Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: bingobus on August 21, 2009, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: talktothehand on August 21, 2009, 01:03:19 PM
fair enough. for me, growing up in a town that is 79% protestant and 100% intimidating to catholics the gaa was a way of maintaining our identity. we had no pitch, were openly attacked on many occasions, had threats made to our families and this all when i was an under 16. you can realize that this debate is different for us in the north. with the best will in the world there is nothing sickens us more than moralizing southerners telling us to get over it. you might like to look at the fact it was michael bloody collins dropped us in this shite in the first place!

I wonder sometimes why "yous" even want to be part of the same country as us "sountherners" at times.

I'd pass no remarks if that came from someone in D4 but coming from a man who is the width of a pen stroke in 1921 away from having sterling as his currency it's short of amazing.

talktothehand

talktothehand

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 21, 2009, 01:40:39 PM
Quote from: talktothehand on August 21, 2009, 01:03:19 PM
fair enough. for me, growing up in a town that is 79% protestant and 100% intimidating to catholics the gaa was a way of maintaining our identity. we had no pitch, were openly attacked on many occasions, had threats made to our families and this all when i was an under 16. you can realize that this debate is different for us in the north. with the best will in the world there is nothing sickens us more than moralizing southerners telling us to get over it. you might like to look at the fact it was michael bloody collins dropped us in this shite in the first place!

Not strictly true. Had Collins been alive when the Boundary Commission was convened in 1925, he would have not been bullied like Eoin MacNeill was. MacNeill simply wasn't cut out for the job and Collins would have hammered out a better deal and the map of Ireland would look very different.

The North wasn't really a big issue in the Treaty debates because people believed that the inclusion of the Boundary Commission in the clauses of the Treaty would address this issue.

the fact that there was a boundary commission at all was due to the deal collins signed in london after being thoroughly outsmarted by llyod george.  the rest is just conjecture. stick to facts.

Mongander

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 12:53:13 PM
OK I might be out here on my own about this one, but where these people not convicted terrorists? Alot of people consider terrorism a form of criminality. So you could say that criminals should not have special status!

great stuff!
someone with a Michael Collins avatar spouting Maggie Thatcherisms.
:o
Just what a GAA forum needs.
well done muppet.
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

boojangles

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 01:34:06 PM
Quote from: talktothehand on August 21, 2009, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: talktothehand on August 21, 2009, 12:57:19 PM
OK I might be out here on my own about this one, but where these people not convicted terrorists? Alot of people consider terrorism a form of criminality. So you could say that criminals should not have special status!
one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist. maggie thatcher did indeed say crime is crime is crime. pleased to see you are aligning yourself with that war criminal.[/i]

So because I am against terrorism I agree with that evil bitch, ok I get it, because I believe in having good roads I must like Hitler & because I'm Catholic I must agree with the Crusades, because I read books I think we should cut down all the rainforests. The U.N. should do something about me, eh![/u]

This is purely a question?  It is a question, but I am unaware of why each of these men where in prison. Where any of these men convicted of murder, accessory to murder or any other form of terrorism or other crime?

Irish Free State 1922-1937, the correct name for the current 26 county Republic is Ireland (it is not called the Republic of Ireland for that matter either). Maybe those people who regularly bash the Independent State/Country and are neither tax-payers or residents won't be wanting an Irish Passport Holders either. Bashing Ireland (Independent State) and claiming it does not exist, then applying for a passport of that country is hypocracy. I am also proud to be part of the Irish nation (32 counties) land from the Island of Ireland. Sorry rant over, but we are allowed to disagree too.

in your opinion should IRELAND, the country you talk of, have 26 or 32 counties??

The Island/Nation has 32
The Country/State had 26
The Reality is 26
The Dream would be 32

of course not. but you were using one of her famous quotes at the time of the hunger strikes. so the corollary is you are either being deliberately offensive or ignorant of the historical and political sensitivity of the issue.

Neither its just my view on terrorism.

