Surely this:

Quote from: Main Street on August 19, 2009, 11:50:29 PM

Rule 7 "The Association shall be non-party political. Party
political questions shall not be discussed at its
meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or
representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any
party political movement."

says different?

Not liking tyrone is different from not wanting the biggest sporting organization in the country, and one which i'm sure we both hold dear, to be turned into a political football.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 04:38:29 PM

Surely this:

Quote from: Main Street on August 19, 2009, 11:50:29 PM

Rule 7 "The Association shall be non-party political. Party
political questions shall not be discussed at its
meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or
representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any
party political movement."

says different?

Not liking tyrone is different from not wanting the biggest sporting organization in the country, and one which i'm sure we both hold dear, to be turned into a political football.

huge difference
this is where the actual club and club members in full representation of the club actively indulge in the activities of the political event being held on the premises.
As yet, no club has done this therefore the ruling has not been breached.
If that was the case you would be correct, and the club hauled over the coals for doing so.
But as it stands all the club/grounds are doing is providing a location for these third parties to use.
so the answer , most likely to your dissatisfaction is 'no, there is no breach of GAA rules'.
therefore no politicisation.

DuffleKing

well if this demonstration had been held on GAA property i'd have had an issue with it, you are right. as it hasn't, i have no problem whatsoever.

In general i do not like even the subtle politicising of the GAA in the north that Sinn fein operates. The positioning of people by stealth within committees to influence clubs is the first thing that has to stop.

talktothehand

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 02:39:29 PM
As I said before the issue here is Mc Causland's hypocrisy, Unionist paramilitaries are in most Irish League clubs, knocking seven shades of shite out of each other and some are even on Boards of Directors.

The reality up here is that it would be a brave man who would stand up to paramilitaries of any hue and deny them use of facilities be they GAA or soccer

well said! that idiot mc causland is a bigot and it wouldn't matter what we were doing he'd snipe at the gaa. he complains about kevin lynch's dungiven being named after a hunger striker yet doesn't see why people object to a band named after a loyalist paramilitary (freeman memorial winyhall) marching by kevin mcdaid's house here in coleraine.  bands in this town carry uvf and uda logos and there is never a mention of it. the gaa is part of the republican culture in the north and i feel it is no coincidence that the border counties of tyrone and armagh have been dominant this decade.  if the hall is OWNED by the gaa ok it is wrong. if on the other hand it is a community hall the GAA has FECK ALL to do with it!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 04:55:36 PM

well if this demonstration had been held on GAA property i'd have had an issue with it, you are right. as it hasn't, i have no problem whatsoever.

In general i do not like even the subtle politicising of the GAA in the north that Sinn fein operates. The positioning of people by stealth within committees to influence clubs is the first thing that has to stop.
firstly this instance it didnt happen on wholey GAA premises. The rules are not being broken for the other instances where FF/Fg/SDLP/SF/IFA/Texas holdem etc etc have the use of GAA club premises.
If so they would be taken to task.

your point about sf joining committees is a completely different matter.
As GAA people they are entitled to join clubs and join theclub executives etc.
However once they start trying to weild any kind of party stance within the club they are completely
wrong and that would breach that ruling.
However while I would agree with you on this - it is not the topic at hand (and thankfully this is not a common problem as yet at least).
Otherwise the GAA is not political and not politicised - certainly not by holding 'events' at or on their premises.

DuffleKing

we're almost in agreement. even hosting partizan polical events on GAA premises is not on in my view, and contrary to that ruling.

I don't think texas holdem is political

dec

So Nelson does not know who the current All Ireland champions are but does know exactly which clause of the GAA constitution applies in this case.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: dec on August 20, 2009, 05:13:31 PM
So Nelson does not know who the current All Ireland champions are but does know exactly which clause of the GAA constitution applies in this case.
Nelson is very good at finding things that offend him.

Puckoon

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 02:39:29 PM
As I said before the issue here is Mc Causland's hypocrisy, Unionist paramilitaries are in most Irish League clubs, knocking seven shades of shite out of each other and some are even on Boards of Directors.

The reality up here is that it would be a brave man who would stand up to paramilitaries of any hue and deny them use of facilities be they GAA or soccer

Tony you couldnt be more wrong if you tried. While what Ive highlighted is an issue, it is nowhere near the issue being highlighted by McCausland. That is THEIR issue. The correct use of GAA property is for the GAA to sort out, not what wankers are running irish league clubs.

Bud Wiser

QuoteYou are a first rate idiot Bud. This issue is not about McCausland but is all about the proper use of our GAA facilities.
If you can't see the good reason for the rule, go off to some other sport.

Well, well well, I would have to go off to another sport if there were knackers like you in the GAA.  This is a discussion board, in case you don't know. I am entitled to my opinion, you to yours so keep the personal insults to yourself or you might get them back ten fold, oe worse.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 10:54:59 AM
Gnevin, I don't ue whataboutery as an argument, I merely highlight hypocrisy
whataboutery in 2 easy steps
Step one grudging accept your side may be slightly at fault .
Step two  quickly highlight how the other side are worse.
Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2009, 09:27:45 AM
While I think it would be better for GAA grounds not to be used for such events

Step 1 check!
Mr Mc Causland should get rojnd to addressing the following issues as well

1.The involvement of people who are, if not members of loyalist paramilitaries have strong associations with them in Irish League Soocer Clubs Boardrooms

2. The commemoration hosted on the pitch before an actual game, by Glentoran FC for the late David Ervine PUP/UVF

3. The regular violent fallouts between various rival loyalist factions in the social clubs of Irish League soccer clubs.

4. The alienation of 45% of the community in the 6 counties from local soccer in general and the IFA international team in particular

Step 2 check !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 19, 2009, 09:43:39 PM

I don't agree with political events occurring on GAA grounds and i think my own views are borne out in GAA rules?

Why the feck do Sinn Fein feel the need to try to create the impression that they run football clubs in certain areas i'll never know. Is it an ego thing or a serving the community strategy?
I think it's an ego thing as it couldn't be a serving the community strategy since they only serve themselves
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2009, 01:38:29 AM
Well said Aoise. Would that our compatriots could shed a tear of our blood for our brethren who gave all for every one of us... Catholic, Protestant, and Dissenter. White, Black or Other.
Fcuk off Maguire. Post this shite elsewhere, how about the OWC?

Cop on a Chara.
:D :D :D :D
Sorry. There's some real pro IRA shite talk on this thread, but your effort wins the prize. Quality post!

Maguire01

Quote from: Aoise on August 20, 2009, 01:21:45 AM
Maguire I have a question for you - what exactly did the hunger strikers do that you find so offensive?
I have no problem with the hunger strikers, nor am I offended by them. And I would defend the right of anyone who wants to commemorate them. I just don't think that GAA grounds should be used for such events - there are plenty of alternatives.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2009, 01:38:29 AM
Fcuk off Maguire. Post this shite elsewhere, how about the OWC?

Cop on a Chara.
There's no need to get ignorant about it. Surely it's acceptable to discuss something relevant to the GAA on a GAA discussion board?

It's a shame that some people here - many of whom would call themselves Irish Republicans - feel that to be Irish or to be a GAA man you have to share one political opinion or share the same outlook on such matters, and dismiss any alternative view.

Maguire01

Quote from: rrhf on August 20, 2009, 08:48:29 AM
This in an era when we see public commemorations on a weekly basis in Britain of their fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq - Ive yet to see the venues questioned?       
There was an army parade in Belfast last year that caused a bit of a fuss.