Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 22, 2021, 12:21:53 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 22, 2021, 10:39:37 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 17, 2021, 12:44:59 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on June 17, 2021, 12:35:30 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 10:52:50 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 17, 2021, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2021, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 17, 2021, 08:22:01 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 17, 2021, 07:42:56 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 17, 2021, 06:33:22 AM
Sinn Fein will get shafted by the Tories on this ...can't believe they are going to trust them on it and nominate a DFM
Will they? I'd say it'll be similar to the abortion and gay marriage issue in that the Brits stepping in allows both sides to save face.

Do you trust the Tories to keep their word?

SF looking to the UK parliament, a parliament that they don't take their seats in and that they don't recognise its authority to pass Irish Language act is next level hypocrisy.

Anyway I am glad that Stormont hasn't fallen and everyone can get on with the important work of governing this place.

It might be Ironic but I dont see how it is hypocrisy unless you think the idea of them even being in stormont is hypocrisy.

SF constantly tell us that WM doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. That other Nationalists are seeming less Irish for taking their seats. And now all of a sudden they are happy for a Parliament that they don't recognise or take their seats in to make laws for the North. That is pure hypocrisy.

The SDLP are constantly telling us that you need to take your seats in Westminster to have any influence. Yet SF have done "from the sidelines" what the SDLP have not been able to do form the green benches.

So:
Language Act deal achieved
DUP weakened
Abstentionist policy vindicated (again)
SDLP widely exposed as cynical opportunists

Not a bad few days work from those big bad shinners.

Apart from attempting to facilitate DUP intransigence on the Irish language, what else have the SDLP been doing these last few days?

Remind me why we are talking about SF v SDLP again?
SF don't compare themselves to the SDLP, but Eastwood's only mantra is a but SF. I should be an SDLP voter but I find their lack of a coherent strategy off putting. I am uncomfortable with some of SF's antics around commemorations, Storey funeral and constantly asking for a border poll. But I can't buy what the SDLP are selling either. With the exception of Mathew O'Toole and Nichola Mallon the SDLP are bereft of talent.

What do you make of Hanna? I wouldn't be dissimilar from your views here either. I am not a SF fan but there is nowhere near enough about them for me either. I really don't think Eastwood is a good leader.

O'Toole is the leader in waiting but needs to serve a bit more time in the party first. He seems clued in.

Hanna has her moments but then goes and does something wild like "resigning" from the SDLP Assembly grouping and cosying up to FG members after Colum agrees some sort of thing or other with FF which no one really can make head nor tail of..

Colum is too busy chasing sound bites and other nonsense.

imtommygunn

Tbh he's full of shite.

You could be right on Hanna. Yet to make my mind up. I do like Mallon and hear nothing but good things on O'Toole. I would love the SDLP to be strong but they're just not.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 22, 2021, 12:47:18 PM
Tbh he's full of shite.

You could be right on Hanna. Yet to make my mind up. I do like Mallon and hear nothing but good things on O'Toole. I would love the SDLP to be strong but they're just not.

Which is even more scandalous when you look at sinn fein North of the border, Gildernew be only one that impresses me. The rest voted in on party ticket

Finucane has been an anti climax

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on June 22, 2021, 11:01:18 AM
Sinn Fein will get shafted by the Tories on this ...can't believe they are going to trust them on it and nominate a DFM
Will they? I'd say it'll be similar to the abortion and gay marriage issue in that the Brits stepping in allows both sides to save face.

SF looking to the UK parliament, a parliament that they don't take their seats in and that they don't recognise its authority to pass Irish Language act is next level hypocrisy.

Anyway I am glad that Stormont hasn't fallen and everyone can get on with the important work of governing this place.

It might be Ironic but I dont see how it is hypocrisy unless you think the idea of them even being in stormont is hypocrisy.

SF constantly tell us that WM doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. That other Nationalists are seeming less Irish for taking their seats. And now all of a sudden they are happy for a Parliament that they don't recognise or take their seats in to make laws for the North. That is pure hypocrisy.