Like you said above I did not experience growing up in Northern Ireland. Often people in the North don't like us expressing any views on the 6 counties, which is a bit like saying your view of an ideal Irish State is where we can't have an opinion about 6 Ulster counties but you can have an opinion on 26 Connacht, Munster, Leinster & Ulster counties, that most of you did not grow up in and many have never lived in. You might notice many people in 25 of those 26 counties have a hostility towards 1 (Dublin) you don't understand the Culchies!!! (or maybe the Jackeens either) why do they slag our great! capital, sure some of it is historic fun, some of it is football, but alot of it (especially from people from the West of the Shannon) or the extreme West of Munster is down to paying taxes to a government in a Capital city that takes those taxes, then removes our services, doesn't improve infrastructure (in fact takes up railways) A Capital City(County) & surrounding counties that soak up all the development & tax money. About 3 years ago (about the time I stopped reading the FF mouthpiece) the Irish Independent printed a report that showed that the top two counties for producing graduates where 1. Galway & 2. Mayo, Clare, Kerry & Cork came next, with Sligo, Roscommon, Limerick, Tipp & Leitrim next. Out of the West = Taxes, Services, Graduates & skilled Labourers. Into the East = Taxes, Services, Graduates & skilled Labourers. You see we have things to moan about too, but nearly to a man any Nordie (excuse the term, I have used Culchie & Jackeen already) I meet thinks we have no right to these things and we should love the capital of the romantic 32 future super Ireland.

You can add in Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal there also as having its services etc taken away.West of the Shannon are not the only areas discriminated against in terms of distribution of taxpayers money. the last time I checked the trains still run to Mayo.
We can all cry and whinge about discrimination in parts of the Republic but lets be honest I don't think anybody who grew up in the Republic over the last 40 years could ever compare their hardship to the hardship and suffering encountered by the majority Nationalists/Republicans/Catholics in the 6 counties.If you do,then you are kidding yourself.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Mongander on August 21, 2009, 02:59:16 PM

great stuff!
someone with a Michael Collins avatar spouting Maggie Thatcherisms.
:o
Just what a GAA forum needs.
well done muppet.

Ya & I can tell you anyone calling themselves the IRA after 1922 are terrorist criminals in my mind. The Irish people voted for the Treaty, the Irish people voted for The Good Friday Agreement. I am not spouting Thatcher I am saying that Terrorism is a criminal act, if she said the same, then that means that wow 2 people in a planet with 6 billion people once said the same obvious thing.

talktothehand

are you norman tebbit in disguise? if a territory is gerrymandered is it truly a democracy? you spout utter nonsense fella! you keep your tory love in there! i'd be angry if your weren't so obviously a tit.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Mongander on August 21, 2009, 02:42:47 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted already...

why were you surprised this had not already been posted?
surely the blighted views of Nelson McCausland merit no mention on a GAA forum?

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PMIt's a shame yet again that some people have felt it appropriate to use a GAA ground for such activities. And all it does is give the DUP another stick to beat the Association with.

why is it a shame?
and for who?
surely this is a decision for the people of Galbally, and the GAA community in County Tyrone to decide upon.
how does it affect you what the club facilities in Galbally are used for?
The 1981 Hunger Strike was a pivotal and emotional time for all Gaels on the island of Ireland, and the lives of the ten brave men who lost their lives deserve to be celebrated. WAS IT REALLY, WAS IT, WAS IT, WAS IT? I am a Gael carrying a Gaelic surnname, a clan that has been in this area for at least 1,500 years, if you DARE say I'm not a Gael you truely are an idiot.
County Tyrone lost Vol. Martin Hurson during the Hunger Strike and the people of his local community (and the wider republican family) are completely within their rights to celebrate this young man's life within the locality.

Obviously this is another act of political point scoring by the DUP who are only concerned in the seeming rise in popularity by the TUV following the recent European Elections.

Shame on the SDLP for lowering themselves (once again) into siding with hardline unionism, and commenting on yet another 'non-issue'.

Tír Eoghain Abú!!
TÁL!!

