not careful he could find himself double-jobbing this week.

Read More
Tyrone end Cavan's reign as Ulster champions with statement win
"Well if we can find some man who knows anything about the GAA rulebook we might have a look at it! Seriously, I haven't seen it yet really so I need to look at it. It needs to be judged on its own merits.

"We will see how this week goes, there are channels within the Association to deal with this quickly and expeditiously.

"We have a tight week here so maybe the earlier in the week we get that on, the better. We will look at it and study it.

"Nowadays there are plenty of angles so we will see exactly what happened and I am sure he will get the benefit of all the fair play that is in Croke Park."

Tyrone came into the Ulster championship with many question marks hanging over them after that six-goal mauling by Kerry in the Division One semi-finals.

Logan admitted they had been "laid bare" in Killarney. Part of that can be explained by the fact Tyrone adhered strictly to the Covid-19 training protocols and had no collective training done prior to the league.

Since Killarney, there was rising confidence within the camp that their first proper bank of training would translate into a strong performance in Omagh.

"Everyone saw us exposed the last day out and we were sitting ducks a bit coming into this because Cavan were being talked down as well after their own league campaign," Logan admitted. "You always scrutinise yourself most of all in defeats and it was a fairly graphic one.

"Everyone went back to base level and stripped away any thoughts we had.

"The most important thing we had was time, because we had four weeks training together, which we had never had. Before that, it was just league games every week.

"We knew things were going well but were afraid to say it too loud in case the whole thing backfired again.

"We were working hard, we worked our socks off on the training field and I'm just glad some of that showed up today."

The sides were level five times in the first half and after 25 minutes Cavan led for the first and only time in the game at 0-7 to 0-6.

As the game wore on, Tyrone grew in confidence. They kicked 1-6 without reply either side of half time with Brian Kennedy's goal squeezed home at the near post after 40 minutes the signal for them to push on and close it out.

Logan described Darren McCurry as "the consummate professional" after his brilliant 10-point haul. And the return of Cathal McShane, who came on and kicked 0-3 in his first appearance since suffering an ankle injury in February 2020, was even more pleasing.

"Cathal had a long lonely trek for a year and a half," added Logan. "He was edging to go even back in the league time but he did well today and got a few points and great for him, in particular, to be back on board after such a horrific injury."

inroundthesquare

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 12, 2021, 10:32:04 AM

Dooher said "Conor had an injury the last couple of weeks, looking at the long term picture with him to get him right but hoping he will be there or thereabouts for next week"

Under Lights

Any changes for Weekend?

Sounds like McKenna will be available.
What about the CHB issue? Will Burns start here?

kickitin

Quote from: inroundthesquare on July 12, 2021, 02:37:59 PM

Dooher said "Conor had an injury the last couple of weeks, looking at the long term picture with him to get him right but hoping he will be there or thereabouts for next week"

im sure I can't be the only one who heard McKenna, along with Munroe, were both dropped from the panel due to fighting in training. I myself would believe there's something to that story as there's no reason why Munroe wouldn't of been on the panel. Heard this story a few times from a few different sources, i'll be surprised if others haven't heard it. Munroe also said to be drinking on Friday night in Sally O'Briens so thought he might have been dropped off the panel altogether but seen him in the stand on Saturday

toby47

Quote from: kickitin on July 14, 2021, 12:29:09 PM

im sure I can't be the only one who heard McKenna, along with Munroe, were both dropped from the panel due to fighting in training. I myself would believe there's something to that story as there's no reason why Munroe wouldn't of been on the panel. Heard this story a few times from a few different sources, i'll be surprised if others haven't heard it. Munroe also said to be drinking on Friday night in Sally O'Briens so thought he might have been dropped off the panel altogether but seen him in the stand on Saturday

Would be madness dropping two players a week before championship for fighting.

Players fighting a week out would be encouraging i'd have thought

skeog

Wouldnt be many left in Art Mc Crorys time he encouraged full on physicallity in training didnt do a bit of harm.

kickitin

Quote from: the_daddy on July 14, 2021, 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: kickitin on July 14, 2021, 12:29:09 PM

Christ Almighty, the shite you get in WhatsApp groups

has anyone heard where mckenna actually injured his "toe"? has anyone any idea why Munroe wasn't on the panel on Saturday past when he played quite a few league games? people saying now McKenna will be on the team this Sunday, how did he go from missing out on the panel altogether with a "severely injured" toe to making the team 8 days later? surely a full weeks training would have been required at least? be interesting to see if he makes the panel this week.

omagh_gael

2400 allowed in on Sunday...wonder how many tickets will be given to clubs?

Scoring Zone

Does anyone know how the venue decision is made for semi final and finals etc? brewster makes no sense

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Scoring Zone on July 14, 2021, 11:48:37 PM
Does anyone know how the venue decision is made for semi final and finals etc? brewster makes no sense

I'd say priority is 6 County grounds, so it was there or Celtic Park I'd guess.
With CV cases very high in Derry, it may have been decided to keep out of there.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

omagh_gael

Very important to have McNamee available this weekend, will be him or Hampsey on McBrearty (and Murphy when he comes on). Would Rory Brennan be a good match up on Jamie Brennan?