The SDLP are constantly telling us that you need to take your seats in Westminster to have any influence. Yet SF have done "from the sidelines" what the SDLP have not been able to do form the green benches.

So:
DUP weakened

Apart from attempting to facilitate DUP intransigence on the Irish language, what else have the SDLP been doing these last few days?

SF don't compare themselves to the SDLP, but Eastwood's only mantra is a but SF. I should be an SDLP voter but I find their lack of a coherent strategy off putting. I am uncomfortable with some of SF's antics around commemorations, Storey funeral and constantly asking for a border poll. But I can't buy what the SDLP are selling either. With the exception of Mathew O'Toole and Nichola Mallon the SDLP are bereft of talent.

Your views would appear to be in the minority.

Colum Eastwood Social Democratic & Labour Party

Elisha McCallion Sinn Féin

Majority 17110
For fcuks sake I would get more votes than McCallion. Look at SF's votes in the round.

Applesisapples

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 22, 2021, 12:21:53 PM

So:
DUP weakened

What do you make of Hanna? I wouldn't be dissimilar from your views here either. I am not a SF fan but there is nowhere near enough about them for me either. I really don't think Eastwood is a good leader.
At the start I thought Hanna was a breath of fresh air, but she got her ass handed to her on Nolan a couple of times over Brexit and floundered, so not sure.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 22, 2021, 01:14:02 PM
Tbh he's full of shite.

Which is even more scandalous when you look at sinn fein North of the border, Gildernew be only one that impresses me. The rest voted in on party ticket

I don't agree, I have had dealings with John O'Dowd, Conor Murphy and a few others, SF have a bit of depth and work hard locally. I have been frustrated with some SDLP MLA's when seeking assistance.

skeog

See SF South want to reduce Pension Age to 65 did they not vote to raise it here to 66 some time ago.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 22, 2021, 04:17:16 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 22, 2021, 01:14:02 PM
Tbh he's full of shite.

I don't agree, I have had dealings with John O'Dowd, Conor Murphy and a few others, SF have a bit of depth and work hard locally. I have been frustrated with some SDLP MLA's when seeking assistance.

Aye forgot about o dowd.hes good

Murphy was a disaster during procurement process at start of Covid and would be ate alive south of the border and carries too much baggage .

shark

Quote from: skeog on June 22, 2021, 04:19:37 PM
See SF South want to reduce Pension Age to 65 did they not vote to raise it here to 66 some time ago.

Their manifesto for last general election proposed a massive overhaul to the existing pensions setup. They want to do away with the existing tax incentives, with the argument being that they mostly benefit those who are already the wealthiest. I'm sure that is true, as it makes sense that those with more disposable income will be able to put more aside. But acting like there is no impeding pensions cliff coming is dangerous in the extreme. In 30 years time more than 50% of the population will be over 65

thebigfella

Quote from: shark on June 22, 2021, 05:18:59 PM

Their manifesto for last general election proposed a massive overhaul to the existing pensions setup. They want to do away with the existing tax incentives, with the argument being that they mostly benefit those who are already the wealthiest. I'm sure that is true, as it makes sense that those with more disposable income will be able to put more aside. But acting like there is no impeding pensions cliff coming is dangerous in the extreme. In 30 years time more than 50% of the population will be over 65

Good luck with them on that.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: thebigfella on June 22, 2021, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: shark on June 22, 2021, 05:18:59 PM

Good luck with them on that.

They have very little experience of directing big spend in a jurisdiction that mostly depends on running its own economy. Up here it's hand outs, and even then they still managed to struggle . They are targeting nurses wages in the south while blocking it up here

You cant run with the fox and the hounds

general_lee

Well it's just slightly different in that in Dublin you're spending your own wages, in Stormont you're spending your parents' pocket money

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Add Dermot Nicholl and Deirdre Hargey to list of SF useless twats

Deirdre Hargey should be sacked

imtommygunn

JoG2

Much sq meterage of tarmac do you have Fear??  ;D