True Gael this, true Gael that, bloody hell what racist drivel. Its often people with feck all Gaelic ancestory that spout this.

talktothehand

what has ancestry got to do with it. we all came from spain and northern france anyway. and those who didn't are vikings or saxons!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 03:17:46 PM
Ya & I can tell you anyone calling themselves the IRA after 1922 are terrorist criminals in my mind. The Irish people voted for the Treaty, the Irish people voted for The Good Friday Agreement. I am not spouting Thatcher I am saying that Terrorism is a criminal act, if she said the same, then that means that wow 2 people in a planet with 6 billion people once said the same obvious thing.

Pre 1922 the IRA were also classified as criminals by the powers that were, they executed them FFS.

You've just spouted the ultimate in hypocrisy -- those fighting for my freedom are freedom fighters, but those fighting for your freedom (in the same country from the same occupier) are criminals. Oh boy.

And if you want to talk about elections in the period, don't gloss over the election of 1918, which secured an SF majority for all Ireland.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: talktothehand on August 21, 2009, 03:20:35 PM
are you norman tebbit in disguise? if a territory is gerrymandered is it truly a democracy? you spout utter nonsense fella! you keep your tory love in there! i'd be angry if your weren't so obviously a tit.

Feck off will ya, there you go throwing around West Brit stuff, everyone knows that the Northern Ireland is a false entity that has no historical reference, except the ones it has created for itself since partition. Ulster would have made more sense, but the Brits knew that it might not take long for Nationalists to outvote Unionists. The Treaty had to happen because the British would have destroyed us all. The people knew the implications of voting for or against the Treaty, they voted for. The Good Friday Agreement was voted for North & South of the Border. Can people not accept that alot of people think what the Hunger Strikers did was Wrong, & many people can't stand Sinn Fein.

Mongander

Ya & I can tell you anyone calling themselves the IRA after 1922 are terrorist criminals in my mind.

...and what part of the six counties are you from mo chara?
The Bogside?
The Falls?
South Armagh?
South Derry?
Somewhere in Tyrone perhaps?

The Provisional IRA were the defenders of the Catholic population since their emergence in 1969 when people were being burnt out of their homes whilst the Free State 'Government' "stood idly by"
How an army born to defend an oppressed and under seige native community can be branded "terrorist" is beyond me...
???

The Irish people voted for the Treaty, the Irish people voted for The Good Friday Agreement.

yeah...where did i say they didn't?
what is your point here?!?
???

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 03:17:46 PMI am not spouting Thatcher I am saying that Terrorism is a criminal act, if she said the same, then that means that wow 2 people in a planet with 6 billion people once said the same obvious thing.

it was quoted before, and i'll say it again, "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".
Without those who gave up their lives on the 1981 Hunger Strike there would never have been such a thing as political status for prisoners - republican or otherwise.

as for being in the same camp with Maggie, whatever makes you happy..it just was not so "obvious" for myself and the majority of my community during the Troubles...
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

Mongander

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 03:22:16 PM
The 1981 Hunger Strike was a pivotal and emotional time for all Gaels on the island of Ireland, and the lives of the ten brave men who lost their lives deserve to be celebrated. WAS IT REALLY, WAS IT, WAS IT, WAS IT? I am a Gael carrying a Gaelic surnname, a clan that has been in this area for at least 1,500 years, if you DARE say I'm not a Gael you truely are an idiot.
True Gael this, true Gael that, bloody hell what racist drivel. Its often people with feck all Gaelic ancestory that spout this.

another great point well argued.
where did i claim you weren't a true Gael?
& how could such a thing be classified as racist??

one thing we will agree on, you are an idiot.
;)
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Mongander on August 21, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 03:22:16 PM

another great point well argued.
where did i claim you weren't a true Gael?
& how could such a thing be classified as racist??

one thing we will agree on, you are an idiot.
;)

Typical, just because someone disagrees with you, at least you don't shoot people for that anymore, or do you?

Hardy

Quote from: Mongander on August 21, 2009, 03:31:11 PM
The Provisional IRA were the defenders of the Catholic population

Hmmmm ... tell that to Jean McConville's family. Or to the families of the hundreds of other Catholics they murdered and "disappeared". Some defending.